• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel CEO says the industry should stop using benchmarks

Soldato
You only to have to look at areas where benchmarks are less common (e.g. Hifi Audio) and it quickly becomes a "but it feels better" situation without any tangible proof.

When the purple shirt guys have their telly adverts they love playing the Intel jingle. Its alright folks, its Intel. You don't need to know anything else.

Soldato
I've not read the article but reading the title and just thought "lol, they must really be struggling to keep up".
Of course they'd say this, AMD are making them look bad. They need to think outside the box and redesign their CPU range and not just rerun each series with a small speed increase.

Man of Honour
I didn't watch his video, but reading the quotes, it has me wonder if he's more referring to management than consumers, like they need to be more aware of what they're making and why, rather than just "oh look, our 3D Mark is higher, we're awesome", cos for example: ultimately the whole comet lake range has clock speeds and performance chosen on purpose to bump AMD off the charts. Since Comet Lake is nothing new, just yet another pumping of an ancient architecture. If they had their focus on offering something innovative, that actually meets market demand, then maybe we'd get more what we want.

Soldato
When Intel can't compete with their products, they attack their opponents and move the goalposts. It's not like Intel hasn't been caught breaking the law by paying people not to buy AMD.

Associate
Intel CEO knows his company products are about to get ripped a new one. AMD have had this strategy for years with their GPU and it hasn't worked.

I was surprised he didn't learn this speech and deliver it like a CEO. Was a really amateur delivery.

Caporegime
All these companies, including AMD are to some extent dishonest and manipulative... we all play that game.

But Intel are particularly sleazy, slimy, weaselling their way around having to tackle their competition head on.... if Intel was a person they would be the chinless little pooweasel nobody likes let alone respects.

Man of Honour
All these companies, including AMD are to some extent dishonest and manipulative... we all play that game.

But Intel are particularly sleazy, slimy, weaselling their way around having to tackle their competition head on.... if Intel was a person they would be the chinless little pooweasel nobody likes let alone respects.

The problem with Intel right now is that they have nothing remotely competitive against infinity fabric, its not even their chips or core design that are the issue the big problem is they don't have the fabric tech to do what AMD are. Infinity fabric is frankly pretty damn amazing and zen is great but without the fabric it is nothing. Intel have tried to make this work, we know this as we can buy failed MCM Intel chips off of ebay, until Intel can get their fabric in order this is a blood bath, and please don't say EMIB its not even in the same ball park!

I do hope they get their house in order a name alone, won't keep a market. Ask Kodak! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I do hope they get their house in order a name alone, won't keep a market. Ask Kodak! :)

So do i. Your reference to Kodak is one that i have made many times over the last 3 years or so on here on different threads. It's still a very valid comparison. In it's hayday, Kodak was much bigger than Intel is even now. And in it's hayday Kodak was just as complacent as Intel is now. The major difference between the two though is that Kodak couldn't bribe any OEM's to use it's products, Intel of course can and indeed does even to this day. As was mentioned in a few posts above, you can't watch any Purple Shirt tv advert without the "Intel Inside" logo and sound at the start of every advert.

Soldato
So do i. Your reference to Kodak is one that i have made many times over the last 3 years or so on here on different threads. It's still a very valid comparison. In it's hayday, Kodak was much bigger than Intel is even now. And in it's hayday Kodak was just as complacent as Intel is now. The major difference between the two though is that Kodak couldn't bribe any OEM's to use it's products, Intel of course can and indeed does even to this day. As was mentioned in a few posts above, you can't watch any Purple Shirt tv advert without the "Intel Inside" logo and sound at the start of every advert.

The thing with Kodak is they suffered from the Buggy Whip Maker problem, where the business they were in was totally superseded by new technology. Kodak had an opportunity to go into that market, but failed to do so, rather like Blockbuster's opportunity to buy Netflix for peanuts. The people at the top did not have the vision to see where their industry was going to go.

Intel would have to be totally destroyed by AMD in all metrics over a long period, for the same thing to happen, which seems unlikely given their entrenched position in many fields, deep pockets, and market domination. What Intel makes hasn't become useless, it's just being outperformed in performance and cost.

The only thing that would really bring Intel down if they couldn't pivot quickly enough would be some totally new kind of processor technology. Biochips, quantum computers, diamond chips, etc. Something totally off the wall that simply made all Intel chips obsolete.

Soldato
You can see why Intel is worried.

It's just launched a brand "new" lineup of comet lake processors and they should be selling like hot cakes right???

Nope https://imgur.com/a/71iOWIb#PCFMvQR

Mindfactory data shows no measurable change between pre and post comet lake release - Intel isn't selling anymore chips than before comet lake

Soldato
Yep, let's stop using benchmarks. Let's stop doing reviews altogether! Who reads reviews anyway, I know when I bought my car I just saw one that was shiny and bought it without even checking out what anyone else has to offer.

Isn't that the normal way?

Associate
The thing with Kodak is they suffered from the Buggy Whip Maker problem, where the business they were in was totally superseded by new technology. Kodak had an opportunity to go into that market, but failed to do so, rather like Blockbuster's opportunity to buy Netflix for peanuts. The people at the top did not have the vision to see where their industry was going to go.

They did go into the market. They did it belatedly, tried to still make it all about physical photographs (by printing) and did the opposite of what had made them money for nearly 100 years by making the printers expensive and the ink cheap. Just like AMD did with Bulldozer.

Soldato
They did go into the market. They did it belatedly, tried to still make it all about physical photographs (by printing) and did the opposite of what had made them money for nearly 100 years by making the printers expensive and the ink cheap. Just like AMD did with Bulldozer.

Trying to drag people back from the digital tidal wave coming at them and back to paper photographs was never a viable way to transition their business forwards, but they couldn't see anything else.

Man of Honour
You can see why Intel is worried.

It's just launched a brand "new" lineup of comet lake processors and they should be selling like hot cakes right???

Nope https://imgur.com/a/71iOWIb#PCFMvQR

Mindfactory data shows no measurable change between pre and post comet lake release - Intel isn't selling anymore chips than before comet lake

Looks grim doesn't it? You would have to be clinically insane to pull the trigger on pretty much any Intel sku right now, at first glance the 10700 seems a decent buy and chip but then it's right up there at 3900x money and the 3900x will decimate it in anything productivity while losing out slightly in gaming, but then the 3900x can be paired with b450 so it's not really comparable, in my eyes a chip that can and will run on the £42 b450 in my wifes machine is a different prospect to that 10700. Where does that leave us, it leaves us in a position where Intel got nothing and went ahead and released what is effectively the same old junk at the very limits of what it is capable of. Fine chips by any standard but nothing innovative.

Lets not forget that the Intel cpu's we are still buying today have a linage that goes all the way back to the pentium iii in 1999 which formed the basis of the pentium m laptop processors and later the core line of processors.

Trying to drag people back from the digital tidal wave coming at them and back to paper photographs was never a viable way to transition their business forwards, but they couldn't see anything else.

Yet they did have enough foresight to invent the first digital camera :D They literally invented the future that they then refused to embrace! You couldn't make it up. Intel sadly never invented anything useful really or at least not for many many years. Their judgement for the last 15 years or more should really be put under more scrutiny and for the sake of no competition they would have been pulled up much, much sooner. I mean name me one awesome thing that they have brought to market that has been truly revolutionary in the last 15 years from basically any aspect?

Then you look at where they have ploughed in huge money and failed, Itanium 64, graphics just full stop really, everything graphics, software, arguably storage? All of their software imo total junk so that gets tagged in there. Genuinely over the last decade or more you would be hard pushed to have noticed that Intel were at the forefront of silicon technology. Intel imo hasn't innovated properly in over 15 years and I am starting to think they have forgotten how to, or if they haven't forgotten how to then they are doing a poor job of bringing stuff to market.

Meanwhile you have the likes of Qualcom, Samsung, TSMC, AMD, ARM, Apple.. the list goes on, that are being truly innovative and finding new and refreshing ways of approaching and dealing with these almost age old, new challenges. These companies are doing that while actually having viable, marketable products at the end. All the while Intel are still seemingly speed binning skylake? The warning signs have been there for years but the industry bar a handful of analysts refused to believe it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks grim doesn't it? You would have to be clinically insane to pull the trigger on pretty much any Intel sku right now, at first glance the 10700 seems a decent buy and chip but then it's right up there at 3900x money and the 3900x will decimate it in anything productivity while losing out slightly in gaming, but then the 3900x can be paired with b450 so it's not really comparable, in my eyes a chip that can and will run on the £42 b450 in my wifes machine is a different prospect to that 10700. Where does that leave us, it leaves us in a position where Intel got nothing and went ahead and released what is effectively the same old junk at the very limits of what it is capable of. Fine chips by any standard but nothing innovative.

I think it's a classic case of a company getting complacent because of a monopoly. Intel have basically become a marketing led company designed to make as much money as possible with incremental updates, rather than the engineering powerhouse from a couple of decades back. The lack of any serious competition has helped Intel's complacency. As you say, they've barely innovated, merely copied other people's inventions that have become industry standards.

That's fine if you've got great products being developed and ready to go behind the scenes, your competitors aren't executing, and you're still making a lot of cash. However, when someone like AMD pulls out a better product that's cheaper to make and sold for less, then you are stuffed. Intel has been hit by a perfect storm. AMD with a cheaper, better product, Intel design failures effectively making Intel chips slower or less secure (take your pick), Intel hitting process walls and unable to transition to 10/7 nm. Intel have been caught with their pants down because they didn't look to the future and plan for it, they just kept thinking that people would have to buy what they made because there were no other alternatives, and that just seems to be hubris that will catch you out, sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom