Poll: Do you generally have a lie-in at the weekend? (Poll?)

Do you generally have a lie-in at the weekend?

• Yes

Votes: 103 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 93 40.4%
  • What's a weekend?

Votes: 34 14.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
I'm a little curious after I had a falling out with a neighbour on Saturday morning when he started replacing the fence in his back garden and started hammering at 7:30 am, which in my opinion is not on at all.

He's a manual labourer by trade and I get the impression he gets up the same time every day, working or not, and didn't seem to believe other people did any different. I on the other hand, and a lot of people I know work Monday to Friday and do like to sleep in at the weekend. Not late. I'm usually up by about 9 o'clock, and I think that's an acceptable time to be starting DIY projects so as not to annoy your neighbours.

I don't think this needs many different options so I'm just going with:

• Yes
  • No
  • What's a weekend?
If this could be turned into a poll, that'd be nice too :)

Caporegime
It’s early, but people who work all week only have limited time to do things indoors. If he’s putting a fence up, it’s hardly something he’s gonna be doing every week, so I’d have just stuck my head under the covers and put up with it, with the expectation that he would do the same if I decided to do the same one weekend.

Man of Honour
Pre-COVID I was up at 6:30 on weekdays and had a nice lie in on the weekends with an alarm set at 10am. Since I've started working from home I'm up at 8 on weekdays and around about the same time on weekends without an alarm.

Soldato
OP
It’s early, but people who work all week only have limited time to do things indoors. If he’s putting a fence up, it’s hardly something he’s gonna be doing every week, so I’d have just stuck my head under the covers and put up with it, with the expectation that he would do the same if I decided to do the same one weekend.

You're right, that's not something he would do every weekend, though he has rebuilt that fence about 4 times in the last 35 years because storms keep blowing it down. You'd think he'd get the hint and just build a wall ...

He is a constant DIY'er though. I'm sure his house must be a TARDIS as I can't see that you could do so much DIY all the time without living in a mansion. I'm probably exaggerating a little but he does do a LOT of DIY.

If that's not bad enough, I have newish neighbours on the other side (~3 years) who are also constantly banging away or using power tools.

Permabanned
I try really hard to have lie ins at weekends, but work has completely destroyed my body clock over the years and I nearly always wake up before 7. The summer really messes me up too, soon as it’s light my body thinks its time to get up and out.

07:30 is pretty unacceptable btw. It’s the same as hammering away at past ten in the evening. You don’t know what other peoples work arrangements are and I think its obvious when the acceptable times for that sort of thing are.

Caporegime
JUST LOL IF YOU GET UP AT 9AM AND ARE NOT SOME WHINING TEENAGER WHO MAY OR MAY NOT BE IN LOVE WITH HIS BESTIE BECAUSE HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN THAT THING SHE DOES WHEN SHE TOUCHES YOUR BACK, IN PUBLIC, AND I THINK EVEN JEREMY SAID HE THOUGHT IT WAS ODD WHICH MEANS IT DEFINITELY WAS SO MAYBE SHE DOES LIKE YOU IN THAT WAY EVEN THOUGH SHE AVOIDED THE QUESTION THAT TIME YOU RAISED IT OVER A HOTLY DEBATED MONOPOLY SESSION.

NOOBS.

Permabanned
basic is he's not allowed to start work until 8am .. and has to finish at 6pm ..
my neighbour is doing work atm .. well for the last 2 months .. he was banging after 6pm .. i knocked on the door and said stop it's past 6pm ...
he smiled and said he would be done in the next hr .. to which i added if i hear one more knock your teeth come out .. now he only works to time .. which he is allowed ..

Back
Top Bottom