Which Drive for Torrents out of these

Soldato
Which Drive would you choose out of these, please choose a 2TB and 3TB please Thanks

I know people will say reds but there nearly double the price.

2TB Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM008) £59.99

2TB WD Blue 5400rpm 256MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (20EZAZ) £59.99

2TB P300 7200RPM Performance Hard Drive (HDWD120UZSVA) £52.99

3TB P300 7200RPM Performance Hard Drive (HDWD130UZSVA) £64.99

3TB Barracuda 5400RPM 256MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (ST3000DM007) £79.99

3TB Blue 5400rpm 64MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (30EZRZ) £80.99

Caporegime
for torrents do you really need high read and write speeds.

if it's something that requires speed such as an open source game you install it to an SSD anyway.

it's basically just a storage drive and reliability is more important I would have thought?

I wouldn't go with 5400rpm though personally

Soldato
OP
for torrents do you really need high read and write speeds.

if it's something that requires speed such as an open source game you install it to an SSD anyway.

it's basically just a storage drive and reliability is more important I would have thought?

I wouldn't go with 5400rpm though personally

I Keep suffering from Disk overloaded so wanting a Drive thats faster. The 7200 rpm drives seem to have faster speeds around 185mbs compared to my drive that only reaches 125mbs.

Caporegime
I Keep suffering from Disk overloaded so wanting a Drive thats faster. The 7200 rpm drives seem to have faster speeds around 185mbs compared to my drive that only reaches 125mbs.
the 7200rpm drives likely have much better access times than the 5200rpm for obvious reasons which probably makes a large difference also since you're downloading loads of little chunks at the same time, or sharing them depending on what you are doing.
or if you are transferring something that has a lot of small files access time is very important.

make sure your torrent programme is set to pre-allocate disk space required for your download, which obviously stops each thing you download from being fragmented across your drive

Soldato
OP
the 7200rpm drives likely have much better access times than the 5200rpm for obvious reasons which probably makes a large difference also since you're downloading loads of little chunks at the same time, or sharing them depending on what you are doing.
or if you are transferring something that has a lot of small files access time is very important.

make sure your torrent programme is set to pre-allocate disk space required for your download, which obviously stops each thing you download from being fragmented across your drive

I always set pre-allocate but no difference, i think its just down to these slower Drives.

Trouble is Drives these days are no longer reliable as they use to be even warranty has dropped from 3 years down to 2 years so its just luck if i get a reliable drive or not. even shipping isnt great had them arrive in jiffy bags before now.

APM

APM

Associate
The disk overloaded could be due to settings in your torrent client,try enlarging cache size or some such.

Soldato
OP
The disk overloaded could be due to settings in your torrent client,try enlarging cache size or some such.

Cache size i use is 512 if i go higher it causes utorrent to crash

How fast is your internet connection?

Virmin 200 so plenty fast enough

Would you not be better using an SSD for active downloads then once complete writing them to your mechanical drives.

Did it that way in the past, trouble is the ssd didnt last long before it came to end of its life.

Don
Cache size i use is 512 if i go higher it causes utorrent to crash

Have you tried a different client (e.g. Deluge)

Virmin 200 so plenty fast enough

Assume that's 200Mbps, rather than MBps (otherwise obviously no hard drive would keep up)

Also fairly basic ones, but assume the Hard Drive is formatted as NTFS and directly connected via SATA rather than being a removable USB drive for example?

Soldato
OP
Have you tried a different client (e.g. Deluge)

Assume that's 200Mbps, rather than MBps (otherwise obviously no hard drive would keep up)

Also fairly basic ones, but assume the Hard Drive is formatted as NTFS and directly connected via SATA rather than being a removable USB drive for example?

I did try Qbittorent but just couldnt get on with it as speed was so eratic but im willing to try another client.

Drive formatted correctly and attached with sata cable direct to the motherboard.

Yes 200Mbps.

Thanks

APM

APM

Associate
uTorrent version 1.6.1 was the most reliable that I used and didn't carry the bloatware that I understand it has these days.

It can take lots of trial and error with different clients before you find the one best suited to your needs.

Caporegime
utorrent used to be a minimal torrent client they got full of adware and crap.

I switched to qbitorrent years ago
https://www.qbittorrent.org/
An advanced and multi-platform BitTorrent client with a nice Qt user interface as well as a Web UI for remote control and an integrated search engine. qBittorrent aims to meet the needs of most users while using as little CPU and memory as possible.
it's open source so won't ever suddenly end up with tons of adware
one of it's features is
  • No Ads

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom