• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING BIOS 1003
1.Improved system stability
2.Updated CastlePeakPI1.0.0.6

Was the AGESA version confirmed in CPU-Z ?

Associate
Thanks, appreciate the input! I'm squeezing the last drops out of a 5930k atm, which has been decent with single-threaded tasks, but struggles with simulations. Looking at a 60 or 70, and asrock creator for the 4 dual pcie slots (render a fair bit on gpu as well).

Nice, don't think you'll go wrong with either of those CPUs and that motherboard I don't know much about but looks beastly. I don't think you can go wrong with the TRX40 platform, it's got all the horses you need.

Man of Honour
It's a pain in the arse that you can't change the NVMe drives once a GPU is installed. It's not straightforward for me to remove mine as it's watercooled. It'll be worse when I move to hard tubing. Previous boards were fiddly but not impossible.

Man of Honour
The M.2_3 slot is in an interesting place and it's a pity it hangs off the chipset and not the CPU.
It's daft. I had my third one in there for about a day. I don't know if it's directly related but the chipset fan seemed higher when it was there. There's also no heatsink for the drive. So I bought a PCI card which can house two NVMe.

Soldato
It's probably the cheapest route to getting high frequency high core count parts into a rack mount server with remote management - low memory limit though so whatever its for, core speed must count for a lot (trading maybe?)

Beast of a workstation board as well

Soldato
Yet another BIOS/UEFI update for Asus RoG Strix TRX40 E-Gaming:

Asus said:
Version 1101 2020/06/12
6.94 MBytes
ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING BIOS 1101

01. Improved system performance and stability.
02. Updated CastlePeakPI1.0.0.4

It appears to have a few more CPU options and performance tweaks (Cinebench, AIDA64 etc). They're more accessible on the same screen as the CPU, RAM and power options now too (as well as the usual CBS and other advanced tweaks on the main system screen). If ASUS keep this up they're in danger of actually providing decent and current AMD updates for a change...!

What's the differences with their new boards? Apart from the addition of an 'X' in the name I didn't see much to differentiate them on first glance.

Soldato
In addition to the new bios updates from Asus comes new...motherboards!!

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-TRX40-XE-GAMING/
I was reading the specs quickly and for a moment I thought the motherboard came with a new Sonic The Hedgehog game!

Not sure marketing this to gamers is a good move sure the board looks good but people who want a Threadripper system will want it for it's multicore performance first and foremost not it's gaming potential.

Man of Honour
Used 3970X are creeping down to the price I paid for my 3960X. Not that I need more cores, my VMware lab is running really well but I guess the test will come when I try a full scale VCF deployment on it.

Back
Top Bottom