Energy Suppliers

Soldato
The price varies by postcode so if one supplier is cheap for one person it may not mean they are cheaper for you. Have a look at the MSE site and go with cheapest one in your area for your usage.

Well b0rn2sk8, you're certainly right about Quidco. Quidco have a £50 cashback on SSE 1 year duel fuel, but I tested it and found out the tariff standing charges and unit rates are much higher than with comparethemarket.

I'm on the MSE site and have put my postcode and details into their cheap energy club comparison page. MSE has come up with exactly the same as comparethemarket, citing SSE with the cheapest tariff and the same tariff rates as on comparethemarket. But if I switch with MSE there's £25 cashback too, so it makes sense to switch with them.

SSE tariff is:
Electric 13.31p kWh, standing charge 27.40p per day
Gas 2.46p per kWh, standing charge 27.34p per day

Whereas British Gas Fix Oct 2021 is
Electric 17.66p kWh, standing charge 22.85p per day
Gas 3.22p per kWh, standing charge 25.69p per day

And I'm not under contract with British Gas, I'm free to switch.

MSE didn't come up with any smaller suppliers outside of the big 6. I don't know how much cheaper smaller suppliers outside the big 6 might be. The SSE one looks pretty good do you think?

edit: Actually, I just checked Pure Planet who are ever so slightly cheaper. But then, I don't think there's any cashback.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would this Octopus quote be better than my SSE quote on previous page with £25 cashback? It's very slightly more unit rates, but considerably less standing charge.

Octopus.jpg

Soldato
Blimey, I've just done Uswitch through Quidco. Shell Energy July 2021 are coming out tops with excellent prices.

Electric 14.32 kWh/15.8p standing
Gas 2.3 kWh/12p standing

And £30 cashback. No brainer surely?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
14.32p/kwh with a 15.8p standing? Are you sure that this is the best rate for your area as that is extremely poor :confused:

Soldato
Looks a much better deal than mine! I signed up to 18 month deal in March 2019 though:

Electric: 15.45 kWh (day), 10.13 kWh (night) and 19.3p standing charge
Gas 3.35 kWh and 20.92p standing charge

Monthly payments are £63.28 and currently in quite a bit of credit (£95.44)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Is it?? I dunno. All the quotes I've had so far are higher than that. Who do you recommend then?
In Oxfordshire (i appreciate that this varies geographically) the leading tariffs are 10.4p/KWH for electricity, i dont believe that the unit rate should be 37% higher in London (No gas supply here).

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Uswitch lists Symbio energy as the best supplier in this area, at 10.4p/kwh

37% increase in London seems mad, and doesnt sound right. I'd absolutely baulk at paying anything like 14.3p/kwh for electricity.

Soldato
Uswitch lists Symbio energy as the best supplier in this area, at 10.4p/kwh

37% increase in London seems mad, and doesnt sound right. I'd absolutely baulk at paying anything like 14.3p/kwh for electricity.

Yes, symbio energy giving me 10.4/kWh. But 24p standing charge. And they don't supply gas. Try finding a dual fuel supplier and then see what prices you get.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Split them out if that would give you a better deal? That electricity rate really is quite bad! I dont know your usage but the standing charge is an irrelevance to me.

Of course this varies person to person. This is never a fair comparison, i was just pointing out that on the face of it, that is not a good electricity unit rate at all :)

Soldato
@Merlin5 I have just checked mine and Shell Energy July 2021 comes up cheapest for me. They were who I was with last time before I switched (but they were called something else and rebranded to shell as I was leaving).

Soldato
@Merlin5 I have just checked mine and Shell Energy July 2021 comes up cheapest for me. They were who I was with last time before I switched (but they were called something else and rebranded to shell as I was leaving).

There you go! :) Unless anything better comes up, then you might as well switch to them in September.

Split them out if that would give you a better deal? That electricity rate really is quite bad! I dont know your usage but the standing charge is an irrelevance to me.

Of course this varies person to person. This is never a fair comparison, i was just pointing out that on the face of it, that is not a good electricity unit rate at all :)

Definitely agree it's not as good as 10.4p! However, the standing charge is coming up much higher than with Shell. And I'm not finding any supplier doing cheaper gas by itself, so splitting them between two suppliers doesn't seem worthwhile. I honestly think the Shell dual fuel tariff + the cashback is about as good as I'm going to get. And tbh, I'm quite happy with that after paying quite a bit more with British Gas for a few years.

It always surprises the regional variation in prices. I'm with Orbit in central Scotland gas is 2p/kWh and electicity 10.3p/kWh

London I guess, everything's more expensive down here! I just did a quote with Orbit after you mentioned them and I'm getting nothing like those prices you've got.

Soldato
There's one more called Avro Energy. That's better than Shell. Excellent trustpilot reviews and these prices.

Standing charge 14.7p for gas and electric
12.8p kWh electric unit rate/2.28p kWh gas unit rate.

Associate
I've not long just renewed another 1 year deal with Octopus Energy. Prices were good for me, their website is quick and easy to use for meter reads, etc. and they have an excellent customer care reputation, their service is so good I was willing to pay slightly more than the cheapest to stay with them. So simple to take money back out of your account if it's building up too much and easy to change your DD if needed.

*** No referrals allowed ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
PSA - you not allowed to post referral links on this forum, the one posted earlier today has been removed. No doubt the one above will be removed in due course. What the person above neglected to mention is that they also get £50...

If you find a provider you want to switch to that has a referral program you can post to ask for one and someone can send you their via trust. But you can't publicly post your own in the thread.

Associate
Octopus are okay but I miss OVO Energy's dashboard with its graphs. I liked being able to benchmark my usage against others, and see how it changed. Moving into a new house, it'd be useful to have a prediction based on similar bills of what our energy usage over the next 8 months is likely to be.

Associate
Octopus are okay but I miss OVO Energy's dashboard with its graphs. I liked being able to benchmark my usage against others, and see how it changed. Moving into a new house, it'd be useful to have a prediction based on similar bills of what our energy usage over the next 8 months is likely to be.

just been playing with the graphs. Pretty cool. I’m sure octopus will get there, there is an open API for developers to use so could be interesting.

site is now saying will be online with them by 20th. How long after that can I move over to agile?

Back
Top Bottom