Anyone from Milton Keynes

Associate
Worked in MK on and off for about 10 years now, live about 30 mins away.

Only thing I wouldn't like about living in most of the estates is the mix of housing, you can have huge 5-6 bed mansions next to grotty run down little flats with old washing machines in the garden!

Permabanned
Laughable that you believe London has become a dump because of Sadiq Khan being mayor for 4 years.

Yeah, London mayors don't really change much meaningfully in my experience. They just become a target for anger when tube and bus fares or the congestion charge gets raised.

I wouldn't go so far as to say London is a dump/3rd world/whatever, but unless you really love the place I think it's very common that people fall out of love with the experience sooner or later. The only lifers in London I knew had been born and raised there, which is a very different experience to say, graduating from uni and following a job to the place. Out of my cohort of uni friends, I lasted the longest of the non-Londoners, most were out to Watford or beyond after three years.

img

img

Associate
Nothing wrong with it live near and did work there for years. Has lots of facilities, still go snowdon regular. Also robot delivery bots.

Broadband in older bits could be rubbish as they were not even copper cable so would check but newer ypu can get fttp

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Nothing wrong with it live near and did work there for years. Has lots of facilities, still go snowdon regular. Also robot delivery bots.

Broadband in older bits could be rubbish as they were not even copper cable so would check but newer ypu can get fttp

Cityfibre have been busy laying new cables for a lot of MK, I have FTTP in Bletchley. 1000Mbps goodness.

Soldato
Yes, Milton Keynes is cheaper that the others. I would like to buy a 2/3 new build house with a garden etc...
If you want a new build there's *lots* going up right now. There's Fairways on the A421 near Kingston, on the site of what was Windmill Hill Golf Club. Also Morton Park about a mile further down the road from that which is near The Stables. Then there's Whitehouse Park near Crownhill and also another development whose name I can't remember near Stony Stratford and Deanshanger.

Associate
Unfortunately Swindon has become a massive dump these days.

Hasn't Swindon always been a dump? It actually manages to make Gloucester seem acceptable, which is an achievement!

Agreed, the station is quite well served, (especially with the recent GWR changes), but it's only really convenient for the town centre, bit of a trek otherwise.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Basically name any city or large town in GD and people will call it a hole :p

That's because all of OcUK live in an idyllic village in a 4 bed detached cottage with a brand new Porsche (paid in full, none of that finance business) parked out side, with an annex for the au pair. Every where else is a dump :p

Soldato
Born in MK, lived near the place till I was 18. Worked there in my 20's, lived in Bedford the last 4 years.

Honestly, MK is weird, soulless and painful. If you have to live there have a look at Stony Stratford, Woburn, Newport Pagnall, Olney or just further out than the centre. Mk it's self the exact opposite to London, nothing on your doorstep, drive to everything, weird public transport and still not all that safe on your bike.

Of the suggestions above, St Albans is lovely, Birkhamsted is good, Leighton Buzzard is cheap and medium, Watford is pretend London and very weird (only place that calls people window lickers), I'd suggest Bedford (thameslink is great) but I like that not everyone knows its' good :)

Associate
Lived here 36 years and still finding places due to cycling in the lock down most days. Nice lakes within a quick walk has helped. Yes it can be a bit soulless in places but we have a stream in our front garden and can walk in green parks all around us.
Also I get miffed about 5 mins in traffic how many city's can you say that about ?
Furzton lake last week
View attachment ZCZqoV3.jpg

Soldato
That's because all of OcUK live in an idyllic village in a 4 bed detached cottage with a brand new Porsche (paid in full, none of that finance business) parked out side, with an annex for the au pair. Every where else is a dump :p

Nothing wrong with finance. I've noticed it's a drum you beat on all the time

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Nothing wrong with finance. I've noticed it's a drum you beat on all the time

It was a tongue in cheek comment, echoing the usual finance themes of the forum. I've mentioned finance once before FYI. Weird that you would pick that part of my light hearted comment.

Back
Top Bottom