Best/most recommended PWM case fans please?

Permabanned
Hi all,

I've recently switched back to air cooling so I only have fans that are most suited to cooling WC radiators, as such they aren't as efficient as i'd like, so i'm looking to move to the most recommended case fans instead, but I have a few questions as well

Do all PWM fans make the whirling noises as they change RPM? one of mine now sounds like a car skidding in a car park, it's not a graceful ramp up at all, but I don't know if that's just inherent to the nature of PWM fans?

Also i've never researched the topic but are less 140mm fans better at pushing/pulling air than more 120mm fans? I know they will be quieter due to the larger blades, but are they more recommended in general?

If that's the case then I would rather upgrade to 140mm fans either way

Thank you :)

Don
Less fans are always better, and as you've already said 140mm fans can run slower whilst moving the same amount of air as a 120mm fan.

With regards to some recommendations, I've personally used Arctic P14 (and 120mm P12) fans in a couple of builds and they are probably as quiet as you can get without spending double or triple the money.

I've never noticed any strange noises even when they ramp up or down - could be down to how your motherboards fan control is set up.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £15.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Permabanned
OP
Two people instantly recommending the same fan sounds good to me, thank you! :) on top of this, what do you use to connect all of your fans to the motherboard headers if you don't have enough headers? do people still use fan controllers or are there any recommended splitters available? Thank you :)

Soldato
Two people instantly recommending the same fan sounds good to me, thank you! :) on top of this, what do you use to connect all of your fans to the motherboard headers if you don't have enough headers? do people still use fan controllers or are there any recommended splitters available? Thank you :)

I'll happily buy them for any future builds I do... I use a couple of Fan splitters and run to each fan header on the board

Permabanned
OP
Thank you, I am going to buy them now, it's a fantastic price and the PST sounds great for using the fan headers rather than a controller for unified fan control as well, thank you for the help, it really is appreciated!

Don

With the PST version I linked above, it already has a built in splitter, so you can daisy chain several back to a motherboard connector.

Permabanned
OP
Quick question to add on before I purchase these, I noticed the P14 is all about static pressure, which I know can still be a great case fan, but would the F14 be more ideal, or are the P14's extra features still more beneficial purely for case fans? thank you :)

Soldato
if you want performance and cooling, then for me nothing beats "Corsair ML120 Pro LED Blue 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans", the sheer throughput of these is amazing even from 1300rpm, but they spin upto over 2500rpm and shift some serious air. I've got them running on my 2nd rig on the CPU cooler and not a complaint and look fantastic.

Don
Quick question to add on before I purchase these, I noticed the P14 is all about static pressure, which I know can still be a great case fan, but would the F14 be more ideal, or are the P14's extra features still more beneficial purely for case fans? thank you :)

I'd buy the P14 regardless - they make great case fans and have a 10year warranty vs 6 on the F14

Back
Top Bottom