BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Did they give you an indication on distance from your nearest aggregation node?

Yes, in the desktop quote they said it was 300-400M to the nearest aggregation node. However, for the site survey it turns out my local aggregation node is 700~M away.

The two OR engineers where quite open with the information on the site survey.

Permabanned
Yes, in the desktop quote they said it was 300-400M to the nearested aggregation node. However, for the site survey it turns out my local aggregation node is 700~M away so I know where that is now.

The two OR engineers where quiet open with the informaiton on the site survey.

Thank you, I wasn't given a desktop quote but based on your survey quote I am tentatively optimistic for my own one now!

Soldato
How are BT nowadays? I have not been with them since, maybe 2004?
I've been with BT at both my house and my parents house since Talktalk bought out Bulldog DSL and moved all the customers over to their own "network". Never had any real complaint, issues are few and far between and the only time I had a fault (wiring issue in the cabinet) they were able to get it fixed ASAP.

One of the main reasons to go with BT though is that in addition to the service you also get arguably the best ISP supplier routers. The current Smart Hub 2 is an absolute beast (the thing puts £200 "gaming" routers to shame), they include an additional WiFi AP so you can create a two point mesh and if you have the whole home pack as part of your contract (which comes standard on the unlimited tariffs iirc) they will keep sending more as you request them until you have full coverage throughout your house.

Soldato
When comparing ISP's you really need to include cash back and gift/promo/cash back via Quidco/TCB to work out the total cost of the contract, sometimes the cheapest headline price isn't the cheapest deal overall. I've often ended up going with BT and paying more each month because the overall deal was better.

Soldato
How are BT nowadays? I have not been with them since, maybe 2004?
I'm with SKY right now, but my price is jumping up to over £50 for broadband only in July.

My main issue is, I have a BT e-mail address that's costing me £7.50 a month to keep, as I don't have their broadband anymore.
Would be hard to abandon as it's 20 years old and tied into my entire existence.

So I could save a decent chunk jumping ship to BT and then not having to pay for premium mail. The 24 month contract scares me though.
I've had 100% up time since my line was installed and activated last September. I'm paying £50 a month for their gigabit service and I haven't had any issues. The speed is consistent and I'm much happier with this connection than my old Virgin Media one that was awful for gaming.

Soldato
I've had 100% up time since my line was installed and activated last September. I'm paying £50 a month for their gigabit service and I haven't had any issues. The speed is consistent and I'm much happier with this connection than my old Virgin Media one that was awful for gaming.

I'll definitely consider BT this time. Both then an VM seem to be working on FTTP in my area. No official news yet but I've had a chat with various contractors putting in fibre or cabinets and I'm hoping for more news by the end of the year.

Soldato
Guys, when doing the Cashback option, who did you use and what option? Superfast fiber ect, as on the BT site it just says 910mb...
What do you mean option, you just visit the BT site via a cashback site, i use quidco, about an hour after signing up my £100 cashback registered.

Do you only get the Smart Hub 2 on FTTP and G.Fast or is it standard across the board now?
I think its a slightly different version router for FTTP has a WAN port instead of one of the LAN ports.
As far as im aware you get the latest Smart Hub 2 with everything now.

Getting excited now, nearly Tuesday.

Associate
Postcode has gone live for FTTP today, slapped an order in for 900mbps within about 20 minutes. Provisional install date of 19th June, cannot wait.

Its been a long 3 and half years in this house, the first 2 with 2mbps ADSL and the last 18 months with Three 4g that got to 20mbps at best but is downright unreliable.

Soldato
I'll definitely consider BT this time. Both then an VM seem to be working on FTTP in my area. No official news yet but I've had a chat with various contractors putting in fibre or cabinets and I'm hoping for more news by the end of the year.

From memory (and it does vary by area - NW or parts of the Southend being good historic examples) it’s always been fibre to the cab for VM in all digital capable areas. In the NE it’s fibre up to the pit/bomb, so it’s only the last feed to the tap/premises that was copper. I suppose they could decide to lay a separate new fibre feed to every cab, but given the construction costs and the fact HFC is still a developed platform as the whole industry has an aversion to re-laying a whole network so has always gone with incremental upgrades wherever possible, it seems questionable that VM are laying new fibre to each cab. In the UK at least, the up front construction costs are what killed the industry for decades and led to the massive debt burden being carried for so long.

Soldato
I think its a slightly different version router for FTTP has a WAN port instead of one of the LAN ports.
As far as im aware you get the latest Smart Hub 2 with everything now.

Getting excited now, nearly Tuesday.

I'm fairly sure there's just 1 version of the SmartHub 2. From what I've seen the same device is shown as being suitable for ADSL, VDSL, G.Fast & FTTP. Mine arrived today, it has 3 LAN ports, 1 ethernet WAN port and a WAN port for VDSL/G.Fast. The back of mine is the same as shown here.

Soldato
From memory (and it does vary by area - NW or parts of the Southend being good historic examples) it’s always been fibre to the cab for VM in all digital capable areas. In the NE it’s fibre up to the pit/bomb, so it’s only the last feed to the tap/premises that was copper. I suppose they could decide to lay a separate new fibre feed to every cab, but given the construction costs and the fact HFC is still a developed platform as the whole industry has an aversion to re-laying a whole network so has always gone with incremental upgrades wherever possible, it seems questionable that VM are laying new fibre to each cab. In the UK at least, the up front construction costs are what killed the industry for decades and led to the massive debt burden being carried for so long.

Where I am VM have bought a test network from Sky. Lots of fibre on new poles and VM have added their big grey cabinets now. Whether they extend the size of the network they bought we will see. Typically it ends just at the edge of the estate I live on.

Soldato
Caporegime
BT apparently have the ability to flash an FTTC (inc. Gfast) Hub to an FTTP one with ethernet WAN, but the models designed for the purpose have the WAN port marked clearly on the back.

Soldato
Where I am VM have bought a test network from Sky. Lots of fibre on new poles and VM have added their big grey cabinets now. Whether they extend the size of the network they bought we will see. Typically it ends just at the edge of the estate I live on.

That’s bizarre, firstly it’s the kind of amazingly unlikely thing that would be of interest to me and would make major waves in the industry. You see the licence cable operators function under specifically excludes coming in from anything other than the front of the property (that one has seen exceptions over the years eg corner plots), but it has to be via duct/trench, absolutely no pole work. To get that changed wouldn’t be easy. Which area and are you sure this is actually VM? The cab colour is largely irrelevant, VM use green, grey, black and have even done random camouflage stuff via wraps.

Back
Top Bottom