• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is now a good time to be replacing a CPU and Mobo?

Associate
I have an aging platform (Intel 5960X) which is becoming increasingly tempermental to start, a few slots in the board have failed and its not a happy computer in general.

I waited for the new 10th Gen CPUs to be released and I was 50/50 on the results, im not a pure gamer as i use the computer for other things as well such as blender and paint programs and some VMs which i use for management or learning new skills.

I was considering a AMD 3950x but its an expensive CPU given the 4000 series is supposed to be releasing as some point (soon??).

So im at a cross roads, do i replace the PC components now, hoping that the 4950x is only marginally better, continue to wait and put up with my current PCs querks (not booting, memory issues, stuttering in games etc, and the very dodgy USB which seems to play up my VR headset and trackers)?

Any thoughts from the community?

My main games are mostly MMOs, VR, MHW, BDO + BnS and a FPS here and there.

Oh i dont play at 1080p i play generally on an ultrawide (3840 x 1600) so almost 4K (GPU is a 2080)

Thanks for your input :)

Soldato
Supposedly there's a Zen 2 refresh due in the next few weeks, I think it'll coincide with the B550 launch. Essentially the same as what already exists but with higher clocks, normally I'd say just wait until the 4000 chips, but if you're having hardware issues there's no sense in suffering for the next 6 months. If you can get by until the end of the month just grab a nice B550 and a 3700-3900XT.

Soldato
If your computer was working okay then the answer would obviously be to wait.

However, considering the issues you describe, it kind of boils down to how much patience you have as a person. Are you fairly laid back or are these start up issues going to cause you to grab a hammer and take out your anger on something?

Man of Honour
Supposedly there's a Zen 2 refresh due in the next few weeks, I think it'll coincide with the B550 launch. Essentially the same as what already exists but with higher clocks, normally I'd say just wait until the 4000 chips, but if you're having hardware issues there's no sense in suffering for the next 6 months. If you can get by until the end of the month just grab a nice B550 and a 3700-3900XT.
Waiting for the refresh seems like a good compromise compared to waiting for 4000, assuming they really are due soon that is.

Associate
The new B550 boards all with PCIe4 will launch in 10 days and the 3000XT series CPU's will likely be announced at the same time but availability seems to be set for the 7th July.
Maybe set your sights on a 3900XT model since you originally wanted a 3950X but as far as the 4000 series goes, that's still late 2020 with rumors pointing to a possible delay but nothing is confirmed.

Associate
OP
Thanks all for your feedback so far, I know i touched on the AMD 3950x and my views on the Intel 10th Gen option, If i did consider an Intel chip at this point, can they be trusted to release a GEN4 capable chip with their next release.

Either way is seems this will be the last chip (4000 series) for AM4 and the penultimate chip for LGA1200 reading the tech news

Soldato
If you buy now I would probably stear you towards the 3900XT which is what will be coming out in ta few weeks time.

The 4000 series was speculated to be out later this year lets say Oct/Nov time but with this refresh of the 3000 series I think that is up in the air now and some people think early 2021.

I doubt you'd regret a 3900XT if you bought it but it is up to you if you want to wait it out for the 4000 series instead.

All comes down to how desperate you are and how bad situation current PC is in.

Associate
Current rumors are that 4000 is beginning of next year, slight possibility of December. We won't know for sure until September if there is any chance of this year.

XT models suggest not happening. Most of these 'early next year' rumors usually result in May+ time the following year. I wouldn't wait. Just buy a compatible motherboard.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks, i will wait for the XT's over the next few weeks, if they appear i will grab the 3900XT, if not i will grab the 3950x and a X570 board and call it a day. In terms of waterblocks, i generally buy EK, not had an AMD for a long time, does EK still make the best AMD waterblocks for X570?

Soldato
I have an aging platform (Intel 5960X) which is becoming increasingly tempermental to start, a few slots in the board have failed and its not a happy computer in general.

I waited for the new 10th Gen CPUs to be released and I was 50/50 on the results, im not a pure gamer as i use the computer for other things as well such as blender and paint programs and some VMs which i use for management or learning new skills.

I was considering a AMD 3950x but its an expensive CPU given the 4000 series is supposed to be releasing as some point (soon??).

So im at a cross roads, do i replace the PC components now, hoping that the 4950x is only marginally better, continue to wait and put up with my current PCs querks (not booting, memory issues, stuttering in games etc, and the very dodgy USB which seems to play up my VR headset and trackers)?

Oh i dont play at 1080p i play generally on an ultrawide (3840 x 1600) so almost 4K (GPU is a 2080)

The 3950X is a bargain.

Soldato
I have an aging platform (Intel 5960X) which is becoming increasingly tempermental to start, a few slots in the board have failed and its not a happy computer
Welcome, how hard do you play your games. lol.

It really sounds like you need something new. Soon and can’t really wait. Not sure why you need 3950X over 3900X. The latter is much better value. 12c is plenty for now and many years down the line. But I would definitely go with x570 or B550 motherboard in your case to take advantage of PCIe 4 so at least you can have best GPU for you needs for next few years.

have a look at your CPU load and how hard they are pegged and the games you play. Go to YouTube have a look to see if anyone has done an in-depth test on 3900x vs 3950x and go from there.

If you want the 4900X when zen 3 come out you can always buy it and sell your 3900/3950 as the CPU will simply slot in. You won’t lose much at all.

Associate

Sorry don't know how I managed that reply below

Last edited:
Associate
I've also got a 5960x thankfully still going strong at 4.5ghz. I've pondered replacing it but from all the benchmarks I've seen (gaming not productivity) it's still right up there. I really wanted to go 3900X but would barely see any improvement if at all in games (I've been regularly researching it for the last year) I'm at 4K and 1080ti sli and still GPU bound in every game I play so other than for productivity it's really not worth it unless yours is at stock. If yours is having issues affecting your work then it may be time to retire it, I was holding out for 4000 series but tbh I'll probably let mine soldier on for that generation too as I'd want a really noticeable performance improvement. Maybe learn to love its quirks ;).

C64

C64

Soldato
3300x + b550 board seems the way to go can always sell / swap out the 3300x in 3 years when you need more cores and 6/12 8/16 cores are much cheaper

a 3300x is matching a 3600 cant see it not being enough for a few years yet

Soldato
3300x + b550 board seems the way to go can always sell / swap out the 3300x in 3 years when you need more cores and 6/12 8/16 cores are much cheaper

a 3300x is matching a 3600 cant see it not being enough for a few years yet

Speaking of OCUK pricing:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £329.98 (includes shipping: £0.00)

I wouldn't touch the 3300X at £150 personally, for a £30 difference the 3600 is a a much better buy.

Back
Top Bottom