Black screen

Associate
Hi all. So I’m not the best with PC’s but I know how to do the odd thing here and there. So I have an i7 6700k a gtx 1660ti oc and 8gb of ddr4 ram at 2300mhz. I wanted to ugrade my ram to 16gb so I purchased Hyper X’s 16gb kit at 3200mhz. I have an ASUS h110m - R motherboard and I Have a coller master cpu cooler and the black fan blocks the ram slots so I removed the black fan took it off and installed the new RAM. I turned on my ram and went to my BIOS and bang it was there 16gb of ram but it was running at 2300mhz so I thought this was strange but I went to YouTube and saw that this was normal and the frequency could be turned up. So I went to my bios and i changed the frequency to 3200 and once I did this I saved it and went to my task manager and it said I was still at 2300mhz so I went back to my bios and there was another box to with the frequency so I changed that to 3200 MHz and saved it then my screen was black and it kept saying ‘no signal found’. I started to panic and saw that you could reset the bios by using a jumper switch or something but I saw you could use paper clips and it didn’t work so it hen removed the battery on the motherboard and that didn’t work. My jumperswitch header is behind my gpu so I did have to remove it each time to attempt it and I left my pc off whilst I did it but still no result. I really need help and it would be much appreciated if anyone takes the time to read this.

Soldato
Hi all. So I’m not the best with PC’s but I know how to do the odd thing here and there. So I have an i7 6700k a gtx 1660ti oc and 8gb of ddr4 ram at 2300mhz. I wanted to ugrade my ram to 16gb so I purchased Hyper X’s 16gb kit at 3200mhz. I have an ASUS h110m - R motherboard and I Have a coller master cpu cooler and the black fan blocks the ram slots so I removed the black fan took it off and installed the new RAM. I turned on my ram and went to my BIOS and bang it was there 16gb of ram but it was running at 2300mhz so I thought this was strange but I went to YouTube and saw that this was normal and the frequency could be turned up. So I went to my bios and i changed the frequency to 3200 and once I did this I saved it and went to my task manager and it said I was still at 2300mhz so I went back to my bios and there was another box to with the frequency so I changed that to 3200 MHz and saved it then my screen was black and it kept saying ‘no signal found’. I started to panic and saw that you could reset the bios by using a jumper switch or something but I saw you could use paper clips and it didn’t work so it hen removed the battery on the motherboard and that didn’t work. My jumperswitch header is behind my gpu so I did have to remove it each time to attempt it and I left my pc off whilst I did it but still no result. I really need help and it would be much appreciated if anyone takes the time to read this.

if you have your old kit of ram., try re-installing that, it may trick the bios into thinking new ram is installed and you may get into the bios, if you do have a look at updating your bios, this should then allow better ram compatibility or speed, after the biso is updated install the new 3200mhz kit and enable xmp as see what happens after exiting, ideally the pc should boot and you'll be good to go :)

Soldato
Hi there, thank you for the reply, I have now re installed the old ram and wiggled some wires around, When i put the 16gb kit back in how do I safely set it to 3200 mhz

if you want to set 3200mhz your gonna need to update your bios otherwise installing the newer ram and setting 3200mhz will lead to boot error with a black screen, given the board is quite old, it wont have this baked into the bios so if you can boot into windows and download a program called ai suite 3, within this program there should be something called EZ update, click it and find all drivers including a newer bios, follow the on screen instructions to complete this process, the pc may restart a few times so give it 5-10 min's afterwards install the new ram and power back up, head into the bios once more, check it's updated and if so head to the memory part and set xmp, hopefully your new kit of ram will run at 3200mhz

Man of Honour
Hi there, thank you for the reply, I have now re installed the old ram and wiggled some wires around, When i put the 16gb kit back in how do I safely set it to 3200 mhz
The manual for the Asus H110M-R says the maximum memory speed is 2133 Mhz (possibly 2400 if it supports Kaby Lake). I don't know what you're seeing 2300 from, because this is not usually an option. The standard memory speeds are: 2133, 2400, 2666, 2933, 3000, 3200. If you ARE able to set 3200 for some reason, then I'd make sure that the DRAM voltage is 1.35v because I doubt it will even boot at 1.2v. Don't run your original memory at 1.35v though!

Soldato
The manual for the Asus H110M-R says the maximum memory speed is 2133 Mhz (possibly 2400 if it supports Kaby Lake). I don't know what you're seeing 2300 from, because this is not usually an option. The standard memory speeds are: 2133, 2400, 2666, 2933, 3000, 3200. If you ARE able to set 3200 for some reason, then I'd make sure that the DRAM voltage is 1.35v because I doubt it will even boot at 1.2v. Don't run your original memory at 1.35v though!

the Asus H110M-R the op has can support upto 3200mhz so I'm not sure why you say it only supports a max of 2133mhz, if the board has the original bios still, then faster ram may not work or cpu support may be limited

Associate
OP
So whats the maximum speed I can run at. Ive Looked at tutorials online and they say in the asus bios you have to select AI tweaking and then select DOCP but i dont have docp?

Associate
OP

And i meant 2133 sorry

Associate
I go to xmp and then I select 3200mhz and save it and then it doesn't change, then I go back to my bios and there is another drop down box called 'Dram frequency' and i change that and then that's when I don.t get past the boot.

just enable the xmp profile, quit the bios and save changes - don't also change the frequency yourself. When you reboot it should have changed the frequency. If it still doesn't boot then I'm not sure, will probably need to tweak it manually

Back
Top Bottom