Noticeable FPS gains from OC'ing?

Soldato
In April I replaced my old i5 system with an AMD build.

Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

However, in my haste, I purchased the "wrong" memory - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3000MHZ CL15 aka CMW16GX4M2C3000C15

It appears I should have gone for 3600MHZ as this 'plays nicely' with Ryzen or so I understand.

I've had an initial look at dram calc and taiphoonburner and I'm happy that if I was to proceed I know what to do.

However before I carry on will this give me any noticeable FPS gain, currently playing a lot of Warzone, or is it only likely to result in 1 or 2 additional FPS?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you search, many of the tech channels ran comparisons of Ryzen 3000 running with different memory speeds. From memory, the differences were noticeable but not massive (<10%).

3600MHz is prefered because it allows the Infinity Fabric to be run a 1800MHz (about the max, it's more-or-less guaranteed to run at).

Soldato
In April I replaced my old i5 system with an AMD build.

Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

However, in my haste, I purchased the "wrong" memory - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3000MHZ CL15 aka CMW16GX4M2C3000C15

It appears I should have gone for 3600MHZ as this 'plays nicely' with Ryzen or so I understand.

I've had an initial look at dram calc and taiphoonburner and I'm happy that if I was to proceed I know what to do.

However before I carry on will this give me any noticeable FPS gain, currently playing a lot of Warzone, or is it only likely to result in 1 or 2 additional FPS?

It's worth doing.

Firstly raising the FCLK on the CPU yields good improvements and as a secondary this then raises the speeds the ram runs at and you will also get tighter timings so all in all yes it does make a difference.

At 1080p it makes a huge difference. At 1400p it doesn't make a big difference to your max frames but it does to your 1% and 0.1% lows which makes things feel smoother.

With Ryzen sorting out the FCLK and ram is probably the biggest uplift your gonna get over any other type of overclocking you can do on the CPU.

If you have a look on YouTube for 3600CL16 vs 3600CL14 you will find a lot of comparisons.

Last edited:
Associate
Benchmarks are out there.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock

The speed is only half of the equation - timings are also important.

Is there a difference? Yes, absolutely. Is it noticeable? Depends. In the above benchmarks they are using a 2080Ti, and are benchmarking at 1080p, which is arguably an unrealistic scenario as anyone buying a 2080Ti is probably playing at 1440p or 4k. The purpose of this is to shift the load balance over to CPU instead of GPU, which will accenuate any difference the RAM speed and timings make.

Soldato
Remember that 3600CL16 is mostly equivalent to 3200CL14 so you need to work on the timings.
yeah its on my to do list lol
but thaiphoon burner refuses to run :(
must be something on my pc it doesnt like
yeah i could do it the old fashioned way like before
thaiphoon burner and dram calculator existed but its
too time consuming doing it
since i am on 1440p with a 2080ti not sure it would give
a great improvement anyway

Soldato
Do you have RGB RAM? If so, kill the control software and any related services / applications. For example with my Thermaltake RAM, Thaiphoon Burner could not read any info from them while the ToughRAM software was running.
great suggestion mate
thats exactly what i have toughram
never occurred to me the rgb software would stop thaiphoon burner
from even opening
will give that a try thanks

Soldato
ok stopped everything that was running
turned out my anti virus was stopping thaiphoon
even though it didnt tell me doh
dont want to sidetrack the post too much so if some one could quickly tell me
what do i save or export the file from thaiphoon as
would be appreciated

edit never mind figured it out :):)

Last edited:
Soldato
ok stopped everything that was running
turned out my anti virus was stopping thaiphoon
even though it didnt tell me doh
dont want to sidetrack the post too much so if some one could quickly tell me
what do i save or export the file from thaiphoon as
would be appreciated

edit never mind figured it out :):)

report - scroll down press the "show in nano seconds" and then export as complete html

Back
Top Bottom