Gfast constant drops

Soldato
Partly. My userbase is people who normally work from home and the company pays for their home connection and equipment so yes, I've got users with multiple children who are screaming for better access to TV on demand and other entertainment websites. Apparently if you have a wife and 3 children you can be watching 5 TV's simultaneously and using 5 handheld devices at the same time as I'm trying to sync the sales and stock and run the backups...

Soldato
I used to love having to explain that 10x4Mbit streams gives essentially the same user experience on an 80mbit FTTC profile as symmetrical gigabit only to be told ‘but it’s faster’.

Associate
Ask the Openreach engineer for a modem if they don't give you one and use your own router. Despite what's been posted in this thread, G.fast is a current product that Openreach will continue to install and maintain for quite a while yet and it's a way of squeezing anything up to 300Mbps down a normal copper phone line. Which is quite impressive. And the relatively high cost charged to end-users means you tend to get the speeds they advertise, unlike FTTP or Virgin in my experience.

Thanks. I will ask for a new modem and have a bunch of Ubiquiti kit (APs, POE switches, USG, etc) arriving shortly so hopefully, everything should be pretty rock solid

Soldato
Thanks. I will ask for a new modem and have a bunch of Ubiquiti kit (APs, POE switches, USG, etc) arriving shortly so hopefully, everything should be pretty rock solid

Have you set up a UniFi network before? If not, please watch the Crosstalk Solution video;

https://youtu.be/f_-iuY_xxFY

And when it wants you to input the PPPoE username and password, just enter it and leave it alone until it connects. This could take some time (anything up to a few hours) but it will connect and once it does, it will be rock solid. I usually do it last thing before I leave the job at night and in the morning it’s connected. It’s just a USG/PPPoE thing.

Associate
Have you set up a UniFi network before? If not, please watch the Crosstalk Solution video;

https://youtu.be/f_-iuY_xxFY

And when it wants you to input the PPPoE username and password, just enter it and leave it alone until it connects. This could take some time (anything up to a few hours) but it will connect and once it does, it will be rock solid. I usually do it last thing before I leave the job at night and in the morning it’s connected. It’s just a USG/PPPoE thing.

Yes I did it today. All worked pretty much straight away. Took about 30 seconds to get a PPPoE connection but I'd already updated all the firmware via ssh which may have helped

Soldato
No, there hasn't actually been a feature/bug fix on the USG for almost 12 months. They're only doing security fixes now.

I'm delighted that it picked it up that quick and hopefully it's all working as promised. Enjoy!

Associate
No, there hasn't actually been a feature/bug fix on the USG for almost 12 months. They're only doing security fixes now.

I'm delighted that it picked it up that quick and hopefully it's all working as promised. Enjoy!

While it seems like a good product I think I'll be looking at a "dream machine" (the rack sized one) in the not-too-distant future. Also a 24 port POE switch instead of the 8. An alternative is a server running pfsense

Soldato
Right now, pfSense would be my choice. The UDM and UDM Pro are seriously flawed products in terms of their software right now. Give it a year and they'll probably be what they should be right now. The main thing to remember about Unifi is that the controller does all the 'features' so any features that are lacking in the USG are also lacking in the UDMs. Even the much vaunted capability to run IPS/IDS at high line speeds is a bit pointless. I suspect that switching from a USG to a UDM or UDM Pro will leave you feeling very disappointed.

Caporegime
A couple of days, the 10 day training period I think is a hangover from ADSL and might be what some ISPs insist on, but it's not really true.

Associate
Had the same issue, was eventually fixed by replacing one section of the line as it had 1000's of errors.
Has been reliable since :eek:

Associate
The engineer who installed my g-fast on the 4th said it only takes 2-3 days to reach maximum speed. Although a few mistakes was made when he intitally did the installed, connected it to the wrong port ? and something else he had to go to the box twice ? he did apologise.I am now on my third day, only around 80mb sometimes 90mb down upload is around 11 at best. i went to see what my minim guarantee was you do the normal broadband health checks(if your a sky subscriber) it came back saying connected tot he hub blah blah but it flagged up there was a problem with the speed(Your speed is not as it should be). and to book an engineer. i then rang up tech support just to check because its still in the so called 10 day training period. he then ran various tests and said there is a problem on the line and then booked an engineer visit. i then reiterated is this because of the training period he said no it should not be like this.

The thing is just before we had the g-fast installed our connection did drop down from a rock solid 80mb down to sometimes 54mb. i put this down to the covid 19 lock down.

Soldato
I'd get an engineer to come over to see what the issue, takes a lot of chasing up usually to make them actually look at the problem carefully!
G.fast has been great for me, had it for over a year now, no drops whatsoever. Loaded latency also great, this technology won't last long with FTTP coming around hopefully soon for many.
Dropping some stats for anyone who's curious what sort of latency you can expect, I have a very good copper link to cabinet, using a HH6 (unfortunately).

Speedtest & Line stats
Smokeping Latency to Google
Traceroutes

Associate
Also on a side note why does the router download/upload speed differ to what is showing when i do a speed test btw.
For example in my router it currently says 104063 kbps when i do a speed test via speedtest.net it shows

PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

In the router it shows

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 104063 kbps 12867 kbps
Line Attenuation D1(52.4 dB) , D2(0.0 dB) , D3(0.0 dB) U0(0.0 dB) , U1(0.0 dB) , U2(0.0 dB)
Noise Margin 2.6 dB 3.1 dB

Caporegime
Those noise margins are as low as they are going to go, so either you have a fault or that's just what your line is capable of. I wouldn't want to have to deal with only 10Mbps upload personally.

Back
Top Bottom