New sport/hobby required

Associate
Hi all,

so - might be a tricky with all the social distancing going on but i need some suggestions.

life has changed somewhat of late, new child, new job and health issues all in a neat little parcel.

The new job means I work from home, and really don’t see anyone.

with the laddo about it means life is of course worked around kids stuff and the ever important nap time!

with the health, I’ve got a bad hip, it needs an operation but of course with all this Corvus stuff going on I’m not exactly a priority.

My normal cycling is out the window (can’t get off the bike safely) I’m fine on the indoor trainer but it doesn’t really add to the social life which is what I need after working alone.

so, I’m here, throw some suggestions at me

I need:
Something with a social side
Something if sport related, upper body focussed
I’ve done martial arts for years - can’t do it any more, the hip can’t handle it
Ideally not requiring dozens of hours a week - club cycling runs take about 6 hours of a Sunday, which doesn’t really work For me anymore

something I could do in the evenings would be good.
Weekends are fine as long as it’s like an hour or so as I can do it during nap time
Something the lad can join in on in future would be cool

I play piano and fit that around other stuff but again, not really social!

any suggestions? i'm thinking kayaking at the moment, live close to coast and rivers

Last edited:
Associate
Get an allotment? Your exercise can be walking there, and you also get to do some weights and stuff digging, planting, and talking to other people at the same time.

Soldato
I was going to suggest kayaking or something similar.

Go Karting is good fun, but expensive, but can be social if you have a close track. All probably closed during covid though

Associate
so, I’m here, throw some suggestions at me

I need:
Something with a social side
Something if sport related, upper body focussed
I’ve done martial arts for years - can’t do it any more, the hip can’t handle it
Ideally not requiring dozens of hours a week - club cycling runs take about 6 hours of a Sunday, which doesn’t really work For me anymore

something I could do in the evenings would be good.
Weekends are fine as long as it’s like an hour or so as I can do it during nap time
Something the lad can join in on in future would be cool
Online trolling is the ideal sport for you.

It's social - you join a group of likeminded trolls
It exercises your fingers
Martial arts training will be excellent for focusing on the result and not arguments presented to you
Can be done in 5 minutes a day, or multi-hour sessions

Evenings and weekends are good times to practice
And the lad will make the ideal sidekick and save you the confusion of running multiple personas

Associate
In regards to cycling, would a dropper post help?
With a small seat tube frame both your feet will touch the floor with ease, and then flick the post up when you get moving. They are operated with a click of a lever like a gear shifter. Come in at about £100, but are helpful for many reasons.

Warhammer is a good social laugh, just got to find like minded people.

Soldato
Get an indoor trainer and use Zwift. Keep your fitness up and once your son is older you’ll be able to get back to it (post surgery). Having a new baby can feel like your world has turned upside down. It has, but the world hasn’t ended. Similarly, Covid lockdown is probably not the time to take up a new hobby as most social activities are on hold and face significant upheaval.

Good luck with whatever you choose, try to stay positive. Head to the OcUK dads thread if you need to vent (or some advice). I should have posted a lot more in there when my daughter was very small.

Caporegime
every city should have a social cycling group they are usually like this
start at a pub/cafe
Ride for one hour at avg of 12mph
end up at a pub/cafe
Ride back to the start pub/cafe

often they won't have a set route and will ride in to the wind and hope for a tail wind on the way back

if you can do an indoor trainer surely you can manage social cycling? they will ride at the pace of the slowest member of the group and in my experience it's not really about the cycling.

Caporegime
Kayaking is great. I'd probably advise trying a sit on kayak as it will be less difficult getting in and out.

But if its just for an hour, not sure if it's suitable

Soldato

Not a bad suggestion, although generally an all day sunday thing you can just turn up for a few hours or some sites do evening games.

Its as physical as you want it to be, you can sprint around all day or park yourself in a hedge and have a nap.

Only problem is the bit where it'll suck up every last penny you have spare....

Soldato
Check out Stand Up Paddleboarding, or maybe even Kayaking.

Loads of groups out there and you're not going to be close to people and get to work the upper body and improve general core strength.

Plus you can travel places to get outside a bit more and can involve the kids.

EDIT - Just realised you mentioned Kayaking in the first post! You could get a cheap Inflatable one and even put the kid in it straight away to make it a family thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom