Social Media getting a bit...overbearing.

Soldato
People saying everything 'problematic' is the new easy way to spot the regressive left

Indeed and it's straight up group-think, you see the same terminology regurgitated again and again.

TBH though, does feel a bit like we're about to see some serious "struggle sessions" coming soon.

Soldato
Personally I think social media is best avoided in terms of regular use - but it's occasionally useful for things E.G a quick look on twitter when your trains late, or looking at family pics on Facebook.

Forums are different to other social media (though maybe reddit has some forum like qualities) - way more anonymous IMO

Soldato
The sooner you ditch social media the better your mental well being will be. Closest thing I use which I think of as in social media terms is Instagram. I quite like instagram as I do follow a lot of interesting nature photographers so I get to see some nice things. Also follow friends, who I actually know and a few 'celebrities' that I like (musicians, comedians or sports basically).

I can see how if someone lives and breathes all forms of social media, Twitter and Facebook especially, you'd probably get warped views of reality.

God, some people just live to argue don't they.

You've only just clocked on? :eek::p

Caporegime
Hmm no, I think someone offering themselves out for fights on facebook because they don't understand what they said may be problematic is a bit more embarrassing.
I wasn't offering anyone out but you know damm well most people on the internet say crap they wouldnt have the courage to say in real.

little man childs

and no im not going to read up on why "all lives matter" triggers a minority of protesters

ALL = everyone
lives
matter

I don't care if you're pink, red , green white , black, tortoise, you know what offends them the most about it?
the fact it sticks them in the same category as everyone else instead of being given preferential treatment

Man of Honour
This is actually the biggest issue with social media.

Everything you put on social media could be there forever. Get drunk and say something stupid or post the wrong pic and that might haunt you for the rest of your life.

Two things I've put on here have haunted me and that's why you have to be careful on Social Media.
Both were many years ago but still seen by people about two years ago.
One was a dig at a work colleague and the other was a dig at a music colleague and both times I was left embarrassed as hell.

Caporegime
Very simply start your All Lives Matters in a few weeks time, let us have our Black Lives Matters now and get that one seen to.
I'm not saying they matter less I'm saying they should be counting as equals.

would "all lives are equal" on a placard be considered a compromise that does not offend anyone yet means the same thing.

or did someone attempt to hijack the meaning of this too?
I don't want to start in a few weeks, I want to show some solidarity without being guilt tripped into what I should be voicing as my opinion

Man of Honour
Very simply start your All Lives Matters in a few weeks time, let us have our Black Lives Matters now and get that one seen to.

It's harder to promote the idea that a person's life matters whatever their "race" after it's already been firmly established that everyone who isn't the right "race" is worthless.

Also, of course, people who are so racist that they believe that everyone who isn't the right "race" is worthless are never going to allow a campaign for racial equality. Not now. Not in a few weeks time. Not ever.

Soldato
The exchange between Priti Patel and Florence Eshalomi in the Commons today was interesting.

I found it odd that Florence would accuse Priti of not knowing what racism was.

They disagree on politics, but surely racial discrimination transcends this? Clearly not.

Caporegime
The exchange between Priti Patel and Florence Eshalomi in the Commons today was interesting.

I found it odd that Florence would accuse Priti of not knowing what racism was.

They disagree on politics, but surely racial discrimination transcends this? Clearly not.

Patel's views are hardly vague since she's often joyfully shared them publicly in recent years.

Caporegime
Do her views mean she is incapable of suffering from racism? I see.

No, I imagine she suffers plenty of it. I doubt that was the inference the other MP was trying to make, but then I don't know what she thought, so obviously I can't say what she meant by it. The way I looked at it is that the Minister puts having power above caring about what racists think, whether that's a good thing or not is up to the observer.

Soldato
No, I imagine she suffers plenty of it. I doubt that was the inference the other MP was trying to make, but then I don't know what she thought, so obviously I can't say what she meant by it. The way I looked at it is that the Minister puts having power above caring about what racists think, whether that's a good thing or not is up to the observer.

She said:
Florence Eshalomi said:
Does the Home Secretary actually understand the anger and frustration felt by so many people? Does the Home Secretary recognise that there is structural inequality, discrimination and racism in our country?"

I infer Florence is suggesting Priti does not understand racism in the way that she does. Which is an odd suggestion to a fellow BAME colleague....

I can see you have inferred it a different way and otherwise sat on the fence which is fair enough given it's a conflict of self righteousness. It strikes me as another attempted example of "All tories are racist" but this falls flat because of Priti's heritage.

"If you support free market economics and capitalism you must also be racist" is an ever more popular opinion, but perhaps I'm applying my own bias and looking for it in this situation. I'd like to always assume people hold mixed views on lots of different subject areas and many of them are independent, it makes things more interesting than the Option 1 vs Option 2 dogma we have at present.

Last edited:
Caporegime
She said:

I infer Florence is suggesting Priti does not understand racism in the way that she does. Which is an odd suggestion to a fellow BAME colleague....

I can see you have inferred it a different way and otherwise sat on the fence which is fair enough given it's a conflict of self righteousness. It strikes me as another attempted example of "All tories are racist" but this it falls flat because of Priti's heritage.

"If you support free market economics and capitalism you must also be racist" is an ever more popular opinion, but perhaps I'm applying my own bias and looking for it in this situation. I'd like to always assume people hold mixed views on lots of different subject areas and many of them are independent, it makes things more interesting than the Option 1 vs Option 2 dogma we have at present.

With the state of the west recently, i'd say that political dogma is becoming incredibly stale, especially when the practical effect that people feel is different to what they were promised. It's not surprising that we've fallen into increasingly incomprehensible politics, people are giving up and it's just easier to be tribal.

Respectable governance has been thrown out because the economic system is failing people and nobody has a clue what to do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom