What can I do with my Shuttle case?

Associate
Hi people,

I have a shuttle SN45G Dusk & Dawn case which I am very reluctant to dispose as I think its pretty :)
Does the case conform to a form factor which I can make use of with a Mini ITX board or something similar ? Thanks.

Soldato
Hi,
I have a very old ST20G5 case (which internally looks very similar) that I've never thrown away for the same reason. I've done some research and whilst dimension wise it would fit a mITX board, mine certainly doesn't seem to have mounting screws in the right places, so it would require a little creativity. I'm really tempted to give it a go (and it's brought me back onto these boards after a very long absence) but I'm just not sure I can cram everything I want and a half-decent graphics card in there too. I'm almost certain that to get any half decent CPU cooling it would probably need a little 92mm water loop too.

PK!

Soldato
Here's an update on my thoughts regarding my old Shuttle carcass (just in case anyone actually cares). Having got my hands on a cheap mITX board I've offered it up against the case and found that it is literally millimetres too short to fit in and use both the expansion ports. So that leaves me with the following pro's and cons:

Pros
  • Nice looking small case with sentimental value
Cons
  • Limited to single width graphics card
  • I'd need to cut the back panel to make the i/o ports fit
  • I'd need to remove the old fixed standoffs somehow and tap holes for new ones
  • I would have to use a small and loud PSU in the slot its designed to go in, or an awkwardly placed larger one at the front of the case which would make mounting drives tricky
  • limited to 92mm rad (or just fan) without yet more modding
Given all of that and the range of cheap mITX cases out there I've decided it's just not worth it, which is a real shame as I enjoy re-purposing old things.

Soldato
Does it still have the internals? Could build it back up, maybe change out the PSU fan, and have a pointless retro machine?
I love the old Shuttle PCs. For the longest time had my eye on a s754 one back in the day, but didn't need the space saving.

Associate
I've a Shuttle SB51G running XP Pro, for simple video work. Strictly at almost-dopey level! It works, but slow. I can live with that 'cos 'tis like me- cute :rolleyes:. No intention to upgrade. Don't even know what's inside. It works.

Associate
OP
Finally got around to doing something about this.
I managed to source a new old stock PSU for 25 quid on ebay (Bronze 80 350w) original shuttle part.
Ive got her booting but there was clearly something not right with the win 95 install and it was rebooting constantly.
Trying to install win 7 but its gonna take a while and then maybe update it to win10 if it lets me.
Also watching some ram on ebay as its only got 1gb at the moment. Then the plan is to find a HD3850 if i can.

Associate
Does it still have the internals? Could build it back up, maybe change out the PSU fan, and have a pointless retro machine?
I love the old Shuttle PCs. For the longest time had my eye on a s754 one back in the day, but didn't need the space saving.

owned three shuttles and loved everyone of them

little tiny lovely boxes of fun and so easy to cart around to a lan

Associate
Seems like we all like the looks but maybe not so enthusiastic regarding the function?
Still haven't opened mine and prob won't until it passes the way of all things.
I tell my niece it's a broken coffee machine from the days of "425 Lines".

Back
Top Bottom