BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
They don't 'decline' based on reg.

It'll decline if you tick the box that says it's imported or used as a taxi or us a write-off and you'll get a limited product range if the mileage is more than 100k.
Sorry to disappoint you, but, that isn't my experience - unless of course, the two cars that I recall being rejected were both imports or taxis - both were under 50k, one for sale at a VW dealership the other at an independent.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Never seen it decline unless you tick the box to sell it to decline, or it is under cover already.

Out of interest I even plugged in a 316k 7 and it quoted for driveline just fine (at £2500)

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Tell him to find another one that's under the 60K mileage limit and then just pay monthly thereafter which avoids any more hikes - what's the point of a warranty on a used car for a year? it isn't suddenly going to be immune from failures once the year is up.

Tell him to check the reg with the BMW warranty website, he'll then find if they will cover it or not, I've run a few registrations through it and been declined in the past a recent 320d I helped a friend source, we had two nice specced contenders from car supermarkets but BMW refused a warranty quote on both despite being apparently ideal criteria - full BMWSH, under 60K etc - maybe a glitch, but I just moved on to a car that they would cover which they did ironically from a private sale, from a making claim perspective, I'd imagine a full BMWSH makes things easier also.

o5ECfhL.gif

Soldato
Sorry to disappoint you, but, that isn't my experience - unless of course, the two cars that I recall being rejected were both imports or taxis - both were under 50k, one for sale at a VW dealership the other at an independent.

I'lI remember years ago that if put in too many registration numbers into the warranty website (about 3 or 4 iirc one after another) it'd refuse to give you anymore "quotes" for a time. I used to have to restart my router to get a new IP address lol

This might be what was happening

Caporegime
I'lI remember years ago that if put in too many registration numbers into the warranty website (about 3 or 4 iirc one after another) it'd refuse to give you anymore "quotes" for a time. I used to have to restart my router to get a new IP address lol

This might be what was happening
That may well be it, I did put a fair few through it, but hey, don't worry, my posts are pure ******** apparently.

Associate
Does anyone use a m2 comp as a daily driver? Am thinking of getting one towards the end of the year but would be making 2/3 120 mile round trips a week..

Soldato
Does anyone use a m2 comp as a daily driver? Am thinking of getting one towards the end of the year but would be making 2/3 120 mile round trips a week..

Not the comp but I have the regular M2 and its my daily. It is bad on fuel particularly if new and gets slightly better after about 10k miles.

I've done about 23k miles in a 1.5 years in mine. The best I've seen on a motorway 70mph cruise is about 35 I reckon but long journeys generally 29-32 mpg or so, perhaps better when its decent weather and in comfort mode. As a comparison I'm getting around 20 mpg or less doing short journeys, driving on country roads for a blast. Other wise about 27mpg on regular mixed driving.

From what I've heard the comp is the same if not worse on fuel.

Soldato
Thought I would share these photos I saw on a BMW M group.

Quite rare and the colour suits the car so well. Not so keen on the wheels but the rest looks great to me. :)

49999307891_47a4ed2b66_b.jpg

49998788008_568e63e689_b.jpg

49999308076_2564429e61.jpg

49999559852_0f7897cc16_b.jpg

Soldato
I do quite a lot of miles (around 25k / year) in an F80 M3, so the same engine as the M2C. Over the past ~2 years I've averaged around 29mpg. It will comfortably manage 35mpg on a sensible motorway run, but equally will drink fuel like nobody's business if you're heavy footed.

Caporegime
911? Really think Porsche should do a 3/4 series equivalent. I think they're missing a trick. Only a decent version though, I.e. M3/4, I bet they could do one for not much more than a BMW.

No, my 981 S back in 2018. It was before release of the comp but there was a tester up in Newcastle and I was invited to drive it as I'd been discussing an M4 with them for a couple of months. I'm firmly of the opinion BMW don't know how to do damping.

Edit: or customer service in my experience.

Soldato
911? Really think Porsche should do a 3/4 series equivalent. I think they're missing a trick. Only a decent version though, I.e. M3/4, I bet they could do one for not much more than a BMW.
I don't think they would want to sell a car to compete with a 3 series as it will be too cheap and it would compete with Audi. Porsche charge loads more for cars because they can so it will have to be expensive and the market for a 3 series sized car that costs thousands more than a 3 series is probbably limited.

Soldato
Which would you go for on the used market- a 428/430i, or 430d (auto for all options)? They seem to be similar prices. 435/440i is about £2.5k more expensive than either (and there aren't many about relatively), whereas the others are around the same price. Petrols are lighter and more rev happy I guess, but not great on fuel for the performance and number of cylinders- just over 30mpg real world seems typical. 430d is heavier, but very torquey and more like 40-42mpg real world (though the fuel is slightly more expensive). Seems the best blend of performance and costs.

I'm more of a cruiser than a bounce it off the limiter type, so would lean towards the 430d, but just interested in views. Much difference in running costs (parts/servicing) if both are warrantied?

Man of Honour
If the mileage justifies it, the 430d is better. It's nicer to drive and quicker. 6 cylinders is always better than 4.

If you don't do the mileage find the extra 2k for the 435i.

Just say no to a 4 cylinder BMW.

Soldato
Still undecided what car to get into next - I've started casually looking at E92 M3's. What's the lowdown on ownership/running costs? Not too bothered about service items (brakes, tyres etc). Thinking about engine issues, or things to look out for that will likely need repairing/replacing during ownership.

Soldato
Still undecided what car to get into next - I've started casually looking at E92 M3's. What's the lowdown on ownership/running costs? Not too bothered about service items (brakes, tyres etc). Thinking about engine issues, or things to look out for that will likely need repairing/replacing during ownership.
Rod bearings is the only major one that costs a lot.
Everything else is managable.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Budget £1500 for rod bearing change. £600 for TAs. That's the minimum maintenance stuff you will need to do on almost all cars for sale if there's not solid evidence they've been done. The other things that regularly break are the front undertray which costs a bomb for the OEM part or you can get aftermarket items for about £2-300 and the DCT oil pan which will crack sooner or later - that's another £600 or so.

Fuel - expect 20mpg unless you hoof it about and then it'll be lower. Tax is £580/year.

I totally loved mine except for the rather enormous bills it generated despite my money-no-object approach to preventative maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom