Alex Rider - Amazon Prime

Soldato
Has anyone been watching this?

I remember very vaguely seeing the big screen adaptation 'Stormbreaker' and thinking it was very average and after the young adult craze assumed it was down to that but after watching the new Amazon Prime series (about 4-5 episodes in) I am genuinely surprised. I assumed it would be the traditional YA to gather as many viewers as possible it is certainly a lot darker and more intelligent than most.

I watched the first episode by random to kill some time a couple of nights ago and only got back to it today but am finding it pretty well put together.

Anyone else watched it?

Man of Honour
Just started the first episode seems surprisingly good so far. Noticed they seem to be putting quite a few hints into the set design as well as in significance of certain props, etc.

EDIT: Though the blue lights on when the police were at the house doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:
Consigliere
I read all the books when I was in my teens and loved them. Was very dissapointed by Stormbreaker but may well give this a try. Thanks for the heads up!

Mm ditto...found Stormbreaker a bit cringe. May also try this now...did see it pop up on Prime but wasn't sure. Surprised to even see a thread about it on here! :p

Man of Honour
I've only watched a couple of episodes but one thing I find a bit lacking is background exposition on how he acquired these skills - so far it has largely been waved away with "learnt from his uncle" while portraying his uncle as very strict at masking his real profession.

He mentions at one point knowing Krav Maga and demonstrates at least some competency yet his uncle doesn't seem like the kind of person who'd teach it or likely allow his nephew to learn it from the way he deals with him.

Man of Honour
I enjoyed the first half but found the second half pretty boring. Unfortunately they jumped through what ultimately was some of the more interesting setup stuff very quickly without really covering what would have been some of the more interesting background aspects and then dragged out the less interesting stuff once the story got into the main section :(

Soldato
The woman playing Jack is just awful. Ruins every part she shows up in.

Otherwise, a few episodes in, it's....fine. Nothing special and like @Rroff says, there's next to no set up from being a school lad who loses his uncle...to how he's portrayed from that point on. Made no sense to me. Not sure i'll carry on.

Back
Top Bottom