• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
Having problems with black screen crashes with my 5700xt! What’s the process of trying to remedy this? Is it just a driver issue? I’ve seen there are quite a few problems with those

I’m running two screens as I’m streaming and need to see the chat etc in another window

Soldato
Ok so seriously looking at the 5700XT Gigabyte OC card as my next, currently have a VEGA56 running at 64 BIOS with an UV setup giving me 537GB/s bandwidth

Have others gone the same route as me and seen good gains? or should I be holding out for the next gen stuff? The XT looks a really good card and the Gigabyte is exactly the right dimensions to fit in my limited Carbide 240 GPU space.

Thought asking the horses mouth would make the most sense and get the clearest answer :)

Ta

Ben

Soldato
Having problems with black screen crashes with my 5700xt! What’s the process of trying to remedy this? Is it just a driver issue? I’ve seen there are quite a few problems with those

I’m running two screens as I’m streaming and need to see the chat etc in another window
I'm running 3 screens and not had those problems, you running over display port? The only problems I've had is now and then then settings within Radeon reset due to a problem, and I hear something disconnect and connect so imagining that's my monitors, but all is ok, nothing goes off screen. I've been running the last two versions of the adrenalines...

Caporegime
@pugheaven I hope you don't mind me asking as I'm curious, but have you used OBS and/or the Radeon software to record any gameplay footage, and if so, how reliable/good an experience has it been? Cheers.

Associate
As of today, I have had to remove my Red Devil 5700 XT from my system and put back in my old RX 290. Reason, black screen of death crashes plaguing me over the last few days, with no solution to this sudden random outbreak. Reinstalling drivers, (20.5.1) or using older drivers has not helped. I'm now left with a difficult choice, as I have had the 5700 XT too long to return it and RMA'ing it might prove useless, as given the random nature of the black screen crash, it might be returned to me as 'working fine'

Do I have to now splash out on a 2070 Super and hope I can sell the 5700 XT to recoup some costs ? The idea of putting it back in my system and having to deal with random black screen crashes multiple times a day/week for the forseeable future, in the hope AMD fix things with their drivers soon isn't exactly pleasurable.

It's odd, the 5700 XT has been in my system for around 7 weeks with no memorable issues up until the last few days (If it did black screen in that period, it was so rare I've forgotten) but now it's doing it every day since I updated to 20.5.1 and no amount of clean uninstall/reinstall reverting to older drivers is stopping this. It's exceptionally bad as well, in that following every random BSC from the desktop/browser/game, I'm then not able to log back into Windows, as it black screens at the log in as well. Only booting into safe mode, uninstalling/reinstalling gets me back up running. Until the next BSC hits.

No problems with the RX 290 of course..

Associate

Having the same issue myself, quite badly. Nothing I have tried (drivers, registry hacks, disabling hardware acceleration etc) has worked..

Associate
Have you got pcie gen set to 3 instead of auto? Any motherboard or uefi updates?

Prior to installing 20.5.1, and the apparent long spell of no issues, the MB was running on pcie auto and no recent chipset driver update or bios update had been applied (Crosshair Hero VI). The bios is the latest anyway (7704). Following 20.5.1 and the sudden wave of black screen crashes, I did set the pcie to gen 3 and update the chipset drivers. That made no difference, the crashes continued.

Associate
Prior to installing 20.5.1, and the apparent long spell of no issues, the MB was running on pcie auto and no recent chipset driver update or bios update had been applied (Crosshair Hero VI). The bios is the latest anyway (7704). Following 20.5.1 and the sudden wave of black screen crashes, I did set the pcie to gen 3 and update the chipset drivers. That made no difference, the crashes continued.

Any recent windows update that might be affecting your rig? Have you got a spare drive you can slap a fresh copy of windows on or even Linux to rule this out?

Soldato
@pugheaven I hope you don't mind me asking as I'm curious, but have you used OBS and/or the Radeon software to record any gameplay footage, and if so, how reliable/good an experience has it been? Cheers.
No mate sorry not used it at all sorry. I use Bandicam for recording aything I need to, however it was my next task to see how this streaming works.

Caporegime
No mate sorry not used it at all sorry. I use Bandicam for recording aything I need to, however it was my next task to see how this streaming works.

No worries, thanks for the reply. Just thought I'd ask as I noticed you bought a 5700XT recently. I'll keep an eye open as I may end up switching back to the red team when I pick up my next card, but I'd need to know a bit more about the streaming/recording/hardware encoder capabilities, and so on.

Cool username btw. ;) :)

Associate
Hi All , My red devil has high idle temps of 50c - 52c is this normal?
Yeah same here. It depends what you mean by idle. If I close all YouTube tabs then I can run with fans 0 rpm, but once I ask the GPU to do anything the temps creep up until the fan auto kicks in and then its an annoying fan on/off cycle, so I leave fans always on lowest rpm when idle. My next AIB cooler will be a 3 fan design and longer card/cooler. Also its probably my low rpm case fans for silence that aren't helping. oh and the fact that there is 3mm clearance between my GPU and ATX PSU :) I have a plan for that too!

Associate
Any recent windows update that might be affecting your rig? Have you got a spare drive you can slap a fresh copy of windows on or even Linux to rule this out?
The last listed update for Windows on my system was 26th May. This run of black screen crashing started on June 5th. So 10 clear days with no issue until the problem hit, hmm. Given the random nature, it's hard to determine anything by removing that update I would think. I will look at setting up a portable copy of Windows on an external drive or stick and perhaps investigate running from that. Day two on the old R9 290X though is proving to be problem free and well, slower..

Associate
Sounds like an rma to be honest, sad to see so many users still suffering from black screens. I've been lucky with my 5700xt and other amd cards, only one black screen, but did have problems posting with one of the previous drivers (install went wonky somehow)

Soldato
Apologies if this in the wrong thread but the subject lends itself to multiple existing threads and I didn't want to start a new thread to add to mix.

Over the last two months, I have gone from an Intel/Nvidia setup through AMD/Nvidia to, in the last hour, an AMD/AMD setup - specifically 3700X, X570, 5700 XT (lots of Xs)

As an Nvidia user for YEARS all I used to do with a new card is go into Nvidia Control Panel, make sure the resolution was correct, the refresh rate was correct and enable G-Sync. However, having just installed AMD Adrenalin 20.4.2 I literally have no idea what, if anything, I'm meant to do next.

I have no interest in recording gameplay and/or streaming. I simply want to ensure I'm at the correct resolution and refresh rate, that Freesync is enabled and that I'm on the right settings to game at.

So I guess my question is this - Aside from installing AMD Adrenalin 20.4.2 do I actually need to make any changes at all?

(Genuine apologies for sounding thick. I've been up since 4am working and my brain isn't functioning today)

Associate
Make sure your refresh rate and resolution is set correctly in windows, from the radeon software it should automatically apply freesync on within each game.

The performance tab will show you your clock/vram speeds and fan profiles, you can customise them here very easily.

Back
Top Bottom