Road Cycling

Soldato
You want to apply some of this directly to saddle sores to help with healing and recovery...

https://www.boots.com/boots-pharmaceuticals-derma-care-w-w-cream-15g-10114906

Don't apply it constantly for weeks though as it can lead to thinning of the skin which can make the problem worse!

Yes, I was thinking of trying one. I've only had the issue twice before and it wasn't as bad. Once from large mileage outside of normal, which you can forgive, and once from using a saddle with a slight tear in it on a wattbike which I wasn't aware of.

Soldato
I ordered some Be Elite and gave that a try. Turned out to be Wiggle own brand. It's ok but not as good as the Muc Off stuff. Used to use Udderly Smooth but in recent year or so it arrives very smooth... aka runny.

In fact that Veloskin stuff looks remarkably similar to Be Elite. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/beelite-chamois-cream-250ml/

The tin is almost identical....
I'm hoping it's purely same/similar packaging provider rather than it being same stuff labelled up differently!

Soldato
So I took 4 days off to try and let some saddle sores recover last week. 6 hours sunday and 4 yesterday and one is back from not being fully recovered. They're such a pita, literally.
The big rides straight back into it really won't be helping, especially as you said in poor/old shorts. But I imagine they are your most comfortable if you rode them for big rides after a break? It can take skin 7-10 days or more to recover properly from damage. As it's in a sensitive area the skin there is especially soft and moves a lot so can take longer to properly heal.

I've always suffered with sores but generally keep them in check with keeping my riding volume fairly constant, along with the saddles I'm using (Specialized Power) and the shorts I'm generally wearing for my longer rides (Rapha Core). I'm also always using the same chamois cream (Assos). I also have their 'skin repair gel' and used it a few times. It seemed to work after some sores, but equally I think moisturising the area for a few days afterwards (with a derma-care as linked) would have the same effect.

The area I use cream is generally between my legs and the fleshy bit in the 'middle' where there's some skin overlap. I consider it like a lube. I don't actually apply it to my shorts pads as some people do. If I let hair get a bit too long 'down there' I have more friction type problems in the area. Doesn't lead to sores but makes things even more sensitive after long/wet/sweaty rides. So I tend to groom with clippers on a short #1 or #2 every couple of weeks around that general area as I find that most comfortable and keeps it in check. I've found I don't get the problem with ingrowing hairs or itching when it regrows or more sensitive skin from shaving. Bare clippers without a grade I've come unstuck with before so don't want to risk nicks again as that really spoilt things! :rolleyes:

I'm convinced the state of the roads on 25s isn't helping based on that 6 hour ride the other day. Desperate to switch to a 28 on wide rims. It's the vibration that does it after a period of hours from cut up road surface (wrists more than backside) . This is on gp5000 at a pressure not considered high.
The roads won't help if you're suddenly busting out multiple hours on rough surfaces when you usually ride smooth... If your current frame will fit the, even switching to 28's on your current rims will make a massive difference!

Used to use Udderly Smooth but in recent year or so it arrives very smooth... aka runny.
Found the same issue with it. I found the Wiggle own brand stuff ok but it didn't 'stay' put very much, it was a little too light so on some sweaty or wet rides it would almost be washed away by the end of the ride and I could tell... I had some 'Morgan Blue' waterproof stuff which CX riders are supposed to use and it was too thick to apply easily, like a wax, or like butter straight from the fridge! Also quite a brown colour and was afraid of it discolouring non-black pads. So I went back to Assos (and have used it for 5-6 years).

I have a similar situation, quite good friends with a few guys I work with in very close proximity so as far as I'm concerned, the risk of us sat in the garden having a beer is nothing more than the work we've been doing together for months. Still, it 'looks' bad from the outside I guess.

This whole BLM movement has kinda dealt with lock down anyway. In the same way Covid overpowered Brexit. Keep on cycling :D
It 'looking' bad is the main thing, there's so much increased rage/animosity towards cyclists at the moment (usual 'British Summertime Rage' seems to be heightened since CV19). Hopefully more people are back at work, the weather turns back more normal and we see some normality things will settle down again. People with more normality in their lives to make them tired should help rather than being bored, lazy and fatter which seems to make them more angry.

Let's keep the politics of it out of here as much as possible, but I for one hope the whole stupidity of rioting causes a good second wave to cull the knuckle dragging herd a little more (I'm only half joking!). I totally agree with the BLM awareness and it's a subject that's needed sorting for a few generations, but catching CV-19 and trashing things isn't the way to do it (let's be honest, the rioters are not protestors, they're those looking to cause trouble).

Last edited:
Soldato
I quite like the Veloskin cream, but annoyingly it’s not available through Amazon any more because you could get 15% off buying on subscription.

Saddle sores are 100% a bike fit issue though as they mean you’re moving around on the saddle, albeit that may become clearer depending on duration/type of ride. In my case, I’m running my saddle 2cm lower than a couple of years ago and spend a lot more time working on stability. I’ve gone from constant saddle sores on my left sitbone to none.

Soldato
It 'looking' bad is the main thing, there's so much increased rage/animosity towards cyclists at the moment (usual 'British Summertime Rage' seems to be heightened since CV19). Hopefully more people are back at work, the weather turns back more normal and we see some normality things will settle down again. People with more normality in their lives to make them tired should help rather than being bored, lazy and fatter which seems to make them more angry.

Let's keep the politics of it out of here as much as possible, but I for one hope the whole stupidity of rioting causes a good second wave to cull the knuckle dragging herd a little more (I'm only half joking!). I totally agree with the BLM awareness and it's a subject that's needed sorting for a few generations, but catching CV-19 and trashing things isn't the way to do it (let's be honest, the rioters are not protestors, they're those looking to cause trouble).

Agree on all points :)

Moving on...
I want a 'do it all' bike. My one bike for chain gangs, strava KOMs, intervals, long days out (Fred Whitton kinda stuff) maybe even a bit of bikepacking.

Struggling to find a better all rounder than this
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-sl-sram-etap/

Any thoughts?
Jack of all trades, master of none?

Soldato
The big rides straight back into it really won't be helping, especially as you said in poor/old shorts. But I imagine they are your most comfortable if you rode them for big rides after a break? It can take skin 7-10 days or more to recover properly from damage. As it's in a sensitive area the skin there is especially soft and moves a lot so can take longer to properly heal.

I've always suffered with sores but generally keep them in check with keeping my riding volume fairly constant, along with the saddles I'm using (Specialized Power) and the shorts I'm generally wearing for my longer rides (Rapha Core). I'm also always using the same chamois cream (Assos). I also have their 'skin repair gel' and used it a few times. It seemed to work after some sores, but equally I think moisturising the area for a few days afterwards (with a derma-care as linked) would have the same effect.

The area I use cream is generally between my legs and the fleshy bit in the 'middle' where there's some skin overlap. I consider it like a lube. I don't actually apply it to my shorts pads as some people do. If I let hair get a bit too long 'down there' I have more friction type problems in the area. Doesn't lead to sores but makes things even more sensitive after long/wet/sweaty rides. So I tend to groom with clippers on a short #1 or #2 every couple of weeks around that general area as I find that most comfortable and keeps it in check. I've found I don't get the problem with ingrowing hairs or itching when it regrows or more sensitive skin from shaving. Bare clippers without a grade I've come unstuck with before so don't want to risk nicks again as that really spoilt things! :rolleyes:

The roads won't help if you're suddenly busting out multiple hours on rough surfaces when you usually ride smooth... If your current frame will fit the, even switching to 28's on your current rims will make a massive difference!

Found the same issue with it. I found the Wiggle own brand stuff ok but it didn't 'stay' put very much, it was a little too light so on some sweaty or wet rides it would almost be washed away by the end of the ride and I could tell... I had some 'Morgan Blue' waterproof stuff which CX riders are supposed to use and it was too thick to apply easily, like a wax, or like butter straight from the fridge! Also quite a brown colour and was afraid of it discolouring non-black pads. So I went back to Assos (and have used it for 5-6 years).

I'm the same as you mate, I just lather it on myself rather than the pad. Have a customer refer to his gooch as his isny as it isny your balls and isny his ********.

I don't shave so do have to keep it in check too or else it's like sandpaper.

I'm still looking to get other shoes I think. Feet getting numb after an hour at the moment. Mostly when pushing on really.

Last night we were aiming for 270w for an hour which is weird knocking it back on climbs and pushing hard on descents. Didn't feel gubbed after it but my legs feel like I've been riding for sure.

Soldato
I quite like the Veloskin cream, but annoyingly it’s not available through Amazon any more because you could get 15% off buying on subscription.

Saddle sores are 100% a bike fit issue though as they mean you’re moving around on the saddle, albeit that may become clearer depending on duration/type of ride. In my case, I’m running my saddle 2cm lower than a couple of years ago and spend a lot more time working on stability. I’ve gone from constant saddle sores on my left sitbone to none.
Not true re bike fit, it's just a possible cause. Cycle enough without rest periods and they can appear regardless of who you are. World tour pros get them and sometimes will abandon entire tours as a result. Avoiding any movement on the saddle isn't possible. You may think there's zero movement, but there will be.

Soldato
I've just ordered a pair of classic dhb bibs. From the reviews, it didn't seem the Aerons justified double the price?

I also wondered, how long do you guys usually wait for their bike to be serviced at their LBS? I appreciate they're very busy now but mine is taking particularly long this time around with both my bikes :( was hoping to get another ride in today before back to work tomorrow.

Soldato
Not true re bike fit, it's just a possible cause. Cycle enough without rest periods and they can appear regardless of who you are. World tour pros get them and sometimes will abandon entire tours as a result. Avoiding any movement on the saddle isn't possible. You may think there's zero movement, but there will be.

Maybe 100% is an exaggeration, but I'd say its close to 99% within the recreational cyclist population. It's also not about eliminating saddle movement but reducing it to a level where no soreness results from your standard riding activities, and I believe that is achievable for the vast majority of riders unless you have significant physical issues. There is a right combination of fit, saddle and shorts for every rider. On top of that, we aren't solely bike riders. If we spend a lot of time in front of a computer, in the car or sitting without keeping up a remedial strength/mobility regime then a bike that fits can quickly become one that doesn't if our hips, shoulders etc get gummed up.

For pros, you'd be surprised how many ride through back pain, knee pain or other issues, and they're not necessarily a benchmark for bike fitting. Equally though, I totally agree that riding GT distances in GT weather will lead to minor abrasions and infections that result in saddle sores even if your fit is dialled in. Also worth noting that pros will often tweak their fit to compensate over the course of a long race as their body starts to wear down from the effort, lowering their saddle or tweaking bar reach. How many amateurs do the same on their fourth day of hard riding? I know I don't. :)

This is just a subject I find interesting after a very lengthy personal bike fitting odyssey and I have fairly strong views on it - but I'm always open to challenge.

Soldato
Maybe 100% is an exaggeration, but I'd say its close to 99% within the recreational cyclist population. It's also not about eliminating saddle movement but reducing it to a level where no soreness results from your standard riding activities, and I believe that is achievable for the vast majority of riders unless you have significant physical issues. There is a right combination of fit, saddle and shorts for every rider. On top of that, we aren't solely bike riders. If we spend a lot of time in front of a computer, in the car or sitting without keeping up a remedial strength/mobility regime then a bike that fits can quickly become one that doesn't if our hips, shoulders etc get gummed up.

For pros, you'd be surprised how many ride through back pain, knee pain or other issues, and they're not necessarily a benchmark for bike fitting. Equally though, I totally agree that riding GT distances in GT weather will lead to minor abrasions and infections that result in saddle sores even if your fit is dialled in. Also worth noting that pros will often tweak their fit to compensate over the course of a long race as their body starts to wear down from the effort, lowering their saddle or tweaking bar reach. How many amateurs do the same on their fourth day of hard riding? I know I don't. :)

This is just a subject I find interesting after a very lengthy personal bike fitting odyssey and I have fairly strong views on it - but I'm always open to challenge.

It will be high and you're right re recreational rides. I'm more talking about preventing it when you're needing to do regular training of 15-25h a week in the saddle, into the 30s leading up to something, maybe more. There's only so much a bike fit like the retul one I had can do. I'll see once they've healed. When I got one previously (long hours), there was literally nothing else I could have done to prevent it at the time. If I go on a trainer this winter with long hours, I'll be very interested to see if the problem arises on what will be the current bike. Convinced road vibration is linked to it.

Soldato
It will be high and you're right re recreational rides. I'm more talking about preventing it when you're needing to do regular training of 15-25h a week in the saddle, into the 30s leading up to something, maybe more. There's only so much a bike fit like the retul one I had can do. I'll see once they've healed. When I got one previously (long hours), there was literally nothing else I could have done to prevent it at the time. If I go on a trainer this winter with long hours, I'll be very interested to see if the problem arises on what will be the current bike. Convinced road vibration is linked to it.

More than 15 hours a week is pretty serious, what do your weeks look like out of interest? I tend to vary between 12-20hrs which is just about manageable around work, but think I’ve only gone over 20 on holiday.

Back
Top Bottom