E10 or 10% Ethanol unleaded fuel is due to be rolled out in 2021 but not all cars can run it

Caporegime
I was hearing about E10 being rolled out across the country and how the doom mongers were upset and reckoned just under a million cars could be 'forced' off the road if they don't keep some E5 (5% Ethanol, what we have now) pumps running. I'd also read that some Turbocharged cars can't use it so thought I'd be a generally helpful chap and post up the links I found so you can check your Motors.

This page has a link to the PDF so you can check your cars.

The Direct PDF link is here if so desired.

My Ford Focus is covered as are nearly every Ford sold since 1992 in Europe so I'm OK. It's certainly worth checking. One surprise is that the Carrera GT can't use E10!

Associate
In the government proposals, which were broadly supported, you will still be able buy E5 or E0 in the form of Super Unleaded anyway, so I don't see an issue. It's a pitty they didn't remove any mention of lead while they're at it. Very outdated name.

Man of Honour
I'm wondering where it is going with diesel - though I probably won't be running the same vehicle by the time but it is already close to the max before the engine is known to degrade quickly.

Personally I think it is a bit of a con - I get slightly lower MPG using B7 which pretty much offsets any environmental gains from what I can see so basically someone is making a little extra money from it and that is about it. (EDIT: Obviously that is just my experience with the vehicles I drive - I can't say for sure it is true over all vehicles - my truck for instance on regular diesel I was getting ~30.2MPG while with B7 I struggle to top 27.x.).

Last edited:
Soldato
they have committed to continuing either E0 or E5 as ‘Super’ until 2025 I believe?
It's OK on E5, but that's still not very long for a bike that should last 3-4 times that quite easily... and likely as long as parts remain available.
I'd get a new one, but there just isn't anything else that comes close.

Soldato
Dunno about now - I've not seen pumps not marked B7 in awhile.

That's just labeling that's changed recently though.

BP seem to suggest diesel in the UK has been B7 for over a decade now.

What is B7 diesel?
It’s the same diesel fuel that you’re currently using. Diesel fuel in the UK already contains up to 7% biodiesel and has done for more than 10 years. Both BP regular diesel and BP Ultimate Diesel are now also labelled as B7.

Man of Honour
That's just labeling that's changed recently though.

BP seem to suggest diesel in the UK has been B7 for over a decade now.

Curious if true - my regular garage used to have one pump labelled B7 and one just regular up until 2019 and I'd get a marked MPG difference between them. A week of the same commute with a tank from one would get ~30.2MPG while the other 27.x.

EgWCIHQ.png

Pics I took one from when I used the non-B7 pump and the other from after they changed both to be labelled B7 - both from regularly doing the same runs under similar conditions.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm wondering where it is going with diesel - though I probably won't be running the same vehicle by the time but it is already close to the max before the engine is known to degrade quickly.

Personally I think it is a bit of a con - I get slightly lower MPG using B7 which pretty much offsets any environmental gains from what I can see so basically someone is making a little extra money from it and that is about it. (EDIT: Obviously that is just my experience with the vehicles I drive - I can't say for sure it is true over all vehicles - my truck for instance on regular diesel I was getting ~30.2MPG while with B7 I struggle to top 27.x.).

All the "biofuels" are less efficient afaik :/

Soldato
I was hearing about E10 being rolled out across the country and how the doom mongers were upset and reckoned just under a million cars could be 'forced' off the road if they don't keep some E5 (5% Ethanol, what we have now) pumps running. I'd also read that some Turbocharged cars can't use it so thought I'd be a generally helpful chap and post up the links I found so you can check your Motors.

This page has a link to the PDF so you can check your cars.

The Direct PDF link is here if so desired.

My Ford Focus is covered as are nearly every Ford sold since 1992 in Europe so I'm OK. It's certainly worth checking. One surprise is that the Carrera GT can't use E10!
Tbf, I bet the standard carrera gt owner could probably get 5 years life out of a single tank:p.

Back
Top Bottom