BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
If you're with BT for your phone service then it's the port on the SmartHub that'll be active. If you're using another ISP then it could either be their router or it could be the port on the ONT.

Soldato
If you're with BT for your phone service then it's the port on the SmartHub that'll be active. If you're using another ISP then it could either be their router or it could be the port on the ONT.

I'm with BT and my phone is on the old copper connection. I have the phone output on the ONT but that is not active. I'm sure Openreach have dropped this service now and left it with ISPs to arrange.

Must be a knock on of my service being moved in two parts, I'll not ask BT about it as it's handy having the phone on the old wiring as we have an alarm system on it and the phone base unit is connected on a hardwired extension if they move it to the Hub I would need to rewire the extensions and start using it rather than my own equipment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys how much faith or credence should I put into this?

An email received this morning from Openreach (having registered my details many moons ago)

Great news!

Your address is part of our Ultrafast fibre rollout programme. We'll keep you updated throughout the process as your address progresses through our build plan.

These are the details we have passed on to our technical team to get started.

Should I take that as a good sign that FTTP is on the way or should I file it under marketing speak for "We'll get to you sometime before 2030" ?!?

Soldato
Not what the engineer told me. I don't have a phone to try though. On the router setup screens the phone option is greyed out and says not configured which is what id expect from what the engineer said.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/...will need to plug,one which is showing green.

Last edited:
Soldato
Enter your details into https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first#FibrecheckerX and see what it says. I'd take it as a good sign that FTTP is on the way.

From memory, it took about 7 months from when the Openreach fibre checker said that FTTP was on the way until I had it installed.

Tried that, it confirms FTTC is available now. Under the FTTP header, it says -

"Faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your area soon. Full Fibre is our fastest technology, but your exact speed will depend on which broadband provider and package you choose. Sign up for news and updates."

I was just curious if anyone had a real-world example of what "soon" might look like in reality but I guess it's an unknown quantity really.

Soldato
Soldato
Openreach stopped offering FVA for new orders after March this is the service that would have connected to the ONT Voice port.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/ho...reaccess/fibrevoiceaccess/fibrevoiceaccess.do

So I’m getting FTTP in a few weeks, I was assuming I’d be able to use the phone port on the modem.

If this isn’t the case then I won’t be able to use the phone part of the package because I won’t be using the supplied SuperHub?

If so being forced to pay for the phone part of it is a bit unfair! Edit: Doesn't seem that I'm paying for it after all!

Last edited:
Soldato
So I’m getting FTTP in a few weeks, I was assuming I’d be able to use the phone port on the modem.

If this isn’t the case then I won’t be able to use the phone part of the package because I won’t be using the supplied SuperHub?

If so being forced to pay for the phone part of it is a bit unfair!

Both mine and the-evaluator still have the voice on the old copper line. I didn't expect this as Openreach want to remove all PSTN lines by 2025 so in the future our phone service is going to have be migrated off it.

Soldato
Unless you've made specific arrangements with BT I would expect that your phone service will remain on the current copper pairs.

The copper line is still there but not connected to anything (previous owners removed the port and pushed the cable out the wall!), plus in a few months that side of the house is being re-rendered so all the cabling to the three flats (two are actually disconnected and hanging free anyway) will have to be removed... (don't ask!)

Might have to ring BT to confirm that I'll be able to use the digital voice service.

Caporegime
Not any more, Fibre Voice Access is end of sale, Openreach don't want to be in the business of delivering telephone calls.

Soldato
They activated VOIP on my ONT, If I recall I needed a landline number to order BTTV and reconnecting the POTS to the property would have mean't the engineer heading up a lot of poles and connecting up a lot of fresh cabling.

So he contacted some team or other , who in turned asked me there and then if I minded VOIP to which I replied 'no not really' and that was that, activated in 24hours .Never use it.

Soldato
Just rang BT about the Digital Voice, as expected only available now through the SmartHub.

Thus as I won't be using it, I won't be able to use the digital voice system. Thankfully it turns out it is "free".

No great loss as I very, very rarely use it. I wonder if I plugged the SH2 into my switch if the VOIP service would work still... One to test when it arrives!

Caporegime
I didn't actually realise they were rolling out Fibre overhead? I had always assumed you would need it running underground through a duct as that is the only method I've seen used when deploying it directly to the property.

Does this mean the rollout around the country should be much quicker or are they still only doing this in certain areas with pavement ducts still used in others?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
All of BTs infra (well, the vast majority) is overhead around here. BT FTTP is going on the poles. I cant see that they'd dig it into the ground for the vast majority of the country. They'll just use what they have :)

Caporegime
If your phone line is fed underground then your fibre will be as well, if it's overhead then the fibre will be overhead. If your cable is underground but direct buried rather than ducted (think this is probably relevant for the 1950s-type builds) then I don't know what the approach is.

Associate
If your phone line is fed underground then your fibre will be as well, if it's overhead then the fibre will be overhead. If your cable is underground but direct buried rather than ducted (think this is probably relevant for the 1950s-type builds) then I don't know what the approach is.

If its direct buried the normal approach has been to erect a pole. At the moment they often skip direct buried properties for none BDUK due to the extra costs and work involved.

Back
Top Bottom