**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
I found a few micro scratches on my screen. Annoyingly, I've never really got them before, but now I cycle a lot, I think it's in a pocket I use for the phone. I don't know how, I can't feel anything that should scratch, put it happened to my Pixel 4 too... Anyway, to the point, I bought a tempered glass screen protector, but not the FPS wont work and it clearly misses some taps on the screen, especially near the edges. I've ordered a film SP for now... has anyone any experience with decent 3rd party screen protectors?

Soldato
has anyone any experience with decent 3rd party screen protectors?
IMO there's no such thing. No screen protector can replicate the feel and responsiveness of the real screen. More so, in the past couple of years a SP on Android phones with gestures has been a real PITA. The swipe up from the bottom inevitably starts to lift the protector and leaves a film of dust on the edges.

Soldato
Had the Ultimate shield liquid glass on for a few weeks now and no issues so far. Like the fact you can't tell it's on. It's pricey but I didn't want issues with the curved screen and not sticking properly.

Soldato
@Jabbs How did the install go on the US?

My first try was shambolic and the glue just fell off the screen and had to be siphoned on to some plastic and dropped back on, the glue started to set before I got good coverage and in the end just had to abandon the whole escapade. Since then I've just been using a TPU screen protector and it's done a great job, but clearly not suitable longer term as dust gets around the edges and more scratches/dents start to collect.

Soldato
I just taped everywhere that needed it. I found it ok to apply , cleaned screen and dropped liquid on. Placed screen protector and it did the rest tbh. Just followed instructions. Just some tiny cleaning to do after but was happy with result. It doesn't set on this until you use the provided UV light.

I was worried with it costing a lot but I like the fact I can't tell it's on.

Associate
you name the type of screen protector, i've used it

at the end of the day, the best ones i've found are always those cheap films that if put on correctly and cover most of the screen are the best ones. it's not perfect but they're popular for a reason

Soldato
After a couple more weeks of use, I've discovered that the OP8 Pro camera is really bad when it comes to capturing detail in hair, particularly my daughter's. Rather than individual strands showing, it blurs big patches together into a horrible blonde smear, like it's trying to artificially smooth the detail when it isn't required.

Other than that, it's the smoothest device I've used and that's something I really appreciate. Most people will accept that iPhones are generally pretty smooth, but my wife's XS (a model which I also used to own), looks like it's running in juddery slow motion in comparison. So all OnePro need to do is make a 6.2" flat screen, 120hz model with an improved camera. Then it would go from great to amazing :p

Soldato
After a couple more weeks of use, I've discovered that the OP8 Pro camera is really bad when it comes to capturing detail in hair, particularly my daughter's. Rather than individual strands showing, it blurs big patches together into a horrible blonde smear, like it's trying to artificially smooth the detail when it isn't required.

Other than that, it's the smoothest device I've used and that's something I really appreciate. Most people will accept that iPhones are generally pretty smooth, but my wife's XS (a model which I also used to own), looks like it's running in juddery slow motion in comparison. So all OnePro need to do is make a 6.2" flat screen, 120hz model with an improved camera. Then it would go from great to amazing :p
I've just installed the GCam available here (https://www.xda-developers.com/onep...mod-port-urnyx05-telephoto-wide-angle-camera/) and just started trying to compare photos. Only taken a few so far, but worth a try to see if you get better results with hair?

Soldato
I've ordered a green oneplus 8 for £464 (ebay voucher code). It's a grey import, but I wanted the green one which seems only available here in the more expensive 12gb variant.

To be honest, I was waiting to see what the Z was like, or the pixel 4a but thinking the 8 at that price was the better choice.

Oh, and I could actually do with the foreign charger as I travel with work quite a bit :D

Soldato
I've just installed the GCam available here (https://www.xda-developers.com/onep...mod-port-urnyx05-telephoto-wide-angle-camera/) and just started trying to compare photos. Only taken a few so far, but worth a try to see if you get better results with hair?

Thanks for the link, but doesn't GCAM require some compromises once it's installed? And I notice that the macro cam doesn't work. Really I just want to point and shoot without extra hassle. Maybe I have misunderstood how GCAM works once it's installed.

Soldato
Due to an upgrade from my 6t in the next couple of months. Gearing towards the 8 but curved screen is putting me off slightly due to the ghost touches. I tend to do a fair bit of gaming these days on my mobile with the arrival of the lil one; anyone have such issues?

Soldato
I can't say I've noticed a single ghost touch on my 8 pro - a software update came out to improve matters before I bought the device, and I believe it was an issue for many before that update. So for me it's definitely not an issue, though I do use a case. YMMV.

Soldato
Thanks for the link, but doesn't GCAM require some compromises once it's installed? And I notice that the macro cam doesn't work. Really I just want to point and shoot without extra hassle. Maybe I have misunderstood how GCAM works once it's installed.
So you can open the GCAM app and simple tap to take a photo. But yes there are limitations mentioned in the XDA article, but hopefully it will be improved and updated.

Soldato
More observations on the stock camera:

It can produce outstanding results, but isn't reliable. Yesterday, I took a photo of my mam and wife sitting at a table, with my wife about 5 feet further from the camera. My mam was in perfect focus, but my wife was not. Also, the sun was shining on my wife's forehead and the camera turned that area into a much larger patch of harsh white. A second attempt at the same photo produced a much better result. I have encountered other examples of this inconsistency and it means I can't rely on a photo I've taken being usable. My old Note 10+ took perfect daylight photos (or at least perfect to my taste) first time every time.

I had a look at the GCAM mods, but to be honest I was put off by the quantity of files to try and also the disclaimers. I'd rather just use the phone as-is.

Soldato
More observations on the stock camera:

It can produce outstanding results, but isn't reliable. Yesterday, I took a photo of my mam and wife sitting at a table, with my wife about 5 feet further from the camera. My mam was in perfect focus, but my wife was not. Also, the sun was shining on my wife's forehead and the camera turned that area into a much larger patch of harsh white. A second attempt at the same photo produced a much better result. I have encountered other examples of this inconsistency and it means I can't rely on a photo I've taken being usable. My old Note 10+ took perfect daylight photos (or at least perfect to my taste) first time every time.

I had a look at the GCAM mods, but to be honest I was put off by the quantity of files to try and also the disclaimers. I'd rather just use the phone as-is.

Oneplus phones have always been like this though. They can take some great photos as you've noticed, but they simply aren't reliable. My sisters wedding was horrendous. Half the phones were unusable.

Soldato
Yesterday, I took a photo of my mam and wife sitting at a table, with my wife about 5 feet further from the camera. My mam was in perfect focus, but my wife was not.

Surely this is what a £5,000 DSLR would do too? You're saying your mam was close, your wife was further away? That's just depth of field, surely? Yes, you could argue you want the phone to be smart, recognise two faces looking at it and try and keep them both in focus, but a lot of people would prefer the bokeh, so it's a little harsh to say its bad because of this surely?

Again, I would expect the over exposure of your wife was because it was 'focusing' (literally) on your mam, so was setting the exposure based on her? Again, I would suggest that's not cause to say it's a bad camera.

Hard really to say without seeing the pics I guess and what you might have done, like tapping to focus on your mam. (And no, I'm not asking you to post personal pics, just saying :) )

Soldato
I understand what you're saying about the bokeh, but the phone didn't even apply it well. The background was out of focus, but my wife was somewhere in between. And really, if I wanted bokeh, I'd have chosen a portrait shot. If I take a non-portrait shot it's because I want everything in focus. I read somewhere that the 8 Pro can do better bokeh without portrait mode and that seems counterintuitive.

Again, the Note 10 nailed everything first time in daylight shots. It was just bad when it came to low light, and that's where the 8 Pro is better. Trouble is, I take 90% of my photos in the day.

Soldato
I understand what you're saying about the bokeh, but the phone didn't even apply it well. The background was out of focus, but my wife was somewhere in between.

So again, like a £5,000 DSLR might.

And really, if I wanted bokeh, I'd have chosen a portrait shot.

Like a cheap camera phone that needed to fake the bokeh, not a real bokeh produced by a decent lens, you mean?

If I take a non-portrait shot it's because I want everything in focus. I read somewhere that the 8 Pro can do better bokeh without portrait mode and that seems counterintuitive.

Or it seems, like a decent camera and lens would?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think you might be being unfair. It might not perform like a normal camera phone, but it might be it's performing like a decent camera.

Back
Top Bottom