Selling house, 20 year old boiler?

Soldato
OP
Hmm, some interesting points on both sides, that hasnt really helped :p

Thanks for the inputs though, I think i'm leaning towards the side of keeping up with the annual servicing and replacing if/when it does become uneconomical to repair/get parts

Associate
I’ll be selling my father’s house soon. Boiler is an old Baxi back boiler. It was put in when the house was built in the 60s. Father never had any problems with it which is remarkable. I’m expecting potential buyers to knock 5k off the asking price of the house.

Soldato
It’s an absolute minute fraction of any house sale. I’d just tell them it was already factored into the price.

This isn't always true.

To a first time buyer spending £60k, £3k is likely to be a more significant sum and they may need to offer less to afford the purchase.
Maybe this only applies "up North", but that's the reality for a lot of people.

If it's a more expensive house, I agree, it pales into insignificance.

To the OP, I think I would probably figure it in to my starting offer, in the same way any other repairs would, then go from there. If I really liked the house, it wouldn't put me off. I wouldn't expect you to replace it though.

Soldato
An offer is an offer, it can be based on whatever you want.

Personally purchased a house with a 25 year old boiler original with the house as well as a kitchen of the same age and the price I paid reflected this. The boiler was fully serviced and had been covered by british gas from new so we just carried that on till we changed it a year and half later. The kitchen was changed 2 months after we arrived.

Soldato
When i purchased my property (original boiler since 1985) the heating engineer basically said if its working do not change it. He mentioned that the newer boilers are all electronic thus more potential problems .e.g. PCB board etc. We only changed the boiler in the end in 2017 when we had a big water leak (Tank in loft overflowed whilst on holiday) and changed it to a combi.

Soldato
I was told boilers should be replaced every 10-12 years. If they haven't been serviced and are gas they may be dangerous especially if they are leaking.

Caporegime
Nope and if someone tried to negotiate based on this I would tell them to jog on.

Pretty much this.

The cost of a brand new topnof the range boiler from vaillant, Worcester bosch and the likes is £800-£1500 for a normal sized home.

Asking for £5k off for something that may cost at best £2k in the future I would decline.

FYI my current boiler is over 20 years old and I only moved in less than 4 years ago.

I knew it would need replacing at some point but I also knew its a minor cost.

Unless I plan on doing a full overhaul of the system.

Caporegime
I was told boilers should be replaced every 10-12 years. If they haven't been serviced and are gas they may be dangerous especially if they are leaking.

Rubbish. I had mine serviced a few weeks back as it was making a loud whining noise. Turned out to be the fan needed cleaning and some oil applied.

I watched the guy service it and all he did was take the cover off. Clean some bits with a brush and hoover some dust.

Servicing is a con. There is nothing to service. I basically paid for him to clean the fan and lubricate it. I entertained the service as it was cheap. Like £60 all in.

I won't be getting it serviced again and it's the first time I've done so in 3 years and it's over 20 years old.

He said the housing for the flue is slightly cracked but I have carbon monoxide detector a few feet away and it's in a case within a case within a cupboard.

I saw him do everything in front of me and I'm confident it's safe and unless another issue arrives it won't be touched again.

Associate
To my mind as a buyer, the whole point of a second viewing is to check details. Okay virtually impossible to spot every fault, undertaking basic tests will help get a general idea of the condition of plumbing, heating or gas/electrics. Even better if you know friends/family members who may be more knowledgable in these areas.

We factored a new boiler when making an offer from the outset; knowing it needed to be replaced sooner. Asking for a new boiler - No harm, but be prepared to either walk away or accept that the seller will not budge.

In my case, solicitor asked when boiler was last serviced, the seller did not know, zero paperwork. Seller agreed to service but in all honesty, the certificate was useless, looked like something drawn up over a few pints! It gave no confidence.

Would i miss out on a sale purely on an old boiler? No, for me it was a case of planning for the worst case scenario; either the boiler is condemned or packs up!

The above sale fell through not because of the boiler. It was a learning though.

Soldato
Our house had a boiler that had no records of a previous service. We asked our solicitor to request it was serviced but they said there was no obligation for the current owners to service it and could delay the purchase. When we moved in we had it serviced and it was ****ed. Ended up buying a new one.

Similar to what happened with our house, had it replaced after a year of problems. I prefer that we replaced it though rather than the previous owner as I have more control over what boiler is installed and who carries out the work. So I would say to the OP to leave it be.

Soldato
Rubbish. I had mine serviced a few weeks back as it was making a loud whining noise. Turned out to be the fan needed cleaning and some oil applied.

I watched the guy service it and all he did was take the cover off. Clean some bits with a brush and hoover some dust.

Servicing is a con. There is nothing to service. I basically paid for him to clean the fan and lubricate it. I entertained the service as it was cheap. Like £60 all in.

I won't be getting it serviced again and it's the first time I've done so in 3 years and it's over 20 years old.

He said the housing for the flue is slightly cracked but I have carbon monoxide detector a few feet away and it's in a case within a case within a cupboard.

I saw him do everything in front of me and I'm confident it's safe and unless another issue arrives it won't be touched again.
-
It depends on the boiler, I don't think its all about replacing consumable parts but to ensure its working properly. The year after i had the new boiler installed i had it serviced and the plumber was here an hour but then it only cost around £30.

I'm guessing if your boiler is 20 years old it isn't the most economical. Does your house insurance require the boiler to be regularly serviced?

Caporegime
-
It depends on the boiler, I don't think its all about replacing consumable parts but to ensure its working properly. The year after i had the new boiler installed i had it serviced and the plumber was here an hour but then it only cost around £30.

I'm guessing if your boiler is 20 years old it isn't the most economical. Does your house insurance require the boiler to be regularly serviced?

The guy came here to investigate the noise he was here for 2 hours maybe 3 the first time and then another 2-3 for the service so £60 I thought was a good deal for his expertise and time.

As for working correctly. Most modern boilers don't really have anything that goes wrong and they will continue to work.

If something breaks it usually means it will stop working maybe not completely but you will be able to tell. It needs some work on it.

I've replaced the pump 2 years ago and the diverter valve. The control board was the main weak point on this boiler and that was replaced with a nest smart system 4 years ago. It was on it's last knees and to replace with oem parts would be more than nest and they would fail again.

Nothing needs to be touched boiler wise. The pilot light is a smart system where it is electric and therefore never needs to be replaced or cleaned unless it breaks.

The gas engineer mentioned something about my pipes being smaller than newer ones so I'd need to replace all the pipes or stick with the smaller inlet when the boiler eventually dies.

He said he was surprised the boiler was still working but he was a young boy so he's used to working with modern boilers and he said they usually last 8 years in his experience. Unless you buy top end then you might get 10-15 out of one.

He honestly didn't check anything as there is nothing to check bar for pressure leaks.

The boiler has a light on it which will flash if something is wrong, etc.

Once this dies ill probably need to get the replacement serviced to keep the warranty in check. But after the initial warranty period I'll probably leave it 5 years between services and that's so they can clean it. Tbh nothing should be getting in there it's just parts of the heat shield that have worn and cracked over time. It's a case within a case. Very little needs done to them.

You are better off taking the service money and putting it in a tin towards your next boiler.

A decent boiler can be had for £800-£1500.

£50 times 20 years is £1000.

Servicing is pretty much not required unless you have a problem.

Take the pump for instance. I'd rather it die so it can be replaced with a more Eco friendly version which consumes less electricity therefore paying for itself.

My old boiler it's probably better off with the same now. No point in service or repairs unless small as I can get a new more economical boiler which will pay for itself with the savings.

It's better to run them into the ground then replace them and spend as little as you can keeping them going.

Labour is what the biggest bill is. Not the actual system.

Ill probably overhaul the whole system buy mid to high end and sell on the stuff that still works second hand to re coup most of the costs. I reckon i can still get 50% or more for the pump as it's only 2 years old. But it's not the one I wanted but it was the only one they had that would fit when the old one needed replacing.

The engineer said the boiler looked fine and it will definetely get me through at least one more winter. If my next boiler lasts over 20 years I'll be laughing.

Soldato
I wouldn't go changing a perfectly working boiler just because it's 20 years old. British Gas might try and say it's obsolete if it breaks down, but any other decent gas man worth his salt will be able to source parts for any boiler.

Only time I would change a boiler is if it was an old back boiler and I wanted a modern combi put in, but those Baxi back boilers are made like tanks.

Soldato
We moved into our current place just over a year ago and the boiler is actually older than me (installed in 1989 according to the paperwork left). The previous owner had it serviced each year and we asked them to service it as part of the house purchase (which they did).

Touch wood we've had no issues so far, we always planned to replace the boiler and will the second it causes us an issue but it does show that an older boiler can continue to run without issue.

Some may quote figures like £800 for a new boiler but realistically the actual cost for us will be £3k, the replacement boiler will be about £1500 and then there will be significant work to move it from it's current location (kitchen) to somewhere more suitable.

To answer the OP we didn't use it to negotiate on the price as frankly it's a tiny fraction (less than half a percent of the asking price). If the property was cheaper (say £100k) I would be tempted to use a boiler (or anything else) to knock money off.

Back
Top Bottom