• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus ROG Strix 2080Ti fans at 100% when temp @70c

Associate
Hi, would anyone happen to have any idea why the fans (all three) are ramping up to 3500rpm when the temp hits 70/71c ? Didn't think 71c was the max temp.

Playing Doom Eternal after a few mins the fans ramp up, alt tab back to windows and withing a couple of seconds the speeds are down to 1200rpm and temps <65c, re-enter game and speeds ramp up again.

Can't recall this ever happening before.

No crashing, or artifacts, stutters, just like someone has switched the vacuum cleaner on.

Is this a VGA BIOS bug/issue or driver issue or is the card faulty?

Thanks for any help.

Soldato
It's a fan curve problem. Do you have msi afterburner installed or other desktop software that controls the fans?

that gpu has a "performance" and "quiet" mode switch on the side of the card, change it to quiet and see if that does anything

Associate
OP
No software installed that controls the fans, switch is already on quiet mode, as of now its ~33c in Windows, all fans idle.

VGA bios version is: 90.02.0B.40.34

Associate
OP
Well messing about with afterburner i can override the fan profile with no issues to a point. When the temp hit 71c the fans ramp up to 3000rpm whatever profile is set. Temps never exceeded 73c.

I've no idea why it needs to increase the fans to such a speed for a relatively low temp within spec.

Associate
Did you get anywhere with this issue? Having a similar one with my Palit card at 78c. As soon as it gets there it completely ignores my fan curve and goes full speed, although with mine they go up for a few seconds, then down, then up etc... over and over

Associate
I once had a problem like that, I ended up repasting the card and it never ramped up the fans again. Seems the paste had dried out a bit around the edges of the GPU even though the GPU was reporting normal temps.

Looked like this before repasting, one fan would normally ramp up for 2secs then back down.

dIRi9qYh.jpg

Associate
Looking like that is the way forward, just concerned about warranty issues if anything goes wrong. Palit would tell me to do one if I started messing around and from what I've read there are warranty void if removed stickers that would stop me.

I think I'll try and tinker with undervolting the card for now so I can keep temps down, and re-paste later when there's no warranty left.

Associate
Make sure to buy some thermal pads beforehand just in case. Amazon do a pack of various thicknesses and I'm sure other vendors do too. At least one will always need replacing when you take the cooler off

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I had the same problem with a gigabyte 2080ti when it hit 81c. A repaste fixed it right up. Never even gets close now

That is pretty high. My Zotac equivalent left to its own devices never exceeds 71C.

Even running that 360W BIOS only saw it hit 76C, albeit with the fans a little louder.

Associate
What case / fan set up are you running? I did a whole bunch of testing with mine, both with, and without any automatic OCing by way of Afterburner. Even with what I consider to be decent airflow in my 680x it doesn't seem to be able to sit at 70, it idles at about 45, and then absolutely flies up to 65, hitting 70s relatively quickly.

Going to see if I can get some testing done in it's previous system. Hopefully that'll reveal more!

Back
Top Bottom