After some rough estimates for house jobs and restoration.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I’d forgotten about this forum and came across it when searching for hot tubs if anyone has one.

Anyway I have another house which I plan to update and modernise over next six months and shall then move into it. The house is pretty nice as it is but I want to modernise certain areas and certain rooms and as this is new territory for me I was hoping people here who have already had jobs done on their houses could help me with rough cost please.

Living room is around 35-40m2 squared and I wish to laminate the entire floor and also potentially add underfloor heating too, what rough cost to laminate a room of this size roughly around 9-10m long and about 4.5m wide?

Reception/hall is about 5m long and 2m wife, again just laminate floor, maybe under floor heating too.

Downstairs bathroom is medium size and currently has a large bathtub, sink and toilette and the whole room is tiled and laminate floor. My plan is to remove bath tub and turn this into a true wet room so drains in floor and it to be done to really high standards with just a shower rainfall type and side pressure attachment again no base for shower as want it true wet room style and may stick with current tiles or maybe just retile the whole room, and rough ideas please?

Upstairs bathroom plan is to remove false wall and install a much larger shower tray bottom so not a wet room but removal of false wall / cupboard, install larger shower and some tiling.

The bedrooms are fine and we will just paint ourselves.

My rough budget is 20k-30k to do the lot but maybe I’m dreaming so looking to see what others have paid and I know it’s hard to calculate not seeing the house or rooms and I’d say bathrooms were of a medium size or the size of a small bedroom I’d that helps. Just interested in what others have paid for wet rooms and under floor heating and laminate floors please.

also any with photos of wet rooms you wish to share please do so as we’re looking for ideas. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the subfloor in the house? Suspended timber or concrete ?

Are you sure about having the downstairs bathroom without any sort of shower tray? Even something very flush which doesn't stick out would be a good idea, as I imagine it'll be slippy as with normal tiling and I'd be concerned with water seeping through grouting at some point in the next 4-5+ years after its finished. Ps I'd say go underfloor heating for the bathrooms btw, probably electric if it's say under 6m2.its nice having warm tiles to walk on.

OcUK Staff
OP
What's the subfloor in the house? Suspended timber or concrete ?

Are you sure about having the downstairs bathroom without any sort of shower tray? Even something very flush which doesn't stick out would be a good idea, as I imagine it'll be slippy as with normal tiling and I'd be concerned with water seeping through grouting at some point in the next 4-5+ years after its finished. Ps I'd say go underfloor heating for the bathrooms btw, probably electric if it's say under 6m2.its nice having warm tiles to walk on.

Good points and will be discussing in more details and yeah will definitely put under floor heating in bathroom.

Soldato
For flooring, how long is a piece of string? There are a range of options and each option can vary in price widely. You mentioned laminate but that’s often a used to describe all pretty much everything. Do you mean:
Engineered wood flooring (made from multiple pieces of real wood, more stable than solid wood)
Real wood (one piece solid wood)
Laminate (Fibre board with laminate wood top)
Vinyl floor tiles (Kardeen etc)

All of the above will vary from £10/sqm to £50+/sqm plus levelling and fitting, it all depends on the quality/finish.

For underfloor heating I assume your looking at electric? It falls under part P if you install it in a bathroom. You will need a qualified electrician or building control to sign it off before it’s tiled over.

For the bathrooms it ultimately depends on the size, level of finish and how much prep is needed, that’s where all the labour is, especially for the wet room. I’d say you are looking at the upper end of your estimate for what you have listed, more if you want a really high quality finish.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
UFH will depend massively on your subfloor and what time of system you want Wet or electric, timber you can lift and suspend pipework and insulate underneath, concrete can be dug out and re-laid this is beneficial for older houses which may not have floor insulation or DPM or both systems can be laid over the top if your prepared to lose some height in the rooms.

Back
Top Bottom