Dead 8Tb Barracuda ?

Associate
Hello there folks,
I've just got a 8TB BARRACUDA 5400RPM 256MB CACHE INTERNAL HARD DRIVE (ST8000DM004) earlier this month and only just had a chance to connect it up.

Right now I'm connecting VIA a USB caddy to my USB3.0 port but i can't access the HD or format it.

Just comes up as a device on Windows10 pro but double click on icon its asking me to "insert disk into USB drive D:"

I've never had a problem with HD's before just basically plug in and go but this is the first time I've had one of this size.

PC is about a year old (i9, 2080Ti, 32Gb, Win10Pro) which i bought the parts for from OC.

Associate
OP
Have looked at the drive under disk management?

Ah i think its alive, did a quick format and copying files over to test and seems to be working. In the past (brand new HDs) I've just plugged in and it seemed to be already formatted as it just came up.

I'm new to windows 10 so didn't know i had to go though disk management to get it to be recognised (first time using it on win10 pro)

Thanks for that, nearly had heart attack when nothing came up.

owe you a beer :D

Soldato
It's normal for a new internal drive to be completely blank (zero partitions).

Having to use disk management (or the equivalent) to partition the drive before use has been required for as long as I can remember (and I was using PCs before Windows 3.x).

Back
Top Bottom