*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Associate
I've just cancelled sky after 14 years.
Getting same package on virgin with better fibre speed (56mb to 200) and thirty quid less.
Apparently I was classed as a VIP customer with price hiking and service anything but VIP!
Good riddance.

Soldato
Getting same package on virgin with better fibre speed (56mb to 200) and thirty quid less.
Apparently I was classed as a VIP customer with price hiking and service anything but VIP!
Good riddance.
I think everyone is 'VIP' with Sky, it's totally meaningless. I get 'offers' every month which I can't really see how I'm getting any benefit.

This lack of Sports will really hurt Sky IMO. I certainly won't be renewing Sports once the pause ends, it's just so, so expensive. The only reason I'm keeping Sky is for the kids/Cinema during Lockdown.

Soldato
To those that have cancelled Sky recently how did you contact them?

If I call them I am emphatically told that I am not eligible to continue the call. If I try and email them the email facility tells me I cannot proceed and I need to contact them via another method. If I use the chat facility it errors after waiting an hour to chat to someone.

Are other people just ignoring the prerequisites and persisting via telephone?
I just phoned. when I went to my account it had all this guff about only wanting to look after critical/essential people, and it had alternative things like
chat - "not available now"
mail - "you can't do this for this action"
another I can't recall that also wasn't available, and the only option that did seem to be viable was to write to them. yeah, **** that ~ I foresaw missed mails, things dragging into another billing period etc etc. so I just called the number. got a recorded message saying it was for just vulnerable people, and a message that wait time were far higher than normal. then it rang twice and was picked up! just call the number from your account, the 0333 one or whatever it is, if anyone asks, but I doubt they will, just say there's an elderly relative in the household or something.

Soldato
Good riddance.
snap. I was a Diamond Level VIP and apparently eligible for al sorts of rewards - all of which involved giving Sky more money, apparently. it only seemed accessible via the phone app too, and every time I tried to use it, it just gave me an unavailable or error of some type.

Associate
Yes, with sky sports, bill was coming to 130 quid. Basically a second mortgage. Joke!
Fibre at the beginning was 76mb then 6 months on got 56mb max!
The final straw was lack of sport and fibre speed not great.
I`ve given the obligatory 31 days notice and virgin have offered 200mb broadband, a landline (my mother is old-fashioned!) and basic TV with two set up boxes, with asia TV thrown in (for the Mrs) for a grand total of 65 quid!
I`m also sick and tired of sky`s option 61 MER authentication meaning I can use any stock firmware and a generic ethernet DHCP setting.
Looking forward to tinkering with my Draytek router when the engineer arrives on Thur 14th (booked the day off :))

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds good!

My SkyQ fiber Speeds have always been close to 75mb down and in the last 3 weeks it’s dropped to 63mb down and really flaky

SkyQ minis are useless constantly dropping out even with boosters around my house, got some devolo powerlines and they still drop out, I’m done with sky really the service is shocking and not worth the money ..... going to call them and give them one last chance to fix the mini boxes

Associate
My sky q deal came to an end last month (£57 for multi room & all the channels) as usual I called to renew & see what desk I could get. With all their new package names & the most complicated packages to put together to match what I had , the new deal was £72. So declined & put in my notice to leave . Suddenly realised today that 4 weeks had passed & I had not done anything nor had sky called me. They just sent 1 text apologising that I was leaving & to call if I had more questions . So I called the number & 10 mins later now paying £55.50 with all channels & Netflix premium which I did not have ( that was just £4 & seemed a bargain to me ). So a new 18 mth contract & I am quite a happy man with sky today . Shame I had to leave again, but worth it I suppose.

Soldato
i refuse anything like that on principle. if they could do that sort of a deal it means they could have done that for you all this time and were just ripping you off. always puzzles me why people grab someting like that w/ a smile and don't realise they're handing over more hard-earned to people who have been sticking it to them for the past xx months.

Soldato
I mentioned a couple of months ago I was potentially looking to move away from Sky - was actually looking at BT TV. However, Corvid-19 kicked in, I couldn't risk changing ISP for broadband, so I negotiated what I thought was a fair deal with Sky.
Fast forward 6 weeks, the adviser I spoke with in April did something wrong, none of my deal was actually put on the system and get another £100 bill was generated - queue angry phone call.

So, after much conversation I'm now on:

Sky Superfast Broadband
Sky Q (With Experience / Multiroom)
HD & UHD
Netflix Premium
So basically everything except Moves/Sports
£60/month

I've been re-contracted into Broadband for 18 months, however that has been entered at £17/month, so happy with that.
The changes to the TV have not prompted a re-contract, so I'm paying the above, but can change/cancel TV when I like.
I also got £50 credit added to my account - but that was mainly to cover the additional £100 bill I received when the Sky person "forgot?" to enter my new deal on the system.

Soldato
I mentioned a couple of months ago I was potentially looking to move away from Sky - was actually looking at BT TV. However, Corvid-19 kicked in, I couldn't risk changing ISP for broadband, so I negotiated what I thought was a fair deal with Sky.
Fast forward 6 weeks, the adviser I spoke with in April did something wrong, none of my deal was actually put on the system and get another £100 bill was generated - queue angry phone call.

So, after much conversation I'm now on:

Sky Superfast Broadband
Sky Q (With Experience / Multiroom)
HD & UHD
Netflix Premium
So basically everything except Moves/Sports
£60/month

I've been re-contracted into Broadband for 18 months, however that has been entered at £17/month, so happy with that.
The changes to the TV have not prompted a re-contract, so I'm paying the above, but can change/cancel TV when I like.
I also got £50 credit added to my account - but that was mainly to cover the additional £100 bill I received when the Sky person "forgot?" to enter my new deal on the system.

Mmmm, I might try for the same deal.

edit: Cheapest Sky offered me for that package was £64.70

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
I'm out of contract now, have been since March but just let it sit with what's going on and all that. Sky Q 2TB with a Mini, TV only.

I'm gonna drop Cinema from my package I want to retain Sports, UHD, Box Sets etc but would like to make sure I get the Netflix Premium account.

Whilst I'd like an HDR compatible box I'm not that fussed. New Q box to one side, anyone got a feel for what sort of price I should be able to achieve for the above packages?

Ta.

Associate
I am in conversation right now trying to negotiate my package.

currently paying 107 for TV alone and that's too much seeing as others get quite a discount and I have been with them 15 years+

Current package is:

Sky TV + Movies + Sports
Ultra HD
2 x mini boxes

Be interesting to see what they offer as I am quite happy to cancel.

Soldato
ok that was quick.

negotiated my current package down to 72 quid.
Just for TV? That seems pricey. I thought Entertainment was like £25? Sports should be another £16-20 (once it's back on again) and Cinema I have for £8. Plus multiroom (£13?) I'd expect around £65 tops.

Soldato
Took a few phone calls but I managed to get mine to -

Signature - £19
HD - £2
Sports - £7
Sky Q Multiscreen - £9

I thought that was reasonable compared to retention offers I'd seen on here lately.

Back
Top Bottom