ASUS Prime X570-P chipset fan noise :(

Soldato
Looking for a bit of advice. I built a new AMD-based system in April and it has been great apart from one issue, an annoying 'ticking' or clicking type noise. To try to eliminate this I have changed the stock CPU cooler to a Cooler Master 212, changed case fans (I now have three Corsair ML series fans) and changed graphics card (!!).

To diagnose this further I have disconnected the fans, including the CPU cooler, one by one while the PC was on (graphics card fans weren't even turning). This leads to the inescapable conclusion that it's the chipset fan on the mobo making this awful noise.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to resolve this or will I have to RMA it? I'm obviously reluctant to RMA since I'll be without my new system, it will be inconvenient and lastly I would probably have to buy a new copy of Windows if I end up with a replacement board.

Any ideas? I'm so annoyed by this noise :(

N.B. I didn't buy this from OcUK as I wanted this particular board and it was out of stock at the time.

EDIT - Quick Google suggests they all make some noise so not sure if it's a "fault" as such.

EDIT 2 - A recording of the noise to give some indication. Taken from above the top of the case, side panels on https://vocaroo.com/73wZQaNdZwS

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That doesn't sound normal, it's really loud! Did you rule out the PSU and hard drive idle? When does the chipset fan turn on?

Soldato
OP
That doesn't sound normal, it's really loud! Did you rule out the PSU and hard drive idle? When does the chipset fan turn on?

It turns on immediately, very loud through bios but calms down at Windows log in. HW monitor is showing it’s constantly between 1800 and 2250 RPM.

PSU-wise I’ve got a Corsair RM850i which I believe the fan does not come on most of the time and two Corsair MP600 SSDs so no noise from them.

Man of Honour
It's weird, it sounds like it's catching on something, but I can't imagine there's any obstruction to the chipset fan.

Soldato
OP
It's weird, it sounds like it's catching on something, but I can't imagine there's any obstruction to the chipset fan.

Yeah, there's nothing obvious that is catching but the board is a stupid design as the chipset fan is directly underneath the graphics card and obstructed (hence the confusion about whether it was the card or not) so I can't imagine the fan is actually helping to keep the chipset cool.

FYI, HW Monitor is not reporting the chipset / mobo as being particularly hot - highest while I've had it on for the past 2.5 hours is 31c and that's including 30 - 45 mins playing RDR2.

Do you think I should just contact the place I bought it from? There isn't a BIOS update available beyond the version already installed and you can't control the chipset fan in BIOS either.

Man of Honour
Do you think I should just contact the place I bought it from? There isn't a BIOS update available beyond the version already installed and you can't control the chipset fan in BIOS either.
I wouldn't want to recommend anything just based on the sound file, I have no idea what it is or where it's coming from.

Soldato
OP
This is the very board I hope to purchase when funds materialise.

I am hoping it is easily remedied so keep us posted on the outcome please.

Thanks.

I’d seriously reconsider if there’s another board you like. It performs well enough but that noise drove me nuts.

It’s gone back today via RMA for the supplier to see if they consider it faulty so I’ll update in due course.

Associate
You have put my choice in doubt, I was considering the Gigabyte Aorus X570 ELITE, but it is more money :(

I hope they do find the board to be faulty and you get a quieter replacement.

Soldato
OP
Just an update in case anyone reads this. The supplier (not OcUK) tested my board and agreed it is faulty.

There are positive reviews for this board out there so perhaps I was unlucky.

Unfortunately for me I waited too long to send this back so am expecting a replacement rather than refund. Plus there is no stock of this board anyway. May chase later in the week and hopefully get refund or credit.

Luckily I’ve still got my previous Skylake system on hand so can use that in the meantime.

Associate
Good to hear they acknowledge the issue with the motherboard, that should mean the chipset fan will be quieter :)

The fan noise alone shouldnt be reason for a refund, is it really bad in other area's also?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Good to hear they acknowledge the issue with the motherboard, that should mean the chipset fan will be quieter :)

The fan noise alone shouldnt be reason for a refund, is it really bad in other area's also?

Thanks.

We'll see when the new one arrives. I think it warrants a refund if the board isn't fit for purpose or is flawed but under UK consumer law if over 30 days have passed you have to give the retailer a chance to refund or repair the item.

Associate
As you said the general feedback is positive for this board so the replacement should resolve the issue, cross my fingers for you.

I'm waiting for pay day to come round before ordering anything, I'm split between the Asus prime x570 p, Gigabyte Aorus X570 AORUS ELITE & ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus.

Soldato
OP
Well, my replacement board arrived and it seems like it’s ok. The chipset fan doesn’t even come on at POST like the previous one did and when it does start it’s at about half the RPM of the old board.

Hopefully it will stay this way, it’s a lot quieter now. I still think ASUS have been a bit lazy in not adding control of this fan into BIOS. My mobo temps are only ~30c so no fan needed really.

Here’s the board in my system:

private picture upload

Associate
Glad the replacement resolved your issue.

It looks the part in your system and follows the colour scheme well :)

I managed to find a deal on the Asus tuf x570 plus, should be getting next week, looking forward to getting it all built now.

Associate
Mine has been inaudible from day 1 also, sounds like you just had a faulty fan 1st time round. More good news : this is one of the best performing boards for VRM, beating everything at it's price point & some Asus boards at twice the price.

Back
Top Bottom