AMD launches B550 motherboards

Soldato
There are some good prices around saw the MSI B550 Tomahawk for £165, MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi at £185, Asus Strix B550-E gaming for £257, prices for B550 are all over the place ie no standard pricing, hope prices settle soon.

Anyway still a lot of sites don't have stock of the high end Gigabyte and Asrock models.

Soldato
X570 has wifi, the B550 doesn't - that may or may not justify the £40 price difference by itself.

I did see the MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WIFI for £201, not a bad price. As I stated in my previous post, prices are all over the place so looking around may pay off.

Associate
Managed to pick up a B550M Mortar as seemed to do well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8d4C80Ub_o as I needed a MATX board and the only X570 offering is pretty rubbish and wanted something that can handle a faster CPU down the line (currently just a OC'd 3600).

Perfect timing too as board its replacing its replacing has to be returned by end of next week for a refund after the onboard sound being faulty, I was close to getting a X570 Tomahawk but glad I saved my money as would have meant having to splash some extra cash on a new case too.

Soldato
That date means that MSI aren't giving them any launch stock, that's not a good sign.

I agree , MSI probably can't supply every company on day one, it's a well known site that has been going for decades, guess it's good if you in no rush and can wait a few weeks, also that date is expected pre-order date so could be later or sooner.

Associate
Pre-order item for July 3rd.

There are a lot of models not showing up at quite a few sites, must be short supply, delay etc .

Even we didn't have the full pricing for B550 models back then. Our MSRP (inc. VAT) for the following models are;

B550 Tomahawk - £179.99
B550 Gaming Edge Wifi - £194.99
B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi - £214.99

Associate
Asus promotion -Asus ROG Strix B550-F + 3700x = £75 cashback total. Ends up being £445.48 with OCUK. Not bad at all. £135 for a B550 then.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
yeah the Asus Cashback promo is worth a look if you are looking for a full upgrade rather than just buying a board. It's only around for a month though.

We're also running a MSI Steam voucher promotion too.

Associate
yeah the Asus Cashback promo is worth a look if you are looking for a full upgrade rather than just buying a board. It's only around for a month though.

We're also running a MSI Steam voucher promotion too.

Where abouts on the site are details about those promotions?

Associate
Thanks for the updates.

Personally, I'm totally torn between the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I or the MSI MPG B550i GAMING EDGE WIFI mini ITX boards. Both have active coolers in different places for different reasons, although I know the MSI one can be turned off in the bios, having active cooling on the M2 seems logical given Gen 4 temps and the cooler on the Asus seems... a little simpler and lighter (seems to be same as x570 M2 cooler). Availability will probably be a factor, as my current mobo has died. Disappointed to hear they might not be available until July :(

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Thanks for the updates.

Personally, I'm totally torn between the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I or the MSI MPG B550i GAMING EDGE WIFI mini ITX boards. Both have active coolers in different places for different reasons, although I know the MSI one can be turned off in the bios, having active cooling on the M2 seems logical given Gen 4 temps and the cooler on the Asus seems... a little simpler and lighter (seems to be same as x570 M2 cooler). Availability will probably be a factor, as my current mobo has died. Disappointed to hear they might not be available until July :(
Most of the pre-sales so far have been on ITX. The thing is, that format is pretty much always a couple of weeks late every single time a new platform launches. I guess that it's still seen as a niche product.

Associate
Yeah, there is always a cost to pay with ITX :D It's a tight squeeze with the larger graphics cards too, but it's soooo awesome when everything fits in the tiny case. I will be patient and see what the MSI offer is an put a pre-order in on that one, as sadly I already bought my processor re. Asus cash back.

Caporegime
will just wait until the real cpus we after are known to launch. prices will come down as people wont buy them at current prices or...enough people buy them. a £100 board costing £180 isnt going to sell well regardless of offers put on. people arent daft. well majority arent. also why buy a 550 over current £100 boards that can do the same with the current cpus you will be putting them in ? no point yet. just wait prices go down then we get the new cpus to put in them at the correct prices we want to pay.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Yeah, there is always a cost to pay with ITX :D It's a tight squeeze with the larger graphics cards too, but it's soooo awesome when everything fits in the tiny case. I will be patient and see what the MSI offer is an put a pre-order in on that one, as sadly I already bought my processor re. Asus cash back.
ah, in that case you'll be out of luck since the MSI promo works in the same way. It's reliant on the combination purchase.

Soldato
Isn't the b550 meant to be 'cheaper' than the x570? I thought it was an inferior chipset or such? what is with the crazy prices? Aorus one for £300? why would you buy these over an x570, did I get it backwards and the b550 is the top chipset?

Back
Top Bottom