• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I don't know about Xbox dashboard but it certainly makes a huge difference in Windows desktop and in smartphones for me and many others.

That's not how it works. Input lag of every device in the chain adds up so it's controller input lag + console/game engine + display.

My LG Oled from 2016 doesn't support black frame insertion but in those TVs that do can they even use it in game mode.? Doesn't that increase input lag as it is additional processing.?

personally I don't like BFI. Yes it adds extra input lag and even worse, it makes the screen half as bright

Soldato
Must be a whole lot of people who like white & black cause this is the now the most popular playstation video ever and has the most likes ever on a playstation video

That's my worry, hmm might be worth waiting for more info.

If it helps, with the PS4 PRO if you connect a 1440p screen the console will just output 1080p because 1440p isn't supported. I would assume the PS5 does the same and only supports TV resolutions.

Associate
It's quite insane how popular the Playstation brand is compared to its competition, I just checked the Xbox reveal number on YouTube and it's sitting at 12M views after 6 months. Playstation after 4 days is at 23M.
The pull that the Playstation brand has worldwide just dwarfs the Xbox.

The only thing I'm concerned about is their cooling solution, I've read a lot of stuff about some sort of sandwiched design. There were even some patents showcasing how such thing would work. A vapor chamber of sorts sandwiched between the PCB.
Cerny talked about a good cooling solution and the European head doubled down on that in a recent interview, hope we get that teardown soon.

Soldato
It's quite insane how popular the Playstation brand is compared to its competition, I just checked the Xbox reveal number on YouTube and it's sitting at 12M views after 6 months. Playstation after 4 days is at 23M.

The only thing I'm concerned about is their cooling solution, I've read a lot of stuff about some sort of sandwiched design. There were even some patents showcasing how such thing would work. A vapor chamber of sorts sandwiched between the PCB.
Cerny talked about a good cooling solution and the European head doubled down on that in a recent interview, hope we get that teardown soon.

Yeah, be good to see how they have done it.

Think they really do have an eye on the cooling due to all the fan noise issues from ps4. What ever they do it's likely we will need to keep those vents clear and it's gonna be kicking out some heat.

Associate
so whats a good tv/monitor for someone who plays from a desk that would be suitable for the ps5 ?
as i already have a dell s2716dg monitor for my gaming pc so another purchase would probably be only for the ps5.

Associate
I think it looks smart. However, I'll certainly purchase an all-black model if they provide one. Still, day one purchase, particularly if Demon's Souls ends up being a launch title.

Soldato
I read somewhere (can’t remember where now) that the white “fins” on the console might be exchangeable, like custom covers you used to be able to get for the 360. This might not be true though, it’s just speculation

Associate
I want to see that teardown, I wonder if the black part of the console is just one piece and the white panels are bolt ons.
The controller also seems like something you change the look off, maybe with face plates..?

Soldato
I actually thought this was quite obvious given the sales of the Ps4 vs the xbox (double) and then the attachment rate which seems to be 50% higher in PS case (nearly 10 compared to just under 7)….according to google anyway.

Now that the internal hardware is very similar it will be interesting to see in a year or two after release if this changes significantly in Xbox's favour (don't get me wrong selling ~50m consoles is a decent enough size as it is, even without considering the enormous amount of software they sell as well) , but am sure MS would prefer to give Sony a bloody nose in this generation.

Soldato
Think I’m gonna go for the driveless console if it’s a little cheaper. I don’t think I’ve ever used the drive in my PS4.

Im also hoping, that with this new drive-less console that maybe the price of digital games will be reduced ever so slightly. Obviously not so much that it makes buying discs pointless, but enough of a reduction to actually get people to want to buy into digital, and the no-drive console.

Edit. I’m pretty much totally digital now anyway. The less clutter in my house the better. (Apart from a few collector editions which I haven’t opened, like the fallout mini nuke etc)

Back
Top Bottom