When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I went EV last Thursday...no looking back!

BMW F80 M3 switched to a Tesla Model 3 Performance (absolutely epic).

A huge number of people on here who have never been in a Tesla won't understand your 'epic' comment, especially when they see you coming from a superior 'drivers' car. Then there's the others... we don't talk about them :p

Soldato
£5k might get you in a beat up 2012 Leaf. It'll do maybe 50 miles on a good day :p For 200 miles range, the cheapest is likely to be a 2020 Zoe for about £20k.

There aren't many "cheap" EV models that can do 200 miles.

A 41kw Zoe will do 200 miles. Around town at 30mph :p.

At anything approaching motorway speeds then no chance (most I've gotten out of mine was 170 at ~50 mph for most of it).

Soldato
Yes but its not on the used market nor will it consistently do 200 miles but it is close.

Other than a Tesla for a 200 mile car your only options are 60kWh Leaf, Kona, Nero or Soul. Of these cars, only the Leaf (which I wouldn't recommend) is readily available, and none are really available on the used market.

Soldato
I'll go electric when the prices come down. My current car cost me £1,200 second hand and it's flown through 3 MOT's without any issues so far. Why pay more? I dont like to have too much money tied up in depreciating assests such as expensive vehicles.

Soldato
A huge number of people on here who have never been in a Tesla won't understand your 'epic' comment, especially when they see you coming from a superior 'drivers' car. Then there's the others... we don't talk about them :p

I think it is fair to say as a car the M3 was miles ahead. The way it was put together, the attention to detail inside and out cannot be compared to a Tesla. But one has to remember that the BMW is designed to be a car firstly and foremostly. The Tesla (software company!) on the other hand is seriously lacking in quality, paint overspray on the drivers side doors like you have never seen, uneven panel gaps, not the highest quality interior plastics etc. But then you have the tech, autopilot, the instant overtaking ability, the quiet in the cabin, incredible!

And then the party piece, 0-60 in 3.2s. 4WD with track mode, so 100% FWD or RWD if you want it. Such a low centre of gravity. Yes it will only do 319 miles (stated, probably closer to 250 realistic miles) on a charge, but with a fixed commute that is a non issue (54 mile return journey). It also now costs me 1/4 of what is used to in V-power (and that is on an expensive electricity tariff!).

Overall as a means of getting from one place to another it is like I've moved in to the 21st century. Everything else just feels slow, sluggish and meh...including the M3 :D

Soldato
I'm sure Tome Cruise would describe his epiphany with scientology as 'epic'

If it’s high your car can pay for itself
OK we've done this dance before, a few ev's (past tense) had appreciated, but even with that, outside of company car BIK funded, no one can provided budgetary breakdown of how that will come in cheaper per mile, all in, versus a few years old diesel, for high mileage - break-even/singularity isn't here yet.

Soldato
OK we've done this dance before, a few ev's (past tense) had appreciated, but even with that, outside of company car BIK funded, no one can provided budgetary breakdown of how that will come in cheaper per mile, all in, versus a few years old diesel, for high mileage - break-even/singularity isn't here yet.

Once my car has sold, I'll know for sure what depreciation was. But I'm expecting less than 5p per mile, based on current sale prices. Overnight electricity on Octopus Go is 5p per kWh. My app says my average efficiency is 3.6 miles per kilowatt hour. So fuel cost is 1.38p per mile. I've spent about £240 on public charging. So 7.38p for fuel and depreciation?

The idea that the car could "pay for itself" is a bit of a stretch though. A £7,500 used Leaf would need to complete around 90,000 miles to save £7,500 on fuel vs an efficient diesel (more at current fuel prices) :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure Tome Cruise would describe his epiphany with scientology as 'epic'

Ah sorry in my instance I was comparing a privately owned powerful petrol with a Model 3 as a company car.

It just about worked out in my situation. I've compared petrol rather than diesel as frankly I'd never own a diesel and I wouldn't even compare the EV and a Diesel.

Very briefly based on my 20k a year.

If you budget £2000 a year depreciation on an older BMW/Merc/Lexus going from 3 to 6 years old + £500 road tax + 23p per mile of fuel + £600 in repairs/warranty and £150 servicing a year (excl tyres) = £7800 a year.
My model 3 SR costs £538 a month + 800 in electricity a year + £1000 excess mileage from 10k to 20k = £8256. It's an additional £400 to drive a brand new car.

Company directors/owners will make it even easier to work due to 0% BIK.

Essentially your variable costs with an ICE (Fuel) get replaced with fixed costs (depreciation/lease payments)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it is fair to say as a car the M3 was miles ahead. The way it was put together, the attention to detail inside and out cannot be compared to a Tesla. But one has to remember that the BMW is designed to be a car firstly and foremostly. The Tesla (software company!) on the other hand is seriously lacking in quality, paint overspray on the drivers side doors like you have never seen, uneven panel gaps, not the highest quality interior plastics etc. But then you have the tech, autopilot, the instant overtaking ability, the quiet in the cabin, incredible!

And then the party piece, 0-60 in 3.2s. 4WD with track mode, so 100% FWD or RWD if you want it. Such a low centre of gravity. Yes it will only do 319 miles (stated, probably closer to 250 realistic miles) on a charge, but with a fixed commute that is a non issue (54 mile return journey). It also now costs me 1/4 of what is used to in V-power (and that is on an expensive electricity tariff!).

Overall as a means of getting from one place to another it is like I've moved in to the 21st century. Everything else just feels slow, sluggish and meh...including the M3 :D

This, I have owned many M cars and other performance cars and after 10 years of owning them I didn't fancy buying another as its more of the same usually.
The EV feels like a dramatic step in a new direction.

Soldato
Yes but its not on the used market nor will it consistently do 200 miles but it is close.

Where used Zoe ZE50s pop up, they're priced higher than new. So quite redundant to the point.

As for the range, I'll concede that one. I thought it was a 52kWh battery, meaning 3.84 miles per kWh needed. But it's not. Renault have joined Nissan in falsely advertising the capacities. I haven't kept up with Zoe news since it's now way too small for me (can barely fit the car seat and pram in the Leaf).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ah sorry in my instance I was comparing a privately owned powerful petrol with a Model 3 as a company car.

It just about worked out in my situation. I've compared petrol rather than diesel as frankly I'd never own a diesel and I wouldn't even compare the EV and a Diesel.

Very briefly based on my 20k a year.

If you budget £2000 a year depreciation on an older BMW/Merc/Lexus going from 3 to 6 years old + £500 road tax + 23p per mile of fuel + £600 in repairs/warranty and £150 servicing a year (excl tyres) = £7800 a year.
My model 3 SR costs £538 a month + 800 in electricity a year + £1000 excess mileage from 10k to 20k = £8256. It's an additional £400 to drive a brand new car.

Company directors/owners will make it even easier to work due to 0% BIK.

Essentially your variable costs with an ICE (Fuel) get replaced with fixed costs (depreciation/lease payments)

Why wouldn't compare an EV to a diesel?

A diesel doing 20k miles a year will be around half your quoted fuel cost which changes the calculation somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom