AMD launches B550 motherboards

Associate
Why was it a blanket move when the max motherboards have 32mb chips?

As detailed in the Anandtech article:

'Most AMD motherboards are outfitted with 128 megabit (16 megabyte) BIOS chips. The reason why this is the case is due to a limitation on some of AMD’s early AM4 processors – due to design, they can only ever address the first 16 megabytes of a BIOS chip.'

Associate

Thank you, good read.

Unfortunately, future decision on support for Ryzen generations is still a bit of unknown:
"There might be a situation where moving up to the beta BIOS fork will make the system unable to downgrade. It might end up being a one-way solution. It might even be a hard changeover – with the mainline supporting 3000 and below, and the fork 4000 and up."

I have all the parts for a new build, including Asus Rog Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX. At the moment I am more inclined to Ebay it and preorder B550 version.
If only I knew, how long till Asus Rog Strix B550-I Gaming Mini ITX will be in stock? OcUK Rep, any news?

Soldato
As detailed in the Anandtech article:

'Most AMD motherboards are outfitted with 128 megabit (16 megabyte) BIOS chips. The reason why this is the case is due to a limitation on some of AMD’s early AM4 processors – due to design, they can only ever address the first 16 megabytes of a BIOS chip.'
OK. Now try and answer my question :p

Caporegime
Why was it a blanket move when the max motherboards have 32mb chips?
Because the amount of 32MB chips are far outnumbered by the 16MB chips so it's all of a question if a company wants to put resources into satisfying that minority as opposed to taking the easiest general route.

Soldato
Because the amount of 32MB chips are far outnumbered by the 16MB chips so it's all of a question if a company wants to put resources into satisfying that minority as opposed to taking the easiest general route.
I think they saw the $$$ from making all x400 owners upgrade, and tried it on. B450 tomahawk was priced around £90, now price is double for the b550 tomahawk.....$$$

Same can be seen in the XT pricing, and will have fun when the 4000 prices come

Caporegime
I think they saw the $$$ from making all x400 owners upgrade, and tried it on. B450 tomahawk was priced around £90, now price is double for the b500 tomahawk.....$$$
I think that a major part of the decision was a technical one (based on what they saw as the easiest path) as it does cause headaches for both AMD and motherboard manufacturers in making older boards compatible with BIOS updates.

Hoever, they said they would support the boards through 2020 so in the end they they needed to do the right thing in the face of justified criticism.

Soldato
I think that a major part of the decision was a technical one (based on what they saw as the easiest path) as it does cause headaches for both AMD and motherboard manufacturers in making older boards compatible with BIOS updates.

Hoever, they said they would support the boards through 2020 so in the end they they needed to do the right thing in the face of justified criticism.
As a resident of Utopia I can understand your view, and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Here in Hell, I'm still sure the beancounters saw the $$$ tho :)

Caporegime
As a resident of Utopia I can understand your view, and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Here in Hell, I'm still sure the beancounters saw the $$$ tho :)
It will have been influenced by both factors, but there were definitely legitimate technical challenges so I am not so quick to label this one as having purely financial motives.

Soldato
Anyone spotted a board yet that does gen4 x8 on two mechanical x16 slots in MATX? (that's not a million pounds!)

Ta
I know I'm quoting myself - but in case someone else wants the same info:

Boards with x8 x8 support appear to be:

ASRock B550 Taichi ATX $300
GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Master ATX $280
GIGABYTE B550 Vision D ATX $260

So no MATX option for now at least

Associate
Got my MSI B550M Mortar today first impressions are no great with the amount of faff so far, this was replacing a Asrock B450m Pro 4 which had a dodgy onboard sound from day 1 which was getting RMA'd but was otherwise great for the money.

Issues so far:
I have 2 x M.2 drives (1 x NVME and 1 x SATA) from my previous board and the SATA m.2 drive was just not being recognised in the bios at all (1 slot accepts sata or pcei based m.2 drives and the other is pcei only). Loads of reboots and re-seats etc and it was eventually solved by flashing a newer version of the BIOS that was available on the MSI site, so all ok now just annoying and I guess the early adopter issues.

Also struggling currently getting my CPU stable with the same volatges/speed etc as I had it before, but I guess vdroop etc all behave differently across different boards so really hard to to have exactly the same settings as before, so just some trial and error needed I reckon.

Caporegime
Got my MSI B550M Mortar today first impressions are no great with the amount of faff so far, this was replacing a Asrock B450m Pro 4 which had a dodgy onboard sound from day 1 which was getting RMA'd but was otherwise great for the money.

Issues so far:
I have 2 x M.2 drives (1 x NVME and 1 x SATA) from my previous board and the SATA m.2 drive was just not being recognised in the bios at all (1 slot accepts sata or pcei based m.2 drives and the other is pcei only). Loads of reboots and re-seats etc and it was eventually solved by flashing a newer version of the BIOS that was available on the MSI site, so all ok now just annoying and I guess the early adopter issues.

Also struggling currently getting my CPU stable with the same volatges/speed etc as I had it before, but I guess vdroop etc all behave differently across different boards so really hard to to have exactly the same settings as before, so just some trial and error needed I reckon.
Yeah, every moboi has its own quirks!

Soldato
Is there any point in new "premium" B450 boards now that B550 is released?

It looks like there is a MAX version of the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi due out soonish, but is a top end B450 "better" than a mid range B550? Surely if you're in the market for a high end board like that then you'd be more interested in the B550 chipset and willing to spend a bit more on something like the B550 Tomahawk (unless you really want the onboard wifi)? Seems like MSI have dropped the ball a bit with this one, unless I'm missing something?

Soldato

Issues so far:

Happened to me with an old MSI VIA Chipset board, I could not get my standard Crucial ram stable while gaming, MSI new BIOS fixed it and it was like out within a day or two, nowadays the first thing I do with a new board regardless of brand is flash to the latest BIOS and take it from there before OS is installed.

I also keep the motherboard CD drivers/ultilities in the box and download latest ones from my other PC so ready for install on my new build etc...
Great thing about MSI, Asus, Asrock etc is they have frequent BIOS updates when issues are found so good support, hard to have a perfect BIOS with hundreds of different hardware configs out there with new boards/chipsets etc...

You want things simple get a console ;) .

Soldato
Is there any point in new "premium" B450 boards now that B550 is released?

It looks like there is a MAX version of the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi due out soonish, but is a top end B450 "better" than a mid range B550? Surely if you're in the market for a high end board like that then you'd be more interested in the B550 chipset and willing to spend a bit more on something like the B550 Tomahawk (unless you really want the onboard wifi)? Seems like MSI have dropped the ball a bit with this one, unless I'm missing something?

I would go B550, has new features that are not on the B450 and you know 100% it will take the next gen Ryzen down the road,yes I know the new MSI Max B450 will support it but very few B450s will officially, as to Wifi, you know there are plenty of good B550 boards with Wifi built-in.

Side Note: funny how MSI dropped the ball on B550 with onboard sound, they all have ALC1200 or lower unlike other brands that do have a few models with ALC1220 onboard sound listed, just look at Gigabyte,Asus,Asrock etc...

Last edited:
Associate
Is there much difference between the 1200 (as used on my x570 toma) and the 1220?

I know to avoid the alc887, but I thought all the 1xxx stuff was pretty good as far as on-board audio goes...

Back
Top Bottom