Preparing new build soil for planting

Soldato
I'm planning out my garden in a new build and have started by ripping up around 22sqm of turf to prepare the border. Like any new build the soil is full of rubble and is rock solid and I need to double dig it with manure to get it in a condition where plants will last.

Do you guys think I would be able to double dig the space with a folk and spade or would it be worth renting a tiller or cultivator to save a lot of time and effort?

Soldato
Fork is always best, don't go at it too fast or you will burn out or hurt yourself before getting 1/8 of the way through.

Horse manure is good but brings with it it's own issues, you will get lots of weeds because of the manure, it's just because of the diet of the horse and the fact seeds don't break down in the stomach/gut.

If you can get hold of some well rotted compost and a deep tiller rotavator spend time removing stones and debris you might find.

Check what your drainage is like as now is the time to install a soakaway as deep as you can.

Soldato
OP
Depends on how fit you are and how much time you're willing to spend.

I've got five full days to play with to sort out the soil and plant everything. Considering it took me 4 hours to rip up 11sqm of turf, I feel like this might take a while. Fairly fit bloke but doing it all myself.

If you can get hold of some well rotted compost and a deep tiller rotavator spend time removing stones and debris you might find.

Check what your drainage is like as now is the time to install a soakaway as deep as you can.

Great tip on the compost, thanks. I've got a rake, a folk and a shape with the idea being I remove anything decent sized from the ground. I've only took the turf up and already have a lovely little rock collection. The garden is sloped so haven't seen any water logging with the turf so far. Hopefully I can do without the soakaway as that will only mean digging even deeper :(

Soldato
Are you keeping any of the grass? If possible take it up in strip roll it grass side in and it will keep for weeks with a sprinkle of water.

Back
Top Bottom