E10 or 10% Ethanol unleaded fuel is due to be rolled out in 2021 but not all cars can run it

Associate
Why do they insist on putting this rubbish in our fuel?

It plays havoc with garden machinery, you get less mpg, swathes of farmland are used to grow it, rainforests chopped down to produce extra farmland, it absorbs water so can’t be sorted for very long, takes copious amounts of energy and herbicides to grow, harvest, mill and transport it and increases food prices, just so the crap that comes out ours exhausts is slightly cleaner.

Bob can say his carbon footprints slightly smaller, while Mary's over the pond is choking on her's but swimming in money.

The Americas only encourage and promote it as it keeps its farmers rich.

Soldato
Why do they insist on putting this rubbish in our fuel?

It plays havoc with garden machinery, you get less mpg, swathes of farmland are used to grow it, rainforests chopped down to produce extra farmland, it absorbs water so can’t be sorted for very long, takes copious amounts of energy and herbicides to grow, harvest, mill and transport it and increases food prices, just so the crap that comes out ours exhausts is slightly cleaner.

Bob can say his carbon footprints slightly smaller, while Mary's over the pond is choking on her's but swimming in money.

The Americas only encourage and promote it as it keeps its farmers rich.

Because EU. They keep doing this stuff but often the down sides are just as bad. Biofuel needs land which would be used for food and wildlife. It breaks machinery so more parts have to be manufactured. Its no better for the environment in the end, but it looks greener on paper.

Soldato
Because EU. They keep doing this stuff but often the down sides are just as bad. Biofuel needs land which would be used for food and wildlife. It breaks machinery so more parts have to be manufactured. Its no better for the environment in the end, but it looks greener on paper.

I think your missing the point that biofuels are renewable. Crops can grow back every season (to a reasonable degree). Fossil fuels take millions of years to form.

Soldato
E10 has been here for a long time, really isn't an issue.

I've been running straight E85 for 6 months without any problems too, the additional timing it allows just means the car is now a beast!

Soldato
E10 has been here for a long time, really isn't an issue.

I've been running straight E85 for 6 months without any problems too, the additional timing it allows just means the car is now a beast!

Runs cooler too right? Wish we had it at the pumps here. Hassle of having to buy and store barrels of the stuff means it's awkward to use. It'd make the expense of upgrading fuel system and mapping to suit a bit more justifiable.

Soldato
Runs cooler too right? Wish we had it at the pumps here. Hassle of having to buy and store barrels of the stuff means it's awkward to use. It'd make the expense of upgrading fuel system and mapping to suit a bit more justifiable.
Very much so. Smells nice too! :D
I'm lucky to get 200 miles from a tank though, luckily I have 2 E85 stations close by.

Soldato
Very much so. Smells nice too! :D
I'm lucky to get 200 miles from a tank though, luckily I have 2 E85 stations close by.

Another tick in the box :D though I quite like the smell of regular petrol too tbh...

It is also less economical.

Running cooler with more power is more important to me than economy but yes, I know you need to flow more to produce the same amount of power vs normal petrol (can't remember the exact science - less energy density?) so in that sense it's probably another reason to have it more readily available on pump...

Man of Honour
Another tick in the box :D though I quite like the smell of regular petrol too tbh...

Running cooler with more power is more important to me than economy but yes, I know you need to flow more to produce the same amount of power vs normal petrol (can't remember the exact science - less energy density?) so in that sense it's probably another reason to have it more readily available on pump...

Ethanol has a lower stoichiometric ratio, you have to use more of it to consume a given amount of air during combustion.

For E85 you end with a 36% increase in fuel flow.

Ethanol does contain marginally less energy per gram, but that's offset by all of the other advantages like cooling and increase knock resistance

Back
Top Bottom