OCUK Prices

Soldato
Maybe this thread won't last long but I'm just curious.
In the past I've always purchased 99% of stuff from here but now I'm looking to build a new system in finding stuff a lot cheaper else where.

3800x for instance, £339 here £30 less elsewhere.
A case I'm looking at £10 cheaper.
It soon adds up when it's every part.

I'd happily and prefer to buy everything from here if it was the same price. When did this price gap start appearing?

Caporegime
It really depends on rebuy pricing and supply. All tech is bought in Dollars so other places may still have stock based on prices potentially 2-3 months ago depending on how many they bought and how many they've sold whereas OCUK might have re-stocked only a couple of weeks ago at higher prices from AMD. Or it could just be price gouging.

Soldato
OP
One single company cannot be the cheapest on everything.
As I get free next day delivery on most items I find OcUK to be the same 'all in' price as everywhere else.
They always used to be very competitive on pricing. Maybe a few pounds here or there but when you can save about £100 on a basket that's not a small difference.
I get free delivery everywhere im comparing to.

Associate
Overclockers has served me well so far
At one point they had a motherboard at £50 more expensive than competition
So i called up and talked with the sales guy
Talked him into reducing the price by £27
Overall i will pay a bit extra for the peace of mind
Vote with your wallet

Man of Honour
I've found prices all over some stuff is higher some stuff is lower than elsewhere. In some cases some of the lower priced places are a bit dubious and/or you will be waiting awhile before they can actually source the item in some cases at the advertised price :s

I've tended to buy elsewhere for a lot of stuff lately as I can get a discount through work at a couple of places.

Soldato
customer service is top drawer but then agin so is a lot of other places now. recent build saw me going elsehwere for a few components due to some substantial differences in price £1000 build and you find you can save over £100 by buying a few things elsewhere you'd be mad not to do so.

love this place to bits as its a great community and ocuk have always been great to deal with but £100 is £100

Soldato
OP
customer service is top drawer but then agin so is a lot of other places now. recent build saw me going elsehwere for a few components due to some substantial differences in price £1000 build and you find you can save over £100 by buying a few things elsewhere you'd be mad not to do so.

love this place to bits as its a great community and ocuk have always been great to deal with but £100 is £100
Exactly my thoughts.

Soldato
OCUK sometimes have very competitive prices as well as decent range of components you often can’t find from competitions.

what really kills me is the delivery charge, most competition offer free if order value is significant enough or free from start. I think the delivery charge on OCUK order scales up as you order more stuff.

it has been a long while since I ordered from OCUK tho as I often find I need a special item and OCUK has it but the delivery makes it that but more expensive meaning I am better off wait for a couple of weeks for the stock to come back else where or rely on my Prime if I need it next day.

Soldato
what really kills me is the delivery charge, most competition offer free if order value is significant enough or free from start. I think the delivery charge on OCUK order scales up as you order more stuff.

FREE SHIPPING - for loyal OcUK forum members only

WHO QUALIFIES

This offer applies to
  • OcUK Forums members who have 250 or more posts and have been registered for over 90 days, or
  • OcUK Forums members who have been registered for over 12 months and made at least 100 posts
This offer does NOT apply to
  • Banned or suspended members
  • Members who do not satisfy the qualification requirements above
TERMS & CONDITIONS
  • Internet orders only
  • Free shipping applies to destinations within mainland UK only and excludes Highlands and Islands
  • OcUK reserves the right to choose the method of shipping, which for the purpose of Free Shipping will be DPD Next Day or Royal Mail Standard Delivery
  • Members who openly spam to increase post count will have their post count reduced
  • OcUK reserves the right to withdraw this offer at their discretion at any time
  • Not applicable to certain special offers
HOW TO REGISTER
  • Login to the OcUK Website
  • Go to "My Account" and scroll down to the section marked "Link your forum account" and enter your forum username and password
  • Press "Link"
  • Order with free shipping
Thank you for shopping at OcUK :cool:

*UPDATE* - We have seen an increase of users sharing their forum accounts with other people to gain the free shipping, if this continues, your forum account will be banned. - fiveub

Up to a certain price you get free RM 2nd class postage.

Over a certain price you get free DPD next day delivery.

Soldato
They always used to be very competitive on pricing.

That isn't my experience. Over the last decade or so OCUK has always been 'a bit' more expensive. I used to be active a lot on another PC retailers forum and OCUK was often referred to as "overchargers".

But .... I have heard of plenty of good feedback on customer service.

I will say, mentioning no names, but the other place I was loyal to, I would not order from those ever again after certain things came out of the woodwork about perhaps not being 100% with HMRC . I'm also pretty certain they used to send out returns as new items.

I'm planning on a major PC upgrade next year I will more than likely use OCUK, I have purchased a system once years ago and a few bits here and there, I have always held OCUK in good regard.

I think where OCUK will be loosing out to is Amazon. Not so much system builds, big orders or the more nieche stuff, but say I wanted just a pretty regular SSD, it'll be cheaper and it'll turn up the next day from there.

Infact I did exactly that about a year ago, maybe I should have contacted OCUK to see if they would price match but they don't advertise they do that, well not obviously.

Associate
Generally found OCUK to be the same price for big components, but smaller things like fans,CPU mounting kits, compressed air are cheaper elsewhere. Worth buying from OCUK for the free haribo you get, always look forward to recieving my OCUK parcels because of it.

Soldato
The place is more expensive for sure.

Although my current build all came from here other than the extra m.2.

Amazon I could have saved £30 on the mobo.

Interestingly when I was building my PC I happened to mention my shop of choice to some work colleagues. We're a large org, and project based, so these colleagues I had only working with for 3-4 months.

They slammed ocuk pretty hard. Pricing, customer service, forum behaviour by mods, staff treatment....

That was 3 people and their mates I guess never shopping here...

I kept quiet after that and moved on, I have no need to defend OCUK.

Back
Top Bottom