• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Refresh) 3900XT/3800XT/3600XT

Caporegime
I have my eye on the 3800XT to go with a B550 board. See what the price is first though, 3800X is only £297 so if it's too much more it obviously won't be worth it.
The 3800X/XT are probably the worst value of the entire 3000 series. The 3700x is way cheaper and the performance is in general a mere stones throw away.

Associate
Imo the XT parts are of terrible value, prices are higher, they dont have coolers, and performance bump of 100mhz on the boosts clocks is a joke, most people wont see those boost clocks anyway, if they would have added 300mhz to the base clocks of all the 3 new refreshed models, it would have been a better story, but now I`d say avoid the new overpriced refresh and wait for 4000 series.

Caporegime
Imo the XT parts are of terrible value, prices are higher, they dont have coolers, and performance bump of 100mhz on the boosts clocks is a joke, most people wont see those boost clocks anyway, if they would have added 300mhz to the base clocks of all the 3 new refreshed models, it would have been a better story, but now I`d say avoid the new overpriced refresh and wait for 4000 series.
I don't think they expected many people to buy them.

This was more a case of maintaining the perceived value of Zen 2 so that Zen 3 doesn't look massively more expensive vs. Zen 2 when it comes out 20% more expensive than non-refresh Ryzen 3000 parts are going for now.

AMD will sell some of these, but that's the real value of these XT models.

Associate
I thought it was because of a possible 2-3 month Zen 3 delay that we got these XT models, but it seems they are more the result of “throwing everything they got at intel”, plus AMD will now be the one with the newest product on the market.
I just wish AMD priced the TX models more aggressively, especially now that the 3800XT/ 3900XT does not come with a CPU cooler.

Associate
I have a feeling these XT cpus will set new heights in all-core overclock. So any buyer of these will want good cooling.
As for pricing, these don't compare to super-binned 8086K and 9900KF pricing.

Soldato

In theory from what I have read about AMD's comments the performance is not just in the slightly higher boost clock, but the fact that they are more often able to hit that boost clock and sustain it in more workloads. The suggestion was around a 4-5% increase in perf over the non XT versions.

Of course whether that 4-5% is worth the significant price premium is another question entirely, and I think I'd just go for the much better value non-XT versions if I were currently in the market.

Permabanned
3700x at £290 vs 3800xt at £390. i wonder which one will sell better!! Pretty sure you won't see a 33% performance boost!
No but we already know that their are some people who will spend over the odds for a few more fps’s. The 3800xt will be faster than the 3700x but sensible people will weigh that up and decide a few extra fps’s is not worth the extra money. That is why Intel is selling much less than Amd right now.

Caporegime
No but we already know that their are some people who will spend over the odds for a few more fps’s. The 3800xt will be faster than the 3700x but sensible people will weigh that up and decide a few extra fps’s is not worth the extra money. That is why Intel is selling much less than Amd right now.
It likely will not be any faster at higher detail and resolutions (1440p and above) where the CPU is largely removed as the limitation.

Back
Top Bottom