*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
I do think people get confused about the devices and the controllers. The controller with the USG is the same controller that you get with the UDM. The firmware is different, but the controller is the same. 5.13.29 is the latest version across all hardware. Ergo - if you have controller 5.13.29 then you're looking at the options on the UDM and UDM Pro.
So the UDM and/or UDM Pro don't support SHA2? If so that's pretty poor for a 2019/2020 edge device.

Soldato
So the UDM and/or UDM Pro don't support SHA2? If so that's pretty poor for a 2019/2020 edge device.

Surely the fact that they're missing a few obvious features isn't a shock?

They didn't support Multi-WAN when they were launched n 2014. And that was poor back then. They still don't. I think that's much more telling about the state of router design at Ubiquiti Networks.

Soldato
i recently upgraded my AP to the latest firmware and also upgrade unifi network to 5.13.29.

Now it would seem my work laptops which connect to a VPN. One works and the other won't connect to the VPN at all. Seems like it might be a common issue ?? Anyone aware of this ?

Associate
i recently upgraded my AP to the latest firmware and also upgrade unifi network to 5.13.29.

Now it would seem my work laptops which connect to a VPN. One works and the other won't connect to the VPN at all. Seems like it might be a common issue ?? Anyone aware of this ?
Just updated my controller so I'll let you know if my work VPN dies in the next half hour

Soldato
Surely the fact that they're missing a few obvious features isn't a shock?

They didn't support Multi-WAN when they were launched n 2014. And that was poor back then. They still don't. I think that's much more telling about the state of router design at Ubiquiti Networks.

I see the UXG-PRO hit EA and more expensive than the dysfunctional UDM-PRO. Will be interesting to see if it's just more hashing onto different hardware.

And personally, I’d use Untangle given the option. Incredibly flexible router with genuine Next Generation firewall and pretty graphs.

It’s really sad how UBNT are blowing all the great reputation they built up In PtP Comms and Access Points by simply consistently underperforming in the router department.

Agreed, I have Untangle and Sophos XG available and both blow Unifi edge out of the water.

Last edited:
Soldato
Less functionality than the UDM-Pro (no UniFi Protect, Hard Drive or Controller) and more expensive. Good move, Ubiquiti!

Yup indeed, strange product direction. What makes me laugh is the fanboy community on their forums all getting upset that people don't class it as enterprise and so forth.

Being EA, wonder what will change.. The sad reality with their UDM-PRO is that it's a constant RC release. VERY glad I sold mine in the end. Another went through eBay recently and their selling for over original prices USED. Bonkers.

Soldato
Crikey, 'that' thread on the community forum is a bit of a farce. I long since gave up trying to read the posts.

The UXG-Pro could be a very interesting product, I'll be watching the software releases after they finally reach GA. I'm not interested in RC only releases on a GA product. I do run beta on my APs and switches but I know that I can switch to final releases if I have problems with betas.

If the UXG-Pro has final release software and that software can do the stuff I need it to do (bring up a PPPoE session for example, something that the most recent RC for the UDM-Pro can't do - bonkers!) then I'll probably get hold of one.

Man of Honour
Yeah I don't see my edge device staying as a Unifi device for much longer. Just working out what to go with, but my housemate works for Juniper and they're likely to be giving him a firewall so I could just use that.

Soldato
Yup indeed, strange product direction. What makes me laugh is the fanboy community on their forums all getting upset that people don't class it as enterprise and so forth.

Being EA, wonder what will change.. The sad reality with their UDM-PRO is that it's a constant RC release. VERY glad I sold mine in the end. Another went through eBay recently and their selling for over original prices USED. Bonkers.

It may not be as daft a strategy as it seems. My spies tell me that the UDM-Pro may be about to join the UAS-XG and the USG-XG-8 on the products that promised so much but were poison when they launched so they ditched them quick...

The UXG Pro then becomes the new high-end ‘pro’ level router and they can release a slower single WAN version at the same price as the UDM Pro in 9 months time and no- one will remember and will buy them at the higher prices in droves... Kerching!!!

Last edited:
Associate
Am sure this has been asked in the previous 237 pages but can't find an answer, am re doing my home network at the moment. Is a single nanoHD access point sufficient for a "standard" 4 bed house? Won't end up with any black spots with iffy signal. Thinking of mounting in upstairs landing above the stairs.

Associate
I currently have the following access points installed around my property

AP-AC-Pro - Ground Level
AP-AC-Lite - 3rd Floor
AP-AC-Mesh - Outside (Rear Garden)

I have one side of the house which does not have Wi-fi coverage, and I’m looking to install a new access point - the area will have low usage so looking for recommendations for which access point to get, poss even swap some of the access points around

Wi-fi coverage is important as i don’t have any mobile phone network coverage, So I have to rely on Wi-fi calling

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom