Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato

You'll never get a long range new drone in the UK, under EU law and likely to be UK law at the end of the year, radio and video transmission is limited, 100mw/25mw respectively, that's why your mavic mini can only managed 1000m, not the advertised range of 4000m. They are pretty crafty with how they display the transmission power on the spec sheet, using db rather than mw.

Even though db is the correct power representation, few people understand what it means, the EU mavic mini has a rated power of <14db (5.8ghz which is the video signal) and <19db for radio, basically you'll lose video way before radio. For each additional 6db you gain, you effectively double the range, not just linear but also penetration, the US version is <30db for video and radio.

These same requirements will also apply to all future drones with EU certification, so even a £5000 super drone will still be limited in this way.

Modern drones basically fly themselves, the only "difficult" ones are the fpv racing which have limited stabilisation and require some serious air time to master, but once mastered are incredibly agile and fast.

I'd go as far as say modern planes and helicopters are probably way easier to fly now then previously, thanks in part to the improved technology and software, most modern flight controllers contain pretty powerful cpus. I believe the flight controller on a modern fpv drone which uses an F7 cpu is basically on par performance wise with a desktop computer from early 2000, and its on a PCB that's maybe 1" squared.

Last edited:
Associate
There are some lovely spots in the UK with great features on either side of wide rivers that can be spanned quickly on a 4K/60 drone going a 40mph. It's then the 1km issue comes to mind, with drops & dips in video signal not helping.

What about after market antenna upgrades to the new controller? Some look like mini dishes. Would these mitigate that in anyway?

Soldato
Not really the antenna's on the mini are omni directional, changing to directional may improve range in a straight line but you'll lose signal quality for everything else.

There's nothing you can really do to improve it as the output power is so low. Maybe a 5.8ghz ground station might help but I think the mini is using DJIs prepriatory video transmission protocol so likely won't work anyway.

Associate
I printed and made sone yagi antenna for my mini recently on both 5.8ghz and 2.4ghz. Havent tested the 5.8 as i live in country side the 2.4 though have helped range is longer and a more stable connection for the cost of printing of 3 quid and a 1m length of 3mm diameter rod for 4 quid its worth it if you have a 3d printer then if not i have seen them on ebay for like 15 quid.

https://flic.kr/p/2j7spwf

Soldato
If the neighbours don't mind then who's going to report anybody?

The neighbours, if your drone crashes on them?

This is a typical example of people trying to justify why the law shouldn't apply to them so that they can do what they want to do. A bit like all those ***** on the Durdle Door beach when the helicopter landed. Social distancing went out the window, and everyone crowded around to try and get a photo.

Everything's ok when you break the law or the rules. Until it isn't. Typically then, the guilty party then looks for someone else to blame.

Soldato
I find a lot of this requires a degree of common sense. Taking a 249g drone for a quick spin in a back garden has always seemed harmless to me, a course we can debate the 'what if's' until the cows come home but let's not pretend every person who's driven in this forum hasn't taken their car above 70mph in the UK.
You've broken the law but you do it anyway because doing 80mph on a motorway is a lot different to doing 140mph in the same way taking a 249g craft vs a fully loaded 4250g DJI Inspire 2 in your back garden.

Unfortunately due to the legislation a lot of places you think you can fly are not allowed. Council ran parks that ban drones, nature reserves, beaches, coastal lines.

I bet if you contacted the people who owned or were responsible for this land you'd get a blanket no most times.

I like to think we've come a long way from dumb radio controlled aircraft from the 90's that require a very high degree of skill, an therefore can get out of control in a moments notice if you don't concentrate.
Today's radio controlled helicopter, rotary aircraft are all fly by wire(software), if takes care of the difficult stuff & you just point it where to go. I await my roasting :p

Your whole argument is based on:

- other people break other rules all the time, so it is ok for me to break this one
- how bad can it be to be hit by 0.25kg of metal and plastic falling from 400ft?
- legislation doesn't let me fly where I want to fly but I bought a drone anyway
- it seems harmless to me

Basically, you think that you know better, so you're trying to justify doing whatever the **** you like.

Soldato
I must admit I'm really tempted to get an FPV racer setup as the new DJI goggles and vTX look amazingly good.

The reviews I've seen on YT are done in the US though so I don't know if those will not be applicable to UK systems. The quality and signal stability flying through multi-storey car parks and around buildings is great.

Soldato
I must admit I'm really tempted to get an FPV racer setup as the new DJI goggles and vTX look amazingly good.

The reviews I've seen on YT are done in the US though so I don't know if those will not be applicable to UK systems. The quality and signal stability flying through multi-storey car parks and around buildings is great.

Goggles are basically the same for US/EU, slight difference in the channels it uses, but otherwise identical. The major change comes from the vTX where power output for the "official" FPV airunit will be limited to <14db for the EU market. The US its limit is <30db, that's 25mw/1000mw respecively. HUGE difference.

Soldato
Goggles are basically the same for US/EU, slight difference in the channels it uses, but otherwise identical. The major change comes from the vTX where power output for the "official" FPV airunit will be limited to <14db for the EU market. The US its limit is <30db, that's 25mw/1000mw respecively. HUGE difference.
Well I'm due to work in the US for a bit once things are a bit more normal. Might be tempted to buy some kit over there tbh! Failing that *cough* import. :)

I got rid of my last Phantom setup because it was boring. The FPV was pretty rubbish too. Flying fast and close to the ground with something agile and with great video seems to be where it's at. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
DJI are a bit finicky when it comes to using products from other regions, as most require online registration or activation they may lock you out.

If your going for an FPV racing drone then the CADDX Vista (dji compatible vtx/camera) will allow the higher power and won't be blocked/locked out by DJI. You will lose the onboard DVR though, unless there's a newer model available. I've not looked for quiet a few months.

Associate
Associate
Some people might find this ugly as hell I dont mind it but its more for safety of the drone and the surroundings but I have wrapped my Mini to make it stand out more, the company that supplies the wrap has plenty of other designs that arent as gareish

50019680071_9da213a90c_c.jpg

Soldato
Yep, that video is typical of probably about 70% of drone footage on YouTube. They'll get banned completely soon enough, and when it happens you can blame idiots like that.

Last edited:
Associate
So got my first drone today - DJI Mavic Mini.

Absolutely amazing toy, was using in doors no issues, in the garden etc.

After dinner I decided to try it out in a locally - literally as soon as a took off it fell out of the sky from about 10 meters away, 6 meters high.
Thought it was rather odd, and no damage to speak of.

Tried again, and again as soon as a I took off, it flipped over onto it's back and fell out of the sky and broke the gimbal.

I had the drone connected to my Android phone (Pixel 3XL) if that makes any difference - I'm at a total loss? :(

I have filed a claim for refresh, but paranoid it's going to happen again plus the extra cost for something that on the face of it was not pilot error.

Edit: Just tried again, it flys for a bit and then just dies mid flight!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom