Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Id really appreciate some advice/help folks.

Im researching Lowes in the US (LOW) and looking at their balance sheet ye2019 vs ye2020. Even though turnover was similar the operating profit was much less in 19 than 20. Side by side I can see that this is due to ye2019 having much higher 'unusual expenses/income'. Thats the title on stockopedia at least.

I want to know... What happened in 2019 and what are these 'unusual expenses' that are almost double that of ye20.

Where do I find this specific info?!

Soldato
Id really appreciate some advice/help folks.

Im researching Lowes in the US (LOW) and looking at their balance sheet ye2019 vs ye2020. Even though turnover was similar the operating profit was much less in 19 than 20. Side by side I can see that this is due to ye2019 having much higher 'unusual expenses/income'. Thats the title on stockopedia at least.

I want to know... What happened in 2019 and what are these 'unusual expenses' that are almost double that of ye20.

Where do I find this specific info?!

Should be in their annual report. Normally something like an acquisition, settling debts or one-off purchase etc.

Associate
Im looking to buy both Home depot and Lowes. And some Autozone.

Year on year growth, year on year profits, no series recent covid sales issues and all with cash piles no debt. They seem to be a household brand in the US too which I think is always a win.

Everything I can find on all 3 whether its from google or stockopedia or looking at accounts looks good.

Soldato
Hi guys, I'm new to trading and I just wanted to ask some beginner questions if you wouldn't mind helping me.

I've only been trading 4 months on Trading 212. I use the Trading tab at the top of the app on my phone.

So my questions are around TAX in the UK.

Can you please explain to me if I have to pay tax and if so how much tax will I pay? Could you give me an example on 20k, 40k and 60k profits?

I'm planning on buying and holding stocks long term and not selling for at least 5-10 years.

My 2nd question is, I think I should have used the ISA tab in Trading 212 but only just realised. I guess there's nothing I can do about that now. But i heard that as long as I only invest 2k or less per year under the ISA tab I don't have to pay tax? Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
You can invest £20k into your ISA per tax year....Any profits made on your capital are free from income tax/capital gains tax etc.

ALWAYS use this as your first option.

With all due respect - do some basic searching and discovery on tax/trading etc before you start firing into the unknown. I don't mean that in a bad way but it's pretty basic stuff if your going to be trading/investing.

Caporegime
Hi guys, I'm new to trading and I just wanted to ask some beginner questions if you wouldn't mind helping me.
[...]
I'm planning on buying and holding stocks long term and not selling for at least 5-10 years.

My 2nd question is, I think I should have used the ISA tab in Trading 212 but only just realised. I guess there's nothing I can do about that now. But i heard that as long as I only invest 2k or less per year under the ISA tab I don't have to pay tax? Is this correct?

People would generally refer to this as "investing", trading tends to be used in reference to more active speculation over shorter time frames.

As per previous reply your ISA allowance is rather higher than 2k!

As for tax on your investments that are not within an ISA - capital gains tax is something you should perhaps read up on:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-shares

Soldato
Thanks for your replies guys.

Well I'm enjoying investing so far. I've bought two shares in Tesla @ $829 and a few other stocks. I've got over 20 companies on my portfolio now and I've made over £700 in profit so far so I'm happy with the way things are going.

They say all first time investors make mistakes. I wish I'd known about the ISA before but oh well.

I'll start buying all my stocks under the ISA tab from now on so I don't have to pay tax. I already invested £1800 in the past 4 months but that's my portfolio done now. My plan is to leave it to grow over next 5-10 years. I'm very happy I'm on the Tesla train as it's set to make me as much as 60k within next 10 years.

I just wish I'd bought Tesla from the ISA account instead of the investing account so I wouldn't have to pay tax.

I found a good YouTube video which explains tax in the UK. It says I will have to pay 7.5% over 12k so if I do make 40-60k on Tesla do you think that's all I will have to pay? Just 7.5%?

Soldato

I've only been trading 4 months on Trading 212. I use the Trading tab at the top of the app on my phone.

So my questions are around TAX in the UK.

Can you please explain to me if I have to pay tax and if so how much tax will I pay? Could you give me an example on 20k, 40k and 60k profits?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/stocks-shares-isas/

Go to Government sources for Tax guidance, not Youtube :)

Associate
Hi hoping someone can advise me. My father passed away in May. He had shares in Shell and National Grid. Worth around £20k. They are held with a company called Investec. They have told me once probate is granted I can sell them or keep them. I’m not interested in selling. Can I transfer them into a stock and shares ISA? And do I have to use this company.

Associate
Looking to buy Dotdigital (DOTD). On google is shows as 102 (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=dotdigital+shares) but on Trading 212 it shows as 105!

I know there can be small differences and also Trading 212 may make money from the spread.

But thats like 3% difference?! Which is pretty much the whole range of highs and lows in the last 1 month.

Am I doing something wrong?!

Edit: FDM looks good too!

Soldato
Thanks for your replies guys.

*snip*

Your post scares me. I don't want to sound offensive but it has all the hallmarks of impending doom. You should certainly know what an ISA allowance is and what the CGT rate is before piling thousands of pounds into the stockmarket. And 20 stocks at that.

I would stop what you're doing, potentially even sell everything, and pick up a copy of Naked Trader to learn the basics, fundamentals and terminology.

As above, your comments on Tesla are particularly worrying.

FMF

FMF

Associate
Quick question for any using Hargreaves Lansdown or similar platform.

When investing in a company how do the dividend payments work? Are they added to your fund as cash or transferred to your bank account?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom