• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
One day I might get PS5 for Last of Us 1&2, that's the only exclusive title that appeals so far. Get it when the slim version is out and down in price.

Update: there are 0 exclusive games that appeal on PS5 :)

bru

bru

Soldato
Why is it that people say that GPU prices will keep going up and yet they seem to think that the consoles will still be cheap.
I mean the PS5 has a generous 5 times the power of the PS4, and yet it is expected to be a similar price.

So by that reckoning the 3060, should be similar in price to the 2060, the 3070 like the 2070 etc, even though they should be much more powerful.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why is it that people say that GPU prices will keep going up and yet they seem to think that the consoles will still be cheap.
I mean the PS5 has a generous 5 times the power of the PS4, and yet it is expected to be a similar price.

So by that reckoning the 3060, should be similar in price to the 2060, the 3070 like the 2070 etc, even though they should be much more powerful.
But that has nearly always been the case has it not? Only the 20 series took the piscuit. Before that price increases were small and inline with inflation. Do keep in mind a big reason card prices have hiked so much is because our currency tanked the past decade or so.

If console prices could go up with inflation or a bit more and say PS5 was £699, then that would buy you better hardware so consoles would not be as behind PC. Like right now my guess is the PS5 will have 3060 performance, but at the higher price point might have 3070/3080 performance. Though cooling such a beast be hard.

All that said, there is a price for performance sweet spot, they likely have hit that. Just look at a 5700XT and compare it to a 2080Ti. 3 times the cost yet only like 40% better? Mad.

Can’t wait to see AMD and Nvidia’s offerings in September. Not looked forward to a launch this much in a long time.

Associate
So breaking news - https://www.facebook.com/CyberpunkGame/ - has been put back to November.
Possible associated Ampere delays?

Bet thats caused a lot leather jacket wear and squeaking. How are they going to now swindle the masses into parting more cash on founders editions early September. They need to get them out before the $500+ 'normal' 3070s, and they cant really delay the 3070 equivalent tier too much, as people will just use that $500+ burning a whole in their pocket come November on AMD or console.

If they did bring out a 3090 and later a 3080ti, then effectively a 3060/3070 gets bumped down a tier in the pecking order. Maintaining price with the 2000 namesakes would then in fact be a price increase.
But if a later released 3080ti is only a slight bump on the 3080 a bit like 1070/1070ti then not much changes and is what I think might happen (if a 3090 shows up). The whole super naming thing was horrid. Hope they just go back to sticking Ti on later released cards instead.

Soldato

In a lot of electrical goods each new generation either brings improvements for around the same price or a price reduction for the same performance, like say a 55inch TV today can be had for under £500 whereas if you brought one 10 years ago it would a few thousand.

That was how the Gpu market used to work but lately the performance has dried up and the only thing increasing is the price and this is the reason even 4 year old used Gpus are still commanding over half of their original value when new.

Caporegime
An Xbox Series X will be more powerful than a 3600x with a 2080 Super and it'll cost around £500

And it'll play 4K Blu-rays, and have HDMI 2.1 which no Nvidia GPU currently does have.

So yes, you are correct that the small number of people with 10+ core CPU's with 2080Ti's or Titan RTX's have "PC's already more powerful than these consoles" (and I'm one of them, by the way)

But if you are on most types of budget, the Xbox Series X makes far more sense than buying a top-end PC for gaming.

Naturally there is always a crossover point when the new consoles are released which puts them pretty close to a mid - high end PC. Give it a year or two and just like always, the consoles will be very weak in comparison.

Personally i have to have a powerful machine (cpu and ram) for other tasks, so the only price equation for me is the GPU anyway. I'm sure there are others in a similar situation.

I bought an Xbox One X last year but sold it within months because the loading times made me want to cry :p. That shouldn't be a problem this gen with the NVME ssds used, but no doubt technology will move on and there will be a point in this new generation where the consoles are comparably terrible or slow at something in relation to a good PC.

As you say, consoles are a good budget option but experience of going back and forth over the generations between PC and consoles is that if you want the best medium to play games on, you pay the money and keep your PC up to spec.

Soldato
But that has nearly always been the case has it not? Only the 20 series took the piscuit. Before that price increases were small and inline with inflation. Do keep in mind a big reason card prices have hiked so much is because our currency tanked the past decade or so.

If console prices could go up with inflation or a bit more and say PS5 was £699, then that would buy you better hardware so consoles would not be as behind PC. Like right now my guess is the PS5 will have 3060 performance, but at the higher price point might have 3070/3080 performance. Though cooling such a beast be hard.

All that said, there is a price for performance sweet spot, they likely have hit that. Just look at a 5700XT and compare it to a 2080Ti. 3 times the cost yet only like 40% better? Mad.

Can’t wait to see AMD and Nvidia’s offerings in September. Not looked forward to a launch this much in a long time.

Next gen could easily be 50% increase in performance.

Even the XSX has been compared to close to RTX 2080 by devs so both consoles will likely be around 2070/S/2080 levels. 2080S IMO is unrealistic as the specs just aren’t there.

I think 3060 performance is quite realistic though depends on a fair few factors.

The Ti specs are there with nearly 50% more cuda cores over RTX 2080. 1080 to 1080Ti was only 40% and that near enough translated into direct performance. Don’t see the same kind of thing with the 2080Ti unfortunately.

Last edited:
Associate
A £250~£350 GPU should have solid performance at 1080p and 1440p as monitors at those resolutions are not expensive now. If they are not,then the huge £150~£250 market will also a bit crap too.

You are talking about now right? 2020. We had solid 1080p performance for £250-350 5 years ago! The 290X/390X/GTX970 hit that price point back then.

Admittedly now we have the likes of 580 around £200, but that barely beats the 480 which was similarly
priced a few years back.

Not much change at the lower end goes to show where the gains have come from. All they've done price-wise is just add a new price tier at the top for the new 'top performing' models.

So the 2080TI is 33% faster than its predecessor, not a huge jump in performance is it? Its £1200, 5700XT as the current gen performance alternative to the GTX 1080TI is £400, again for Three times the money i get a third more performance, i get 150 FPS you get 200.

Why? that's insane.

Exactly. Back in the day, it would be reasonable to expect a 50% improvement minimum at a similar price. In 5 years, we still don't 100% improvement over 970 at its pricepoint. And if folks want to mention inflation, according to people's annual wage increases, its only a couple percent or so a year. Not sure where Nvidia gets their figures from.

It's a shame since Kepler and Maxwell were competitive and fairly priced. Not seen anything as good since.

In the likelyhood that there's no significant price-performance improvement, I'll just continue with what I have or buy my friends 2080S 2nd hand (he only ordered it this week), when he upgrades to whatever Nvidia do release.

Caporegime
You are talking about now right? 2020. We had solid 1080p performance for £250-350 5 years ago! The 290X/390X/GTX970 hit that price point back then.

Admittedly now we have the likes of 580 around £200, but that barely beats the 480 which was similarly
priced a few years back.

Not much change at the lower end goes to show where the gains have come from. All they've done price-wise is just add a new price tier at the top for the new 'top performing' models.

Exactly. Back in the day, it would be reasonable to expect a 50% improvement minimum at a similar price. In 5 years, we still don't 100% improvement over 970 at its pricepoint. And if folks want to mention inflation, according to people's annual wage increases, its only a couple percent or so a year. Not sure where Nvidia gets their figures from.

It's a shame since Kepler and Maxwell were competitive and fairly priced. Not seen anything as good since.

In the likelyhood that there's no significant price-performance improvement, I'll just continue with what I have or buy my friends 2080S 2nd hand (he only ordered it this week), when he upgrades to whatever Nvidia do release.

I remember the good old days of the 8800GTX when the pound was almost equal to 2 dollars. I paid about £330 for an 8800GTX (the top thing at the time). Good times.

With it now at 1.24 dollars to the pound, GPU prices are going to stay horrible over here unfortunately.

Last edited:

jkb

jkb

Associate
I remember the good old days of the 8800GTX when the pound was almost equal to the dollar. I paid about £330 for an 8800GTX (the top thing at the time). Good times.

With it now at 1.24 pounds to the dollar, GPU prices are going to stay horrible over here unfortunately.

It is the other way around, 1.24 dollars to the pound. The pound being equal to the dollar would make it more expensive in pounds.

Associate

People are daft enough to have been conditioned by Nvidia to accept and lap up ludicrous prices. It's a combination of naïve fanboyism and a desperate need to have the 'best' as soon as it's released. It's similar to the long queues of fat munters outside Primark, people get conditioned to 'normality' in Primark's case crap clothes at affordable prices (the whole fighting over tat is a Primark thing) and with Nvidia tiny incremental improvements with vastly bigger price increases. It's the people who literally have more money than sense driving this. I applaud Nvidia for this as they're only getting away with it due to their consumers being so loyally silly. If people didn't buy at these levels the price would drop very quickly.

Soldato
People are daft enough to have been conditioned by Nvidia to accept and lap up ludicrous prices. It's a combination of naïve fanboyism and a desperate need to have the 'best' as soon as it's released. It's similar to the long queues of fat munters outside Primark, people get conditioned to 'normality' in Primark's case crap clothes at affordable prices (the whole fighting over tat is a Primark thing) and with Nvidia tiny incremental improvements with vastly bigger price increases. It's the people who literally have more money than sense driving this. I applaud Nvidia for this as they're only getting away with it due to their consumers being so loyally silly. If people didn't buy at these levels the price would drop very quickly.

I wish Nvidia were like Primark, 2080Ti for £2, yes please :p Marketing is a science now and with easy credit it's a simple matter to sell to the masses. Hence the huge levels of personal debt. Ironically Western economies are getting poorer, look at low wage increases and rising prices/,shrinkflation. No wonder people feed their consumerist habits with credit. These economic pressures are what's going to curb Nvidia's pricing as there will be a point where the consumers run out of money or credit.

Caporegime
I've still got a 4690k and a GTX970 in my main rig.

I barely pay games anymore except for Lego and Cuphead with my children, but I really want to have a go at things like Flight Simulator and RDR2.

So I'm in a position where I either blast £1,000 on a Ryzen CPU, motherboard, SSD, RAM, new PSU probably, and an unknown GPU, or ~half that on a console that I can just plug into my 4K TV, keeping my 4690k chugging along.

I think the consoles will be more expensive than the prices being discussed here, but even so it's going to be hard to persuade myself to shell out for the PC.

VR is the only thing tempting me to go for the PC really.

Soldato
I've still got a 4690k and a GTX970 in my main rig.

I barely pay games anymore except for Lego and Cuphead with my children, but I really want to have a go at things like Flight Simulator and RDR2.

So I'm in a position where I either blast £1,000 on a Ryzen CPU, motherboard, SSD, RAM, new PSU probably, and an unknown GPU, or ~half that on a console that I can just plug into my 4K TV, keeping my 4690k chugging along.

I think the consoles will be more expensive than the prices being discussed here, but even so it's going to be hard to persuade myself to shell out for the PC.

VR is the only thing tempting me to go for the PC really.

Versatility is the main selling point of the PC but that's only useful if you use it for different things.

Soldato

When I've upgraded I had to choose between RTX2080 and Vega VII. RTX2080 was significantly cheaper, had a few games with it and available. I could still use the extra performance of the 2080ti, but some models were almost double in price. No thanks.

A significantly bigger die of 352mm AMD sold for about $270 in 2012 - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-7870-xt.c1860. That's about $0.77 / mm
Now it sells a significantly smaller one of 251mm for about $399 (with the intended original price of $449!) https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5700-xt.c3339 That's about $1.59 / mm
So double.
R290 at 438mm launched at $399. In Nov 2013. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r9-290.c2397

AMD is doing the same thing nVIDIA does and if they have the option, they will take from you as much money as possible.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It is the other way around, 1.24 dollars to the pound. The pound being equal to the dollar would make it more expensive in pounds.

Haha, I was tired when I wrote that and wrote a load of balls. You are correct ofcourse. I meant almost 2 dollars to the pound :p

Caporegime
Naturally there is always a crossover point when the new consoles are released which puts them pretty close to a mid - high end PC. Give it a year or two and just like always, the consoles will be very weak in comparison.

The PS5 will be "very weak" vs PC in 1-2 years? I doubt it, as that is not realistic or logical based on the reported specs. In 3-5 years yes, more likely that then it will start to show it's age without a console refresh.

Back
Top Bottom