The Tesla Thread

Soldato
I really want a model Y, or 3(not sure atm) but I'm waiting for some information about new batteries. I've seen hints about the 'million mile' battery, with their recent acquisitions in the field, so I'm trying to hold off until I get one with the new tech'.

Anyone know any more about it? I know Tesla has applied for a UK utility license, so they can supply electricity, and they then can use the cars effectively as power-walls and even make money supplying electricity to the grid at times, so ideally I want to get it all as soon as I can - car, Tesla electric, solar and have it all linked up neat. I just need a date(not that kind)...

Anyone know anything about it?

Soldato
Million mile might be the maxell tech they acquired when they bought the company. Chinese cars are looking like the Low/no colbalt battery cells which a slight range hit but much better cost to increase their margin in the country.
Battery day coming so Tesla will tell us more then.

Soldato
Don't expect million miles for a while, and even then at a premium. Imo it's certainly not worth holding out for. Like PC tech, you could hold out forever since there'll always be improvements made every year.

Associate
expect model S an X to get the new cells first, then the truck and roster! model 3 and Y will be last to refresh imo. though the factory in Germany i would expect to be doing cells and packs as well so maybe 18 months for European 3 and Y. The Panasonic partnership in america has just been extended though but don't know if that will be working on Tesla's own dry manufacturing or just expanding current production. Battery day will be a big event and soon - Elon time though and he keeps pushing it back so they can have the crowds again and make a lot of noise. follow his twitter for first hand info. all part of the fun :)
Dan

Soldato
I wouldn't be worried abotut not having the '1 million mile' battery, its pretty clear the current tech can outlast the life of the car. The current Tesla tech is also good enough for all but the most extreme use cases.

For me the biggest piece to tech that's missing for long term is bi-directional charging (e.g. running your house off your car) but that might not be a thing for years either.

Associate
current packs in model 3 are good for 300k and 500k miles anyway for SR+ or long range. How many ICE cars often get to that kind of millage? robotaxi is where the new packs are really needed if they do end up with cars driving 16 hours a day, 365 days a year for the Tesla fleet.

Soldato
that had been debunked as false, at least in production models up to late 2019,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkRk2OQI7RE

a shame as it would be very cool. but i suspect that is for a later date.

I try not to take much stock of rumours, I'll wait for a firm announcement from Tesla before taking a view.

V2G chargers are also insanely expensive at the moment and not exactly cost effective which is why it might not be a thing for some time.

Soldato
Anyone else enjoying Fallout Shelter? It's good fun and I hadn't tried it until it arrived in the car with the latest OTA update.

I wish I could afford to buy one. Built and alignment quality and noise issues aside (I've got plenty) it's the best car I've har and I'll be gutted to give it back in just under 3 years.

Soldato
yes i have 2020.16.2.1 atm and it does now slow down in advanced for bends in the roads. Still thinking about if i will splash down £5800 for FSD this month . Elon still expecting to put the price up by 1000 world wide. v soon.]

Obviously you can do what you want but you really shouldn't use autopilot on main roads. It's for motorways and dual carriageways only.

nam

nam

Soldato
with the new rear camera views being added suggested on twitter it maybe possible to get a 360 view camera albeit a stitch up of the current views

Soldato
with the new rear camera views being added suggested on twitter it maybe possible to get a 360 view camera albeit a stitch up of the current views

Sadly, because the front camera is in the windshield and not on the front of the car, it won’t be possible to have a proper 360 top down view. They could achieve most of it though, just with a large blind spot immediately in front of the car.

Associate
I think there would even be a blind spot alongside the front wheels due to the b-pillar cameras being below the surface unlike the cameras in the wings.

I only got the update today so haven't had chance to see how well it works with the rear and sides.

Soldato
1st Tesla boat in Q3 arrived at Southampton on 6th August, with more boats coming into Europe this month. So, if you're awaiting a Model 3 you could be in luck soon.

The dry spell of Tesla registrations has come to an end, and we will likely see a new record for BEV mix this month I reckon.

Soldato
Oh yeah there's suddenly loads of stock on the existing inventory on the Tesla site instead of the usual 4 or 5 there have been for the last month or so.

Wonder when we'll start seeing any 2nd hand ones on there.. that's what i'm waiting for.

Soldato
Oh yeah there's suddenly loads of stock on the existing inventory on the Tesla site instead of the usual 4 or 5 there have been for the last month or so.

Wonder when we'll start seeing any 2nd hand ones on there.. that's what i'm waiting for.

That will be a while I suspect - people saving lots of fuel, enjoying the "tesla experience" etc - With little or no servicing required and no MOT for 3 years, I suspect it will be a while before 2nd hand market starts up. Also remember that very few dealers will take them as trade in etc. I think they will be scared of them for a while yet!! :D

Soldato
Yeah and tbf the prices from Tesla themselves tend to be way better than from anywhere else in the market. There was what must have been an ex demo with around 9000 miles on it which was on the Tesla site for 33k but other ones are no where near that cheap anywhere else.

Realistically need to wait for at least 2 years for peoples leases to expire before any real 2nd hand ones appear :( and even then if the US is anything to go by the depreciation might be so low you may as well buy a new one!

Back
Top Bottom