The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Man of Honour
Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting video. At the 2 minute mark when he's making his pizza, is that a pile of semolina he is covering the dough in?

Also, separate to that.... I do a 5 day cold ferment with strong bread flour, but I can't handle the dough ball like he does, it tears quite easily. Is that down to the type of flour or something else? Its usually out of the fridge for a few hours before shaping.

Soldato
Interesting video. At the 2 minute mark when he's making his pizza, is that a pile of semolina he is covering the dough in?

Also, separate to that.... I do a 5 day cold ferment with strong bread flour, but I can't handle the dough ball like he does, it tears quite easily. Is that down to the type of flour or something else? Its usually out of the fridge for a few hours before shaping.
Probably the flour, strong bread flour doesn't have the elasticity.
You want a high W rating and a low P/L rating.

I use a W320, P/L 0.50 0.60

Made all the difference now all I need to do to stretch it is hold it up by the edge and let gravity do the work. It will keep stretching until it goes so thin it tears.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it's under kneaded but it could be I suppose. Quite possibly the flour so I will look to get some decent flour as see if that helps. Thanks.

Associate
What makes the crust go fluffy? Is it the amount of water?

I followed the op's recipe (probably not enough yeast as I had to guess with 2 tablespoons) and it was quite hard.

Soldato
didn't see the 10% offer on the fathers day emails ooni sent me ... but maybe I didn't click on the right link, didn't seem to be up on hotuk.

comments on hotuk re ooni interesting
Ooni have handled this whole situation very poorly. Instead of being fully transparent, letting people know that retailers would be getting stock BEFORE their own webstore. They created an air of mystery and people clamoured to their webstore to place pre-orders for as late as September. It also triggered a lucrative secondary market as people thought they had no option but to pay anywhere between £400 and £700 (model depending) to guarantee use over the summer. In turn, Ooni couldn’t handle the demand, quoting up to 21 days for customer service replies which is obviously unacceptable and has caused them no end of complaints. Then ovens started popping up at retailers, p1$$ing off the people who had pre-orders pending with Ooni direct. So those people started ordering from the retailers and cancelling their pre-orders with Ooni, creating even more admin for themselves. Many lessons to be learnt here me thinks.

Associate
didn't see the 10% offer on the fathers day emails ooni sent me ... but maybe I didn't click on the right link, didn't seem to be up on hotuk.

comments on hotuk re ooni interesting

Agreed 100%. I actually cancelled my pre-order as realised I'm not desperate enough to wait for a company to dictate when I receive my goods AFTER taking payment. It's just wrong.

As for the 21 day customer service, my heart dropped when I seen that when I approached them to cancel the order. In reality it took them about 3 days and in their defence at least, the refund was immediate. Again though, advising 21 days for customer service responses is just a no-no for brand reputation. If they are experiencing high demand, then that equals higher revenue and higher profit. Ergo, invest in to more customer service personnel!!

I've instead decided to invest in to improving my dough with my oven technique until at such a time stock is available.

Soldato
What makes the crust go fluffy? Is it the amount of water?

I followed the op's recipe (probably not enough yeast as I had to guess with 2 tablespoons) and it was quite hard.
Flour, hydration, yeast activity, kneeding, how you formed the dough.

Man of Honour
Agreed 100%. I actually cancelled my pre-order as realised I'm not desperate enough to wait for a company to dictate when I receive my goods AFTER taking payment. It's just wrong.

As for the 21 day customer service, my heart dropped when I seen that when I approached them to cancel the order. In reality it took them about 3 days and in their defence at least, the refund was immediate. Again though, advising 21 days for customer service responses is just a no-no for brand reputation. If they are experiencing high demand, then that equals higher revenue and higher profit. Ergo, invest in to more customer service personnel!!

I've instead decided to invest in to improving my dough with my oven technique until at such a time stock is available.

In three weeks time when your pizza is still only 10% as good as it would be if you hadn't taken a stand, you can always reorder ;)

Back
Top Bottom