• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Regrets going from Intel to AMD?

Soldato
4770k to 3700x and very happy.

I have a question though, when running a game my cpu frequency goes 2ghz then upto 4ghz it keeps changing a lot and also during Cinebench it only runs 2.6ghz any ideas? is there something I need to adjust in BIOS?

Cpuz says it runs 4.2ghz on desktop at times....been out the loop a while so this is new to me.

Associate
I left Intel for AMD many years ago and have no desire to go back.
(However, I did leave Nvidia for AMD graphics and two years ago I went back to Nvidia)

Soldato
The only advantage is the higher clock speeds of intel, if AMD cores run at the same speed. No doubt they would thrash intel ;)

No its the cores.. We all know intel has the better architecture and if you had them side by side at the same clock speed and core count,, intel will be faster. It has always been that way, accept for the AMD64 days.

Soldato
We all know intel has the better architecture and if you had them side by side at the same clock speed and core count,, intel will be faster. It has always been that way, accept for the AMD64 days.

No it's the other way around. AMD's architecture is 14% more efficient. Intel vs AMD at the SAME clockspeed and SAME core/thread count, AMD is 14% faster because their IPC is 14% higher.

Intel needs a 14% higher clockspeed to perform equal to AMD. I think it's 14% anyway.

Associate
No its the cores.. We all know intel has the better architecture and if you had them side by side at the same clock speed and core count,, intel will be faster. It has always been that way, accept for the AMD64 days.
You wasn't really "keeping finger on the pulse" for the past 2 years :D

Caporegime

Are you sure?

Single threaded:

12, Score 548: Intel Core i7 8700K at 5.2Ghz, Polo6RGTI
13, Score 547: AMD Ryzen R9 3950X at 4.7Ghz, jordand77

Thats 11% higher per clock performance to Ryzen.

Multithreaded:

Score 4125: AMD Ryzen R5 3600 at 4.5Ghz, RavenXXX2
Score 4124: Intel Core i7 8700K at 5.2Ghz, Chaos666

Thats 15% higher per clock performance to Ryzen.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-official-ocuk-cinebench-r20-benchmark-thread.18849380/

Caporegime

lol "better architecture", as said above they have nothing besides clock speed advantage which is reaching it's limits with their recycled skylake cpu's.

Caporegime
Intel's 14nm++++++++++ Is vastly more mature than AMD's 7nm.

That's why Intel are able to get those very high 5Ghz+ clock speeds, the original 14nm chips 'Broadwell' actually clocked less than AMD's 7nm Zen 2.

A very mature process is all Intel have, the IPC is 10% + behind.

Soldato
Opps wow, looks like I was wrong...sorry. But it has always been the case that amd is slower overall, so Im guessing amd is faster in gaming too than?... So basically the only advantage intel has over amd is the overclocking?

When I was upgrading my 2500k about 2-3yrs ago, it was between the 8086k, 8700k or the 2700x and intel came ontop for gaming, because intel was much better at overclocking. Also back then amd was hard to get all the cores running at the same speed.

I wonder which will be king in 4-5yrs when I come to upgrade again?

Last edited:
Caporegime
The IPC on Zen + (Rzen 2000) is about 15% lower than Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000)

Your CPU is good, it is on average 10% faster than mine in games and certainly significantly faster in games than a 2700X.

Zen + was a refinement on the original Zen and was not hugely different in performance, Zen 2 is new architecture, Zen 3 will also be a new architecture and AMD themselves have said it will have 17% higher IPC.

CPU's are being improved again, after 10 years of stagnation. :)

Caporegime
Yes and no, love overclocking, kinda disappointing 4.45ghz is the highest I can go.

Mine is an early Zen 2, bought it right on release, i can't get it past 4.3Ghz, they do clock better now that the 7nm node is more mature, which is why AMD are refreshing them with higher clock speed's.

Seems a bit pointless as Zen 3 is due in about October, i guess they just want to give Zen 2 a send-off showing what it can do now that the 7nm Node has been bedded in.

Associate
I can see why people worry about moving to AMD given some of their history but that's kinda the point, its history. The original Ryzen release was not a good platform and needed work but AMD have indeed now done the work and the new 300 series is well placed to take Intel on and win in many use cases. You can tell when a platform matures as the OEM's are comfortable with it and start pushing pre-builts to consumers using the tech.

The single feature I miss since moving from Intel is Nested VM's which is real useful in learning for clustering etc but I can live without it.

I will be very interested though to see what Intel hits back with at the end of this year as I cant see them continuing to lose ground and put up with it. Likewise I would like to see how far AMD can push with Zen before they hit diminishing returns like Intel have with 14nm++++++

I guess we watch and learn.....

Soldato
Mine is an early Zen 2, bought it right on release, i can't get it past 4.3Ghz, they do clock better now that the 7nm node is more mature, which is why AMD are refreshing them with higher clock speed's.

Seems a bit pointless as Zen 3 is due in about October, i guess they just want to give Zen 2 a send-off showing what it can do now that the 7nm Node has been bedded in.
The XT is pointless, people will buy them so it is fine I guess. Did you find that the limit was more the frequency rather than voltage? I mean I can do what I have at 1.34v, but an extra 50 Mhz doesn't even stable at 1.5v, I was never going to leave it at that, was just ****** and simply wanted to know if it would do it.

Soldato

XT is just a refinement that could have simply have silently replaced existing CPUs with no change in name, but with people simply getting better performance. However, it seems AMD have learned something and are using these smaller manufacturing improvements to get out some more marketing with a launch of these "new" products. That's a good thing for AMD, even with new CPUs coming at the end of the year.

Caporegime
The XT is pointless, people will buy them so it is fine I guess. Did you find that the limit was more the frequency rather than voltage? I mean I can do what I have at 1.34v, but an extra 50 Mhz doesn't even stable at 1.5v, I was never going to leave it at that, was just ****** and simply wanted to know if it would do it.

Yes, its the quality of the silicon that improves the more it gets used.

All core high stress load like Cinebench / Handbreak is 1.37v at 4.025Ghz out of the box, in games it boosts between 4.1 and 4.2Ghz at 1.46v on individual cores, i can get it upto 4.2Ghz all core with 1.48v but its doesn't like it and its certainly not 24/7 clocks, single core it just crashes at anything over 4.3Ghz at any volts.

These days people are getting 4.5Ghz all core with 1.25v out of 3600's, 4.7Ghz single core with similar volts, its improved massively, Ryzen 3000 are still set up for the quality the original, mine.... now that they do so much better they are getting refreshed, up to 4.8Ghz, that is a maturing process, AMD have made millions of Ryzen 3000 CPU's on 7nm at this point, its nice and mature, Zen 3 will be made on the same node as the refreshed Ryzen 3000 so they will also clock.

Back
Top Bottom