Dog/Puppy Prices

Soldato
I've been on the look out for a specific breed for a while and as a result check dog sales quite often.

In the last few months the escalation of prices has been astounding, around a 200% increase. Whilst I get the supply/demand arguement, it seems there is a building welfare issue, with likely increased levels of opportunistic "amateur" breeding. Has anyone else noticed this? It also seems that there will be post COVID flurry of people giving up their pets.

Associate
Im betting OP'S missus wants one of these little designer puppies or summat that fits in her handbag like an accessory.

Tell ya missus to stop watching TOWIE and go rescue one who would love a home

Soldato
Yeah prices for the breeds we've been looking at have sky rocketted. Hopefully by the time we're able to get what we want prices will have calmed down a bit.

We're buying a dog but will be rescuing a cat in the future

Caporegime
Get a shelter dog.

Better genetics (variation)
and you're giving an animal a home.
And it will be unique

These fashionable breeds with breathing difficulties are animal cruelty nothing less (not suggesting the op wants one of those)

Soldato
Just looked on Gumtree and it's awash with these quasi-home breeders after easy money, all made up breeds going for £2000+ etc.

Buying from these people you are just fuelling it.

Associate
Getting a Boxer here in 4 weeks, family dated back 30+ years, grandfather won various shows. All heart checked and KC registered. £1600.

For a family pet which can hopefully see past 14 years I see it as small change. Now these were £600 5 years ago when we last looked.

Associate
Getting a Boxer here in 4 weeks, family dated back 30+ years, grandfather won various shows. All heart checked and KC registered. £1600.

For a family pet which can hopefully see past 14 years I see it as small change. Now these were £600 5 years ago when we last looked.

I got a bridge to sell you....

Caporegime

Don't want to crap on your parade here but you'll be lucky to see just over half of that from a boxer. They're very prone to cancers and neuro conditions.

Soldato
Been looking at getting a dog myself, guess I'm not that in touch with what prices were/are like but it is sad if its driving more 'puppy farming' :(. Tbh my gf is handling all the details as she knows more about it, but of course we're only considering breeders approved by the kennel club or whatever they're called.
Get a shelter dog.

Better genetics (variation)
and you're giving an animal a home.
And it will be unique
I sort of agree, but aside from wanting a particular breed (which I think we do), there are risks, as I understand it at least. If its been abused then they often never recover fully and can sometimes lash out at people unexpectedly, for example. Might be happy to take that on yourself, but if you're ever planning on having it around children might make you think twice.

Soldato
Been looking at getting a dog myself, guess I'm not that in touch with what prices were/are like but it is sad if its driving more 'puppy farming' :(. Tbh my gf is handling all the details as she knows more about it, but of course we're only considering breeders approved by the kennel club or whatever they're called.

I sort of agree, but aside from wanting a particular breed (which I think we do), there are risks, as I understand it at least. If its been abused then they often never recover fully and can sometimes lash out at people unexpectedly, for example. Might be happy to take that on yourself, but if you're ever planning on having it around children might make you think twice.

Any dog can lash out unexpectedly. You aren't protected by that from buying the dog. Meeting a dog at a shelter, allows you to see its personality (warts and all) better than a few week old puppy at Dave the Breeders house.

Back
Top Bottom