Help with Custom Build PC

Associate
OP
Fair enough, the 5700 XT will serve you well for a good few years then :p

So what are you budgeting ~£1200 just the PC and components? Then a separate budget for the monitor now? Any of us here can help spec you something, Lemin has already given a good starter to go with. But your budget has gone up slightly since it seems.

Then you can just copy/paste it into the CS forum and get a quote for them to build it if you like.

What case are you after as well?

Edit: Here's what I would go with... Obviously change the case if you want something else, just make sure it's ATX and has decent airflow ;)

500GB NVMe drive for your Windows, programs and main games you play. 2TB hard drive for storage, photos, documents, etc if you need it. 3600 CPU is best bang for buck that's a given. The mobo is the best bang for buck with a 3600 at this price point. The Red Devil 5700 XT has a brilliant cooler. Then the trusty WiFi adapter. :p

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,142.79 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Ah I just saw this - this actually sounds great.

I've been fiddling around a bit with the specs, and my budget surely has gone up slightly. I like everything on your list there though and I do want that Phanteks Eclipse P400a RGB case in black. So that certainly works!
I'm really not wanting to go above £1200, especially as I've decided on the Iiyama 24.5" GB2560HSU-B1 which'll be an extra £195.

I have to say I pretty much stick to playing a few games, and only very recently got into FPS games. As such, I surely won't need the 1TB NVME right? Or at least I could look at upgrading a few years down the line if it actually got to a stage where I was struggling with the memory?

Also, is there a noticeable difference between the Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card and the Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Dragon 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphic Card ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah the black version is very nice too. :)

Storage wise - of course not, if you want to keep it under budget - no harm sticking with the 500GB NVMe at all mate. It's plenty for your OS and a couple of your main games anyway. Don't forget I also added a 2TB hard drive for storage in my spec, which is plenty for a bunch of other games to install on too, that aren't dependant on fast map load times. Plus there for anything like documents, downloads, photos, music etc.

Tbh if you don't even need that 2TB storage for other things, you could go completely NVMe/SSD and don't bother with 'slow' hard drives at all, like I and many others have started to do. If you can work with 500GB NVMe for now, you could bin off the 2TB HDD I added, that saves you £60 and enables you to either get a 1TB NVMe now... or wait til you fill the 500GB NVMe. Then later on buy another 1TB SSD at a later time or something. Depends how much storage you use atm and if you have a lot of extra storage needs?

If you ever wanted more fast SSD storage, you have a bunch of SATA ports you can fill anyway - so can add extra SSDs later on if you start to fill everything. :p

Edit: Monitor wise, the Iiyama is a pretty decent shout. Another one worth looking into is the Acer XF240Q monitor, have a look on Google and you can find it for £179.99 delivered. Unfortunately OcUK has next to zero monitors in stock due to the pandemic atm :( Infact that same retailer has the iiyama monitor you mention for £189.99 so you could maybe compare the two (OcUK doesn't stock it so)

Last edited:
Soldato
So the PSU has gone out of stock, so had to up it to the 750w version - there's only 1 left though, so hopefully you're ordering soon :p

Also if you wanted to reduce the cost by <£40 for very very small performance loss (it's mainly the better cooler and overclock you lose) but it's the same GPU, change to the 5700 XT Red Dragon version.

Lastly, changed the M.2 to the 1TB version and dropped the 2TB HDD if you don't need it.

So it would look something like this... But will let you mix & match to decide, it's £12 cheaper than the previous spec - just changing the GPU model, upped to 1TB NVMe and dropped the 2TB HDD :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,130.88 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
It is pretty, isn't it? :D Haha, that's the one thing I can definitely agree on.

I don't really have that much in terms of storage needs at the moment - I have an external hard drive for most of my documents, videos, photos etc. and the local storage on the current laptop I'm using is only at 221GB (idk if that helps to know at all?).

Yeah I've definitely noticed monitor stock is a bit scarce on here, but I'm perfectly content to buy it elsewhere.

There were a few components in your build that were out of stock, so my build is currently this:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...d3,U@bHqg3$u8bHsr3+XWbHss3+Y;bKDM3!8XbMFP3.?-

Although I'd like to swap out some bits for the following:
1 x TP-Link Archer T4E Dual-Band Wireless AC1200 PCI-E Adapter= £29.99
1 x WD Blue SN550 500GB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS500G2B0C)= £71.99
1 x Team Group Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - RGB Black (TF1D4)

Edit: There isn't an easier way for me to install the OS myself is there? I think that's the main price difference between what you've totalled to mine

Soldato
Just posted same time as you mate lol - have a read of my latest post, all items are in stock (it was only the PSU that went :p) Your spec is the Red Dragon model I noticed anyway also, so that reduces £40.

You don't have to link a pre-built system to CS forum for OcUK to build from that btw. You can just copy/paste say the basket I posted above to the CS forum, then just ask how much to have it built & shipped to you ;) (or even just link this thread or my post if you finalise it as that)

Edit: Just thought my spec you'll need to get a W10 license, you can get an OEM key from a popular auction site for just a few quid. That'll save ~£100. All you have to do is download W10 to a USB stick or something, then install W10 to the NVMe when the PC arrives :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ah I see we did! Okay yeah, you've basically narrowed it down to the bits I wanted but perfected it - amazing!

Is downloading W10 actually as easy as you're making it sound?

Soldato
Yep - if you get a W10 key from that popular auction site - they just email you the download link from the Microsoft website to get the image file. You just download that, extract it (7-Zip or WinRAR) then copy/paste all the files/folders to an empty formatted USB stick.

Then when PC arrives, you just plug the USB drive in, boot up from it and run the W10 install process. Put in your key when prompted. Job done.

Soldato
Yeah the only decent alternative mobo with built-in wifi, that's in stock, is the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi - but that's another £40 extra still (if you took out the wifi adapter ofc)

I can't see any other tweaks you can do now to the above spec tbh, without impacting performance...

P.S. I would still just build it yourself btw, much more fun ;) (also saves you waiting and the build fee lol)

Associate
OP
I'm going ahead with pretty much the last build that you had posted.

Haha, you say it confidently because this seems like your bread and butter. I like playing the games, but it's far beyond my forte to build! Gotta take baby steps :D

Associate
OP
So the system unit has been ordered and it feels like it's going to be the longest 2-3 weeks waiting for it! Will definitely post a picture once I've got it all set up.

Having looked at monitors a bit more, I'm a little undecided again. I've got a bunch of options and they're all at the same price point, all Full HD 1920x1080 @144Hz and 24" (except for 1) - but I'm struggling to figure out if there's a hierarchy in terms of brands?
1. Iiyama 4.5” GB2560HSU-B1 G-Master Red Eagle, FreeSync, 1920x1080 @144Hz = £189.99

2. Lenovo G25-10 24.5-inch FHD WLED Gaming Monitor = £175.99

3. HP 21.5” Gaming 54.61cm Full-HD Monitor 144Hz, 1ms Response = £134.99

4. HP 24.5” Gaming 62.23cm Full-HD Monitor 144Hz, 1ms Response = £179.99

5. Acer KG1 Gaming Monitor KG271C Black, Full HD 1920x1080 @144Hz = £169.99

6. Acer Nitro XF2 Gaming Monitor Nitro XF252QP Black, Full HD 1920x1080 @144Hz, FreeSync = £195.49

Lastly, I've managed to source the Alienware 25 Gaming Monitor AW2521HF, Full HD 1920 x 1080 @ 240 Hz for £296.96 - now this is definitely £100 over what I was budgeting for and the system unit already went over budget, so I'm less inclined to go for it, unless I'm told that I'd be crazy not to go for it at the discounted price. Ultimately, I don't really want to overspend and I think I'd enjoy using any of the monitors listed above. However, if alienware really surpasses everything else, I may be persuaded. Although, in honesty there's no way I play anything that would require more than 144Hz, so..

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
With that setup you are ordering you may want to consider 2560x1440 144hz....the gpu will run it very well in games and the system will be more future proof.

I see this monitor may be ideal for you: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...een-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-057-ao.html (not checked reviews of it but aoc seem to do fine for the money from what I heard)

Sometimes spending a bit over budget for something that is considerably better is worth it. :)

My system was built by OCUK, ordered 2nd June arrived 17th but it was worth the wait. :D

Soldato
As much as Alienware make beautiful panels, I think that particular model is overpriced for 1080p :p Yes it has 240Hz refresh rate, but unless you're a real competitive FPS gamer - just not worth it imo! 120-150Hz screens are still the optimal spot in my eyes.

If you was gonna drop £300 on a monitor, you'd be better off going for a decent 1440p 144Hz monitor like the AOC Q27G2U for £280. It's so much nicer and crisp over 1080p :D For the type of games you play, they aren't that demanding so even @ 1440p, you'd get very high FPS so it'd hit that refresh rate and feel very smooth. I went from 1080p to 1440p early last year on a Dell S2719DGF and it's fantastic. My friend got the AOC I mentioned earlier this year and it's a brilliant monitor as well for the money.

But if you're sticking with 1080p, you can still get a smooth experience for cheaper obviously. If you want a quality 1080p display I'd get something like the ASUS TUF VG249Q, if you search for it you can get it for £219.97.

Edit: Well said @Sycho, echoed my thoughts simultaneously :)

Associate
OP
Makes sense and I get what you guys are saying. I definitely agree that getting something future proof would be beneficial, which is certainly why I went over budget with the system unit; but does a monitor make that much of a difference?

I'm nowhere near the landscape of competitive gaming, so it really would be unnecessary for me to go crazy here. I've definitely written off the alienware monitor - it does look beautifully designed though!

I have looked into the 1440p monitors a little, but if I'm honest I think I'll still appreciate the high quality graphics on 1080p, at least to start off with anyway. Perhaps later down the line, if I decide I want to get a second monitor, I can consider something along the lines of the AOC. I definitely like the look of the ASUS VG249Q and in an effort to *TRY* and keep to a budget, it may be the far forward!

@Sycho You got yours in like 2 weeks then? - that sounds pretty speedy. I was definitely expecting delays due to covid, but seems promising. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst your PC is the heart of it all obviously, your monitor is almost equally as important, it's what you're going to be staring at for many hours a day. You want it to give you nice vibrant, crisp and clear image don't you? :p 1440p for me at least, was like going from 720p to Full 1080p HD all over again. You just get a lot more 'space' desktop/windows wise, your games feel that extra crisp. You can fit more windows on the screen simultaneously. Basically all down to the fact you're getting more Pixels Per Inch (PPI) in your display.

That said, 1080p is still very nice. But when you get used to something better, you just want to stick with that. Like you say, you could always get a decent 1080p monitor now, then get a 1440p at a later time and go dual monitors :D Keeping the 1080p for videos/browsing whilst gaming on the 1440p. ;) In the world of tech, I always prefer to spend that extra few quid on quality products - then skimp and feel like I should've gone that little step further in the first place... (if my wallet allows me too anyway)

Edit: If you really want a cheaper monitor to keep the budget in check, have a look at the AOC 24G2U/BK which is solid 1080p display, you can get it for £189.99.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You make a valid point but I needed to be talked down from overspending, not have it encouraged!! :p

This is certainly the biggest investment I've made into my small world of gaming and it won't be the last. I'll have a bit more of a browse at the 1440p monitors and see what I find, but I'm almost certain that I should just stick to my initial plan and go for 1080p at 144Hz. I'm saving for a house atm too, so my priorities are all over the place!

Associate
OP
I feel so picky, for no reason at all! (SORRY!)

I actually preferred the overall appearance of the ASUS one you initially suggested and the specs are pretty much in line with the AOC. Think I'll end up on that! Will let you know :p

Back
Top Bottom