Telescope recommendations

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting my dad a telescope. I'm aware you can spends thousands on them, but my budget is only around £100. Any suggestions around this price? Or is everything around that price range just tat?

No need for it to be a travel version. Static is fine.

Soldato
Unfortunately at 100 quid most new will be poor. Optics may be reasonable but the mounts will be horrible. Is the second hand market of any interest to you? Some really nice scopes can be had second hand.

Associate
Not worth it for £100.
If you do decide then just buy a refracting telescope.
You might be better off buying a good pair of 8 x 50 binoculars.

Soldato
OP
Doh, one says get reflector, one says get refracter!

I'm not keen on the second hand market when I'm not clued up on the item as I wouldn't know whether I'd been sold a dud.

What about if I stretch to something like the Celestron AstroMaster 102AZ?

Soldato
Having just bought a Skywatcher 200P and EQ5 Mount I can offer a little bit of advice.

The minimum I would get is a Skywatcher 130P/PDS. DS Is Dual Speed, the 130P will run you £142 on Rother Valley Optics so worth a look around for a cheaper price. I know it's above your budget but it will be worth the extra cost.

Try https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/ this site too.

Associate
We bought our first telescope before Xmas and was in a similar situation. I had some good advice from someone I know and he said get a refractor if its your first telescope - reason being that reflectors require a certain amount of maintenance to keep the mirrors aligned and if it gets little knocks as you move it this can put it out. The benefit is better colour representation but in this price range I think you will be fine. We bought a celestron astromaster EQ90. Slightly more than your price range but weve been happy with it!

Back
Top Bottom