Checking some copyright

Soldato
Hi all

Hopefully this is in the right section..

My wife does a lot of sewing and makes a lot of baby bits, bibs, dresses,tops etc... Normal she will use plain fabric or patterned material but shes got a few spare Disney character bits...

My question is, Can she use this and make something like a dress for our daughter or will it fall under any copyright law?

Thought id ask on here as there are many knowledgeable people on here and id rather my wife not get in trouble :p

Thanks

Soldato
For your own use it'll be fine, just don't try to sell it

Disney aren't going to kick your front door down and send in an army of lawyers because your wife made a dress out of an old Frozen pillowcase :p

Soldato
OP
Surely, you'd only even begin to get in to this sort of territory if you sold it?

For your own use it'll be fine, just don't try to sell it

I did have this feeling, she won't be selling it so all should be OK :)

Leading off my first question, How can a shop in town sell it to her if your not allowed to sale bits you make?

Is it because it's a shop and they have some sort of licence?

Soldato
I did have this feeling, she won't be selling it so all should be OK :)

Leading off my first question, How can a shop in town sell it to her if your not allowed to sale bits you make?

Is it because it's a shop and they have some sort of licence?

Sometimes it has the appropriate copyright licence but a lot of it doesn't and the shop and/or supplier will just sell it in the hope they don't get caught. Online stuff gets taken down a lot quicker as its easier to find.

Doesn't really matter for personal use, I don't think they'll hold your daughter hostage if you visit Disney World or similar :p Disney do protect their copyright very strongly for people selling it though, even small Disney fan sellers get their stuff taken down if they try to sell things like art or craft work.

Soldato
OP
Sometimes it has the appropriate copyright licence but a lot of it doesn't and the shop and/or supplier will just sell it in the hope they don't get caught. Online stuff gets taken down a lot quicker as its easier to find.

Doesn't really matter for personal use, I don't think they'll hold your daughter hostage if you visit Disney World or similar :p Disney do protect their copyright very strongly for people selling it though, even small Disney fan sellers get their stuff taken down if they try to sell things like art or craft work.

Yeah I read on a forum someone had their ads taking down almost immediately because it was Disney related bits, I suppose if it's not online it's harder to track down

Armed response unit within 5 minutes of the bobbin coming to a rest to be honest.

:p I'll board the windows and doors up now then

Back
Top Bottom