Mayhems Pastel White Splitting

Soldato
What was the end result for everyone?

I've had the premix Pastel White in my rig for a couple of weeks and I've noticed it's lost some of its opaqueness. Someone suggested I had my pump too slow. It was set to increase with water temp but I've now got it set to static 45%.

Associate
pastels are show fluids only arent they?

EDIT - checked website, seems they suggest 2 year lifespan in a loop. i bet they havent fixed the flaw they had years ago that made it change. when asked they will likely state pastels are just a show/temporary coolant.

Associate
OP

EDIT - checked website, seems they suggest 2 year lifespan in a loop. i bet they havent fixed the flaw they had years ago that made it change. when asked they will likely state pastels are just a show/temporary coolant.

They still state 2 years, Too Tall and I have had lengthy discussions with Mayhems, who've been really good it has to be said.

Outcome for me is the same as Too Tall, Mayhems sent a Blitz kit, plus clear concentrates plus water.

Soldato

You're mixing up Pastels and Aurora.

Soldato

Its the Aurora line thats the show fluids.

I used to have white pastel in one of my HTPC builds
A1Js9Xi.jpg

I did notice after a week slight dilution. I ended up keeping it in the loop for about a year. At the end of it, it had lost about half its opaqueness I would say. When I stripped build down blocks particles did settle at lowest points, in particular GPU block. This was with parts brand new and flushed out first use.

Do look great for a while, but for me and others its seems always split, but now just settled on using chrome tubing to hide it all and distilled water with inhibitors in.

Associate
OP
I think everyone expects issues with pastels given enough time, difference here is too tall and I saw this in only hours and days. Mayhems looked into it and found a random problem with all pastels so removed them from sale.

Soldato
I think everyone expects issues with pastels given enough time, difference here is too tall and I saw this in only hours and days. Mayhems looked into it and found a random problem with all pastels so removed them from sale.

Wow did not realise they took them from sales altogether. Shame as they along with Aurora do look great when they work, granted later is just for show.

Soldato
jFrwy9c.jpg

Just finished my install this weekend (ignore the cable mess, I'm waiting on sone white sleeving to turn up). No issues so far and all the major components bar the 140mm radiator are second hand. I used premix fluid in my loop and not concentrate, dated March 2020.

Before it was put together I stripped everything down and throughly cleaned it. Then used both parts of the blitz kit on the radiators and full loop. I flushed it 3 more times with deionised water before filling it with pastel.

Soldato
jFrwy9c.jpg

Just finished my install this weekend (ignore the cable mess, I'm waiting on sone white sleeving to turn up). No issues so far and all the major components bar the 140mm radiator are second hand. I used premix fluid in my loop and not concentrate, dated March 2020.

Before it was put together I stripped everything down and throughly cleaned it. Then used both parts of the blitz kit on the radiators and full loop. I flushed it 3 more times with deionised water before filling it with pastel.
Be interested to see how yours looks in a few weeks. Mine has lost some of its opaqueness but the blocks don’t look like they’re covered in any residue. Temps are also okay.

Soldato
We'll see. Even before it went in the system I was surprised by the opacity of it. This is the first time I've used pastel so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this. It's more like cordial than milk when you look closely.

Having read the nightmares people have had i'm partially expecting to have to strip it down within the next 2-3 months. If I'm honest I wouldn't have a problem with doing so anyway as I'm not best pleased at having to route a tube right across the top of the case from one radiator to the other anyway. The only reason I've done that is because the orginal planned the route had the flow going backwards through the graphics card block.

Temperatures are amazing. 15-20°c drop on the graphics card and 10-15°c on the CPU. All inside such a small case with limited air flow. No overclocks yet.

Associate
Its the Aurora line thats the show fluids.

I used to have white pastel in one of my HTPC builds
A1Js9Xi.jpg

I did notice after a week slight dilution. I ended up keeping it in the loop for about a year. At the end of it, it had lost about half its opaqueness I would say. When I stripped build down blocks particles did settle at lowest points, in particular GPU block. This was with parts brand new and flushed out first use.

Do look great for a while, but for me and others its seems always split, but now just settled on using chrome tubing to hide it all and distilled water with inhibitors in.

yea, the thing with mine was it got a little duller and bits did settle, was easy to see as my reservoir was on its side. once i noticed it the amount of gunk i could see didnt increase it stayed the same for well over a year.

Soldato
They still state 2 years, Too Tall and I have had lengthy discussions with Mayhems, who've been really good it has to be said.

Outcome for me is the same as Too Tall, Mayhems sent a Blitz kit, plus clear concentrates plus water.
I raised a ticket with them and had the same outcome. Package arrived today containing Blitz kit, 5L of X1 clear and a 250ml bottle of X1 clear concentrate. Ball ache having to strip the loop but can't fault the customer service. Still waiting on a part to arrive as I'll be making a few wee tweaks when I dismantle it. Temps are still fine on it but looks like it'll be fun and games cleaning out the GPU block!

Soldato
So 2 weeks in and it seems to be OK for me. There's some definite thinning of the paint in the tubes at the top of the case but it nothing as extreme as what's been posted on here. I'll post some photos later.

Soldato
So 2 weeks in and it seems to be OK for me. There's some definite thinning of the paint in the tubes at the top of the case but it nothing as extreme as what's been posted on here. I'll post some photos later.

Fingers crossed it stays that way mate. I've just spent about 7 hours cleaning my rig out (probably due to inexperience). Let the radiators soak overnight with the Mayhems Blitz part 1. This morning I opened up the blocks and gave them a clean. There was white residue all over them, but it just wiped of so no big issue there. The biggest issue I had was the o-ring for the GPU block. When I fitted it back in, it had somehow stretched and it no longer fit! After several attempts at sticking it in the freezer to shrink it I eventually managed to get it to go in by getting it to within a 2 couple of milimetres and then sitting a block of ice on the "kinked" part of the o-ring until it settled then I quickly put the block back on and screwed it shut. So far so good, no leaks.

The tubes were also coated in the same residue as the blocks so I just cut more tubes, gave me a chance to shorten some of them. Although Mayhems sent me some replacement coolant, I had XSPC premix clear coolant so used that for now.

Now just got to let the wee bubbles work their way out (although I think it does kinda look cool with them in there!)

lRP9pmf.jpg

Soldato
Here's some photos. You can see where it's quite transparent in some of the pipes and to be fair it was like that straight out of the bottle so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not. Doesn't seem to have changed in the reservoir or GPU block from when I installed it. Early days yet though.

Still need to sort out the dreadful ATX and USB 3.0 cables.

ZK3BgbG.jpg

Ca9kOS5.jpg

k6RFCzQ.jpg

Soldato
Fingers crossed it stays that way mate. I've just spent about 7 hours cleaning my rig out (probably due to inexperience). Let the radiators soak overnight with the Mayhems Blitz part 1. This morning I opened up the blocks and gave them a clean. There was white residue all over them, but it just wiped of so no big issue there. The biggest issue I had was the o-ring for the GPU block. When I fitted it back in, it had somehow stretched and it no longer fit! After several attempts at sticking it in the freezer to shrink it I eventually managed to get it to go in by getting it to within a 2 couple of milimetres and then sitting a block of ice on the "kinked" part of the o-ring until it settled then I quickly put the block back on and screwed it shut. So far so good, no leaks.

The tubes were also coated in the same residue as the blocks so I just cut more tubes, gave me a chance to shorten some of them. Although Mayhems sent me some replacement coolant, I had XSPC premix clear coolant so used that for now.

Now just got to let the wee bubbles work their way out (although I think it does kinda look cool with them in there!)

lRP9pmf.jpg

Weird thing is, I kinda like those bubbles as well hahaha, weird effect!

Back
Top Bottom