Do I have enough power? Usb3 slots not always working

Associate
Death Star or Mount Doom, it depends on the day.
Howdy all, as stated in the title.

My Oculus CV1 doesn't appear to always pick up on the USB3 speeds when I have my head set plugged in. I have done a psu calculor and it came back with my exact psu recommended as noted below in my signature.
The reason I'm suspecting it's my psu as my VR headset and razer gaming keyboard seem to take it in turns to draw the power.
Does anyone have an idea what it could be? I've plugged my VR headset into different Usb3 slots and it does the same as it will only channel usb2.

This only seems to have been more apparent since I got my new 2070 super.

Soldato
That's more like motherboard/BIOS/driver problem.
USB devices won't draw much power.

You could try connecting different things into different ports.
Certainly would put keyboard into USB2.

Associate
Howdy all, as stated in the title.

My Oculus CV1 doesn't appear to always pick up on the USB3 speeds when I have my head set plugged in. I have done a psu calculor and it came back with my exact psu recommended as noted below in my signature.
The reason I'm suspecting it's my psu as my VR headset and razer gaming keyboard seem to take it in turns to draw the power.
Does anyone have an idea what it could be? I've plugged my VR headset into different Usb3 slots and it does the same as it will only channel usb2.

This only seems to have been more apparent since I got my new 2070 super.
Have you seen the following article about balancing bandwidth on your USB ports:

Associate
OP
Associate
Tar dude, I'll have a look. I went into my case before and re inserted the leads to make sure and I have the exact same issue. It's very annoying. This has only happened since I got my 2070 Super.
When you fitted your 2070 Super:
  • Did you remove any of the USB leads from the PC and if so, did you put them back in exactly the same USB ports?
  • Did you uninstall/install/upgrade any drivers?

Associate
OP
When you fitted your 2070 Super:
  • Did you remove any of the USB leads from the PC and if so, did you put them back in exactly the same USB ports?
  • Did you uninstall/install/upgrade any drivers?

No mate, I never needed to remove the USB leads. I done a complete fresh install on my g drivers. That's all!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah I do. It's going to my son. I've had my psu about 5 years I think.
Do you still have it?
If so, would it be possible to refit it?
If you do swap it back (keeping the same driver as now) and it works, then that would help confirm your PSU suspicions.
Otherwise, we will have to keep thinking!

You know what it was a simple repair of the the oculus drivers... not had the problem since.

Back
Top Bottom