old car modern coolant?

Soldato
iv got a old mk3 zetec fiesta thats been using the blue coolant forever and changing every 2 years (had the car for 22 years now).
i like modern coolants that have long life but was not sure if i can switch to them having a cast iron block and aluminium head.
iv come across this: https://www.holtsauto.com/prestone/products/coolant-antifreeze-ready-use/

Guaranteed corrosion protection for 150,000 miles/10 years
Protection in all extremes from -37°C to 129°C
Guaranteed for all cars and light commercial vehicles
Add to any coolant/antifreeze
---------------------------------------------------------------

will this stuff actually work in my old car? it would save a massive amount of headache and cost if it can actually go the 10 years (mileage is irrelevant to me since i do leek than 3k a year.)

Soldato
OP
Can do just hate dumping it every 2 years with less than 6k miles on it. Bad for environment too i guess. But dont want to get lazy i i guess and risk engine damage down the line

Caporegime
In the grand scheme of things that’s still a relatively modern engine, it’s hardly an old Crossflow or Essex engine for example.

If it was mine, I’d swap to the modern stuff. :)

Associate
Iron block and alloy head here in my Fiat Coupe, been running modern coolant for years. Sure yours will be fine, just don't mix different types of coolant.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
My 25 year old saab with a cast iron block and aluminium head uses G48 which is the same as current BMWs. (Nitrite free) Which is very convenient as it also goes in my mini, dad's 140 and my PC too. Doesn't last 10 years though. Personally, I wouldn't trust any coolant past 5 years regardless.

Caporegime
My 25 year old saab with a cast iron block and aluminium head uses G48 which is the same as current BMWs. (Nitrite free) Which is very convenient as it also goes in my mini, dad's 140 and my PC too. Doesn't last 10 years though. Personally, I wouldn't trust any coolant past 5 years regardless.

My Saab 9-5 when I bought it came with red coolant so have been using that. I never thought to check what it actually takes! I use Toyota Red in mine as it is the same in my GT-Four and I can mix it to what level I want.

Associate
iv got a old mk3 zetec fiesta thats been using the blue coolant forever and changing every 2 years (had the car for 22 years now).
i like modern coolants that have long life but was not sure if i can switch to them having a cast iron block and aluminium head.
iv come across this: https://www.holtsauto.com/prestone/products/coolant-antifreeze-ready-use/

Guaranteed corrosion protection for 150,000 miles/10 years
Protection in all extremes from -37°C to 129°C
Guaranteed for all cars and light commercial vehicles
Add to any coolant/antifreeze
---------------------------------------------------------------

will this stuff actually work in my old car? it would save a massive amount of headache and cost if it can actually go the 10 years (mileage is irrelevant to me since i do leek than 3k a year.)

Avoid the newer OAT (organic acid technology) anti-freeze in older vehicles - it may damage copper/brass/lead in your cooling system if they are present in components such as the radiator/heater matrix/water pump.
If I remember correctly, OAT came out about 20 years ago, so check with Ford and see what they recommend.
Also, Google it and you will find lots of info out there:

Soldato
OP
The only thing i dont get is how that Prestone antifreez says its suitable for all cars. Maybe i can email them for more specifics.

I know my car has a regular radiator. I replaced it few years back standard aluminium with plastic end tanks.
Waterpump looks aluminium housing impleller may be steel and its painted.
Heater matrix im not sure of. Replacement parts look to be aluminium so original one could be the same.
Iron block and aluminium head.
10 year corrosion protection from Prestone is very tempting just need to find out if its gonna be safe for my car.

Associate
Ford recommend the blue ethalyne glycol stuff. Guess i can stick to it. Its priced ok at eurocarparts. Just a hassle to change every 2 years.
Not all ethylene glycol anti-freeze is blue - I have some Land Rover ethylene glycol which is green (likewise, not all blue anti-freeze is ethylene glycol)

How are you changing it? - are you undoing the bottom hose?

Soldato
OP
my usual method of draining it is to undo the drain plug on the bottom of the radiator, when the flow stops i pump air into the expansion tank which gets even more coolant out. thats usually the best method and easiest for me as long as the car is facing downhill it gets most of it out.
if i was to change coolant type then i would run a few cycles of distilled water through it till it drains out clear.

Soldato
OP
Avoid the newer OAT (organic acid technology) anti-freeze in older vehicles - it may damage copper/brass/lead in your cooling system if they are present in components such as the radiator/heater matrix/water pump.
If I remember correctly, OAT came out about 20 years ago, so check with Ford and see what they recommend.
Also, Google it and you will find lots of info out there:

thats odd, i just read this here: https://www.holtsauto.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/11/PrestoneCoolantGuaranteeCertificate.pdf

it says: "Is FREE from Silicates, Phosphates, Borates, Nitrates and Amines"

how does the antifreeze/coolant work if its free from all those? all other coolants on the market use the stuff that prestone claims not to have. odd.

Associate
my usual method of draining it is to undo the drain plug on the bottom of the radiator, when the flow stops i pump air into the expansion tank which gets even more coolant out. thats usually the best method and easiest for me as long as the car is facing downhill it gets most of it out.
if i was to change coolant type then i would run a few cycles of distilled water through it till it drains out clear.
It's obvious you really look after your car - how long have you had it? (I've had one of my vehicles for 25 years)

Associate
thats odd, i just read this here: https://www.holtsauto.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/11/PrestoneCoolantGuaranteeCertificate.pdf

it says: "Is FREE from Silicates, Phosphates, Borates, Nitrates and Amines"

how does the antifreeze/coolant work if its free from all those? all other coolants on the market use the stuff that prestone claims not to have. odd.

The Prestone stuff is just antifreeze with no anticorrosion additives. I believe it is just supposed to be used for top-ups and as it has no additives, there ar eno issues with incompatibility. Pretty much all antifreeze is ethylene glycol. Some is now slightly infgerior propylene glycol as they can virtue signal it is 'eco friendly' but they are intermixable and almost identical.

Soldato
OP
prestone must have corrosion inhibitors since it claims "Provides extended life of up to 150,000 miles or up to 10 years corrosion protection1"

"1. When cooling system is flushed and filled with Prestone coolant/antifreeze"

came across evans stuff which is even more bizzare but the price made me close the window fast. lol

Back
Top Bottom